• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    How is burning down your local retail stores a protest against police violence?

Also, are there any videos of the complete LEO encounter? All I see are videos strategically cut to avoid showing what happened precisely before he was on the ground.

You should have been around in April of 1968 for the DC and Baltimore burnings.
    Along with other citys across the US.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    As a Target store, a liquor store, and an AutoZone were all overcome by looters, a KARE-TV reporter noted to Police Chief Medaria Arradondo that there was no police presence at the locations during an evening interview. Police Chief Arradondo explained, "Our main priority for our officers there are the safety of those who are out there."

When push comes to shove, you better be ready to be on your own... because you are.
    Reminds me a little of the summer of '92 in LA.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Except for, you know, the guy who was summarily executed while in police custody. He doesn't need his due process.

Right. That's why everybody is just blowing it off and going about their business.

Oh, wait. That's the exact opposite of what's happening. Who's saying it was ok?

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    Right. That's why everybody is just blowing it off and going about their business.

Oh, wait. That's the exact opposite of what's happening. Who's saying it was ok?

I was responding to Expat's comment about how the criminal justice system should run for this guy.

Due process for me but not for thee. If we treated this officer the way he treated George we wouldn't be giving him the benefit of any doubt. We would be combing through his past to see if he even jaywalked once.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I was responding to Expat's comment about how the criminal justice system should run for this guy.

Due process for me but not for thee. If we treated this officer the way he treated George we wouldn't be giving him the benefit of any doubt. We would be combing through his past to see if he even jaywalked once.

That's exactly how the criminal justice system should run for the officers. And for every accused criminal. You don't murder someone accused of murder, you don't batter someone accused of battery. Yes, they victimized someone. That's what makes them in the wrong. Us doing the same thing in return is a lynch mob, not rule of law.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Watching the video, the people have every right to be outraged and to protest. Any one of us mere civilians would have been arrested and charged immediately... but riots will not help their cause a single bit. It will only reinforce the "us vs them" attitudes.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Any one of us mere civilians would have been arrested and charged immediately...

No, that's how you imagine it works. I can give you multiple examples to the contrary, some in the media and many that aren't. Once you make an arrest, you start a ticking clock to formally file charges. 72 hours, generally. If you can't make a charge in 72 hours, you have to release the suspect. Locking someone up too early in the investigation is stupid. There is sometimes pressure to do so on APE* cases, but that's how you end up with a no-file. Nothing precludes a refile later down the road, but imagine the headline if the officers were arrested and no filed 72 hours later. Would "will refile once autopsy results are in" be part of the headline? No. It'd just fan the lynch mob and rioter mentality.

*A Political Emergency

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

So he should just be dragged out into the street and lynched? Or allow some mob to do so? That isn't how things work in this country. I have not defended his actions at all.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    This has to be an issue with the leadership and training of Minneapolis PD.

The Justine Damond shooting-by-cop, same force. Philandro Castile was in the same area but not sure if it's the same department.

The cop kneeling on his neck has reportedly been involved in three officer-involved shootings, one fatal. One of the other fired cops just settled an excessive-force complaint ...

Dem-run city for 47 years - lack of personnel? Low training budgets? All of the above?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

injustice + injustice =/= justice.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This has to be an issue with the leadership and training of Minneapolis PD.

The Justine Damond shooting-by-cop, same force. Philandro Castile was in the same area but not sure if it's the same department.

The cop kneeling on his neck has reportedly been involved in three officer-involved shootings, one fatal. One of the other fired cops just settled an excessive-force complaint ...

Dem-run city for 47 years - lack of personnel? Low training budgets? All of the above?

Or just a big city with a probability anomaly.

We'll see what the FBI says, I hope.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Optics, and reality, are horrible in this case.

If a cop was doing this to my son, I have a pretty good idea of how I would react.

That being said, to the looters: get off my ****ing lawn.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    As a Target store, a liquor store, and an AutoZone were all overcome by looters, a KARE-TV reporter noted to Police Chief Medaria Arradondo that there was no police presence at the locations during an evening interview. Police Chief Arradondo explained, "Our main priority for our officers there are the safety of those who are out there."

When push comes to shove, you better be ready to be on your own... because you are.
    Reminds me a little of the summer of '92 in LA.
    The memory of the Korean store owners on the roofs protecting their stores like they were the Alamo. Brings a smile to my face thinking about it.

as for the topic at hand, everyone deserves a fair trial. Do I think this officer ****ed up? Yep. And he’ll pay the price as he rightfully should. Rioting is just an excuse to smash **** and steal ****. Period. Shoot on sight. Protesting is a protected act and should be used as needed. Rioting is just a bunch of rabid animals that don’t meet the criteria for a civilized society

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    So he should just be dragged out into the street and lynched? Or allow some mob to do so? That isn't how things work in this country. I have not defended his actions at all.

injustice + injustice =/= justice.

I'm talking less about the actual process and more about how we react when this happens. There have been a ton of, "well...we should wait until all the facts come out" in this thread. But we (as a website, not you two individually) trash the victim asap, finding every time he ran a stop sign or jaywalked or did something stupid 20 years ago. Look at what happened with Arbery and others. The comments about how "he was turning his life around" that gets thrown about this website all the time. We (again, the general INGO vibe, not anyone specifically) never do the same thing with the person who isn't dead.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom