• Status
    Not open for further replies.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I had never heard of police basically abandoning a precinct. Has that happened before?

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    The line is not hard to draw on when to use this equipment.

Is the police force entirely overwhelmed and unable to conduct business as usual? If yes, then deploy the next level of force.
    Could a single sheriff having a sit down conversation with someone probably resolve the situation without a show of force? If yes, then don't deploy excessive force.

What about all this dystopian spying equipment the government has? Are they going to use it to spy on political opponents, or are they going to use it to identify as many people as possible at this riot, and accurately charge and prosecute them for their crimes?

IMO, the last line you said would be the best option. Use the spy equipment and prosecute them later. The way it is right now, meeting them with military equipment is only going to raise tensions and drag this out longer, and it’s going to send the wrong message.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    IMO, the last line you said would be the best option. Use the spy equipment and prosecute them later. The way it is right now, meeting them with military equipment is only going to raise tensions and drag this out longer, and it’s going to send the wrong message.

This won't die down unless the media is gagged on the matter.

There are too big of profit motives here, with the media actively cheering them on.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Looks more like a problem with the law itself rather than the enforcement of the law.

If they are so unable to enforce the law they abandon their department, then why do they feel like they can go around arresting lawful people left behind in the lawless hellscape they allowed the city to devolve into?

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I think the equipment is to be used in situations like the Boston bombings, or the Hollywood bank robbery. An argument can be made that they’re committing acts of terrorism, but that excuse can be made to deploy military equipment in a lot of situations. Should they be deployed when a sporting event turns into a riot? Do we really want the guard marching our streets every time a riot happens? I, personally, do not. I think it opens the door for future leaders to label something “terrorism” and use the military to counter it. What would stop the governor of Virginia from claiming thousands marching with guns to be an act of terrorism if the precedent to use military against citizens has been set? Slippery slope I don’t wish to go down.

The line is not hard to draw on when to use this equipment.

Is the police force entirely overwhelmed and unable to conduct business as usual? If yes, then deploy the next level of force.
    Could a single sheriff having a sit down conversation with someone probably resolve the situation without a show of force? If yes, then don't deploy excessive force.

What about all this dystopian spying equipment the government has? Are they going to use it to spy on political opponents, or are they going to use it to identify as many people as possible at this riot, and accurately charge and prosecute them for their crimes?

P.S. The point at which you abandon a police department because it's being over run, is the point at which all available options of force have been exhausted and you are summarily defeated.
    The police station had explosives and various other things in it, that should have been defended.

Gentlemen, thank you for two very well reasoned and articulate posts on the subject. They both posit rational approaches to trying to resolve the issue at hand.

This is how we discuss things here :yesway:

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Isn't that nice, police refuse to stop the riots, but will arrest you for defending your business...
    https://heavy.com/news/2020/05/john-rieple/

Great way to make us support the police.

Like BBI said earlier, it’s a duty to retreat state. We need to push to change the law, a person should have every right to defend himself, his family, and his business when they’re under attack.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Gentlemen, thank you for two very well reasoned and articulate posts on the subject. They both posit rational approaches to trying to resolve the issue at hand.

This is how we discuss things here :yesway:

Thanks. I like tombs a lot, he obviously cares deeply about the success of our country. This is a touchy matter that needs to be treated as such, any wrong move can have extreme consequences that none of us want to see.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    There could be multiple answers to that question, but I don't subscribe to a theory that says because someone else gets away with lawless behavior means that others should also.

If they are so unable to enforce the law they abandon their department, then why do they feel like they can go around arresting lawful people left behind in the lawless hellscape they allowed the city to devolve into?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Looks more like a problem with the law itself rather than the enforcement of the law.

Yeah, I don't like the "duty to retreat" law. You know, the more I learn about Minnesota in general the less I like it. I always used to think of it as someplace "wild and free", populated by rugged individualists, like part of the "last frontier" kind of state. Boy was I wrong. It's sounding more and more like the California of the midwest. About on par with Illinois in that regard.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I saw a presser with Jacob Frey today. What an excellent example of today's Beta Male.

I wonder if he was born without testicles or if his mom neutered him.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Yeah, I don't like the "duty to retreat" law. You know, the more I learn about Minnesota in general the less I like it. I always used to think of it as someplace "wild and free", populated by rugged individualists, like part of the "last frontier" kind of state. Boy was I wrong. It's sounding more and more like the California of the midwest. About on par with Illinois in that regard.

They elected Ilham Omar.... it says much about what Minnesota is like these days.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Probably more like Minneapolis.

MN is a great state but gets swung around by the Twin Cities especially. Kind of like Chicago and the State of IL.
    They elected Ilham Omar.... it says much about what Minnesota is like these days.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom