Not open for further replies.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Why not mention increased crime rates among those in poverty? Black people have around three times as many in poverty than white. Certainly a factor, yes? That pulls away from the broader statement implying it's a black thing.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I just looked it up.

Current white pop%: 72.4
    Current black pop%: 12.6

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_ethnicity_in_the_United_States

2018 white violent crime, total, %: 199,533, 46.2%
    2018 black violent crime, total, %: 187,123, 43.3%

https://crime-data-explorer.fr.cloud.gov/explorer/national/united-states/crime

Relative white violent crime rate: 0.638
    Relative black violent crime rate: 3.44

3.44 / 0.638 = 5.39

So, I revise my numbers. Based on 2018, the violent crime rate for black criminals is down to only five and a half times that of white criminals.

(Keep in mind, though, that 8.5% of violent crimes in 2018 have offenders of unknown race. So, there's a pretty big margin of error here.)

All these statistics...are they correlation or causation? Does causation matter?

I am all about personal responsibility but are there exceptions? Trigger will post actions he will take to protect his family at all costs without regard as to what may be the consequences. Could it be that could a contributor? If one's family is starving would that matter ? Do we just let the statistics stand on their own as proof of something?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Why not mention increased crime rates among those in poverty? Black people have around three times as many in poverty than white. Certainly a factor, yes? That pulls away from the broader statement implying it's a black thing.

Well, it's certainly a lot easier to earn a living when you're not incarcerated.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Gamers rise up

EZhqv8cWAAAw1Es

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Since statistics can't be racist or wrong on their own, the left tries to claim it's just a meme to attempt to discredit it.

Why would a cop pull you out of a car if you were obeying his orders?
    :dunno: I’m actually referring to a real case that happened in Louisville, which does/did have some version of stop and frisk, as an example. The young black man made an improper turn. He turned right onto a 4 lane road two each way, and instead of turning into the right lane, he turned into the left lane. I see that all the time. I’ve seen it with cops around, I’ve even seen cops do it. Never seen anyone pulled over. But that kid got pulled over for it. The kid cooperated through the whole thing. Early in the the stop the cop opened the door and pulled the kid out, and patted him down. Nothing found. Then they got the dog out and hooked the kid up “for his own safety”. Of course the dog “indicated”. They searched the car. Nothing found. 30 minutes later they let him go. No RAS. They just did it. Of course the kid complained about what they were doing. But he cooperated.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    :dunno: I’m actually referring to a real case that happened in Louisville, which does/did have some version of stop and frisk, as an example. The young black man made an improper turn. He turned right onto a 4 lane road two each way, and instead of turning into the right lane, he turned into the left lane. I see that all the time. I’ve seen it with cops around, I’ve even seen cops do it. Never seen anyone pulled over. But that kid got pulled over for it. The kid cooperated through the whole thing. Early in the the stop the cop opened the door and pulled the kid out, and patted him down. Nothing found. Then they got the dog out and hooked the kid up “for his own safety”. Of course the dog “indicated”. They searched the car. Nothing found. 30 minutes later they let him go. No RAS. They just did it. Of course the kid complained about what they were doing. But he cooperated.

I'd be guilty of that a lot. It's a stupid rule. Turn into the lane you're going to be driving in and be done with it. Although Jetta would suggest that you wait until the last minute and cut off traffic to get where you should have been a few miles previously.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

When I was in college, I was driving home from a 4th of July celebration in Evansville. Got pulled over in a small southern Indiana town. I was detained for about an hour because they were sure that I had drugs in my car. No probable cause other than I was driving late at night. I fully cooperated and they let me go, obviously without finding anything because I’ve never even so much as had a drink of alcohol in my entire life. It was probably profiling because there are a lot of small southern Indiana, mainly low-income white cities that have major drug problems. It was inconvenient for sure but I cooperated the whole time without incident.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Because you repeated a meme. You may not acknowledge or like that it's a meme at this point, but it is.

No, I didn't repeat a meme. I used statistics that I, personally, looked up from FBI UCR data. That the statistics are similar to a meme is purely coincidental.

Because I'm not following the thread all that much. I opened it, saw the meme, and pointed it out.

No. You opened it, saw what resembled a meme, and then assumed that it was the meme. The real irony there is that, in accusing me of repeating a meme lacking in nuance and context, you completely ignored the nuance and context in which I used the statistics in question.

It's fine to have broad data to get an overview, but you should only use it for broad overviews. Broad overviews aren't all that helpful in conversation or in policy, especially in the hands of laymen.

...which is why I'm still waiting for your similar critique of the graph to which I was responding.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    All these statistics...are they correlation or causation? Does causation matter?

They are neither correlation nor causation. They are merely raw numbers. I make no claims of causation regarding these numbers. (That seems to be a concept interjected by GPIA7R.)

I am all about personal responsibility but are there exceptions? Trigger will post actions he will take to protect his family at all costs without regard as to what may be the consequences. Could it be that could a contributor? If one's family is starving would that matter ? Do we just let the statistics stand on their own as proof of something?

Again, it seems that context is entirely lost. I posted the statistics in response to a claim that "men of color are more likely to be killed by police" that was based on similar statistics showing deaths based on percent population.

Why do these particular statistics seem to cause such agitation for some? I posted other statistics, showing deaths per 10,000 for black/white persons based on violent and overall crime rates. They didn't seem to garner quite so much...interest.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom