Anyone use one of the cheap water purifiers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    One of the plastic ones you pour water in the top and it filters the water and has a spout at the bottom? One you leave in the fridge. I want to get one for my Mother. She said she doesn't like the taste of the tap water. Heck I drink it out of the hose. Maybe something on the zon.

I guess one without the tap at the bottom isn't bad. She just can't handle anything to heavy to refill. (Like a full gallon milk jug)

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    One of the plastic ones you pour water in the top and it filters the water and has a spout at the bottom? One you leave in the fridge. I want to get one for my Mother. She said she doesn't like the taste of the tap water. Heck I drink it out of the hose. Maybe something on the zon.

I guess one without the tap at the bottom isn't bad. She just can't handle anything to heavy to refill. (Like a full gallon milk jug)
    I've used them (Brita) and for removing smell and taste they work ok. Undersink reverse osmosis system is a better solution for removing contaminants. Pitcher will be close to a half gallon milk jug when full but she doesn't have to fill it all the way for it to work. They also make filter holders for carbon filters w/o the r/o component that you could plumb into a spigot on the sink.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville

Seem to remember that they used to have a filter that attached direct to the tap that filtered it as it came out. Think it even had a bypass to save the filter if using water for dishes or something. Haven't seen one for a while, though.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    If taste & smell is the main concern an under sink simple sediment & carbon filter would be easiest imo - just unscrew supply line, connect to filter, reconnect supply, and you’re good for months.

Those that replace the aerator on the faucet are fine too, but don’t last quite as long (filter and in general) and look kinda goofy

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    I think they still have them. I wonder if they do a good job taking the odd taste out.
    Found this article online, might be a starting point if you end up going this route.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    The article stated that they lasted about 3 months, so not really intrusive, but I've also never had one so I don't really know...
    Based on how more water you use. If you use it for washing, you will plug them up a lot quicker. I just looked and they have some kind of sensor on them to tell when they get restricted.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    Based on how more water you use. If you use it for washing, you will plug them up a lot quicker. I just looked and they have some kind of sensor on them to tell when they get restricted.
    Ok, well it was just a thought. We use a Brita filter system along with the filter system on the fridge and both take the iron taste from our well water, so those work well, also.

Top Bottom