Not open for further replies.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    What were they arrested for?

No clue. They weren't doing anything other than protecting public property by keeping the violent mobs back.

Isn't it telling how police pull out all the military equipment to stop fellow patriots, and throw the maximum extent of force possible at them, but ignore communist revolutionaries entirely?

Magically they have the funding and manpower to stop patriots, but not communists.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    No clue. They weren't doing anything other than protecting public property by keeping the violent mobs back.
    Seems like that’d be a false arrest, possibly future litigation. Ridiculous they arrest people not breaking any laws, but let people burning down a city and looting stores walk right by them. I’m slowly losing faith in our country

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    When a soldier falls in service or a veteran passes, it is customary to drape the coffin with a flag of the United States for the funeral and present it to a family member.
    The Flag Itself

The portion of the flag denoting honor is the canton of blue containing the stars representing states our veterans served in uniform. The field of blue dresses from left to right and is inverted only when draped as a funeral cloth over the casket of a veteran who has served our country honorably in uniform. In the U.S. Armed Forces, at the ceremony of retreat, the flag is lowered, folded in a triangle and kept under watch throughout the night as a tribute to our nation’s honored dead. The next morning it is brought out and, at a ceremony of reveille, flown high as a symbol of belief in the resurrection of the body.
    At the conclusion of the funeral the flag is folded 13 times and there is a meaning to those folds:

1. The first fold of our flag is a symbol of life.
    2. The second fold is a symbol of our belief in eternal life.
    3. The third fold is made in honor and remembrance of the veteran departing our ranks, and who gave a portion of his or her life for the defense of our country to attain peace throughout the world.
    4. The fourth fold represents our weaker nature; as American citizens trusting in God, it is Him we turn to in times of peace, as well as in times of war, for His divine guidance.
    5. The fifth fold is a tribute to our country. In the words of Stephen Decatur, “Our country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right, but it is still our country, right or wrong.”
    6. The sixth fold is for where our hearts lie. It is with our heart that we pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    7. The seventh fold is a tribute to our armed forces, for it is through the armed forces that we protect our country and our flag against all enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of our republic.
    8. The eighth fold is a tribute to the one who entered into the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day, and to honor our mother, for whom it flies on Mother’s Day.
    9. The ninth fold is a tribute to womanhood. It has been through their faith, love, loyalty and devotion that has molded the character of the men and women who have made this country great.
    10. The 10th fold is a tribute to father, who has also given his sons and daughters for the defense of our country since he or she was first born.
    11. The 11th fold represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon and glorifies the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
    12. The 12th fold represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies God the Father, the Son and Holy Ghost.
    13. The 13th and last fold, when the flag is completely folded, the stars are uppermost, reminding us of our national motto, “In God We Trust.”
    After folding, the flag takes on a unique shape:
    After the flag is completely folded and tucked in, it has the appearance of a cocked hat, ever reminding us of the soldiers who served under Gen. George Washington and the sailors and Marines who served under Capt. John Paul Jones and were followed by their comrades and shipmates in the U.S. Armed Forces, preserving for us the rights, privileges and freedoms we enjoy today.
    This is a military honor, although if desired, an American may have a small star flag on the casket, but large star flags are for military veterans and (cough) politicians. This is a large star flag.
    iu

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Seems like that’d be a false arrest, possibly future litigation. Ridiculous they arrest people not breaking any laws, but let people burning down a city and looting stores walk right by them. I’m slowly losing faith in our country

Oh, they'll surely come up with some insane charges to throw at them, they're the state after all, and the mayor is demanding the harshest possible treatment of them.

You'd think police would have the common sense to decline an order like this, as to avoid alienating the last subset of people who would have their back.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    [FONT=&quot]Let me say at the outset - no one deserves to die the way he did - there is no dispute on that![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]However....[/FONT]

A pretty poor candidate for martyrdom.

GEORGE FLOYD (1974-2020)

George Floyd, 46, died while being arrested for passing a counterfeit twenty dollar bill in Minneapolis, Mn., on May 25, 2020. George was a lifelong drug addict and career criminal whose interests included selling cocaine and fentanyl, robbing defenseless women during home invasions, and spending time in prison among others like him. The cause of death is undetermined but George, unsurprisingly, tested positive for methamphetamine and fentanyl, two of his favorite recreational drugs.

George recently moved to Minneapolis to get a fresh start and to leave Houston, where he had accumulated at least three convictions for drug offenses and aggravated robbery while armed with a firearm. The fact that his most recent arrest was for a non-violent offense shows that George had finally found his way.

George is survived by several children from several different baby mommas, none of whom had seen him for years because he was only recently released from Texas State Prison after serving a five year sentence for his robbery conviction.

Funeral services will be held on various dates all over the country to honor this pillar of society. Mourners are invited to join violent demonstrations to honor George's memory. Molotov cocktails are requested in lieu of flowers. Murdering an innocent police officer with a wife and young children would also be an acceptable way of demonstrating our respect for George.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    It's certainly not typical to honor someone that has committed armed strongarm breaking and entering with the presentation of a flag though. He died unnecessarily at the hands of police. The police officers have been charged. Millions of dollars worth of property has been destroyed, and lives lost "in his honor", and some of the destroyed businesses may never reopen. I think presenting his family with a flag is a step too far.

Mr. Floyd didn't start the fires.

I tell you what. You stop putting the National Anthem in front of ball games and give it the dignity it deserves, and maybe I'll rethink my position.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011

I tell you what. You stop putting the National Anthem in front of ball games and give it the dignity it deserves, and maybe I'll rethink my position.

You lost me on that last statement. Where is the national anthem allowed?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Football, Bezbol, Soccer,

Whipping up patriotic fervor for sports venues is not appropriate, imho. Too commercialized. Strikes me as marketing manipulation.

But, that's just me.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011

Whipping up patriotic fervor for sports venues is not appropriate, imho. Too commercialized. Strikes me as marketing manipulation.

But, that's just me.

Ummm... All of those sports are very commercialized. The anthem is about the least commercial aspect of the entire experience.
    I'd still like to know where is the anthem allowed?

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

But, that's just me.

It took me a sec, but I think I’m understanding what you’re saying. And, although I like the anthem at sporting events, part of me agrees with what you’re saying also. It’s made the national anthem seem almost like a tongue and cheek thing that nobody honors anymore. It’s just kinda going thru the motions before a game if you will. I’m not sure how to word it, but it causes it to lose its nostalgia... again not the right wording but hopefully that’s close enough to make the point I was trying to make.

The reason I like it at sporting events is because people otherwise wouldn’t know the first part of the anthem otherwise, let alone be able to recite it word for word. I guess it’s almost a double edged sword in a way.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    There are people in the US that would live their entire lives without hearing the National Anthem if it were not played at sporting events.
    I think what he was saying is it’s so overdone that people don’t even think about the impact of its meaning anymore. Not putting words in his mouth, but if that’s what he’s saying I completely agree with that aspect of it. People don’t even realize what the national anthem is anymore, they just think it’s a song before the announcement “play ball”

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I think what he was saying is it’s so overdone that people don’t even think about the impact of its meaning anymore. Not putting words in his mouth, but if that’s what he’s saying I completely agree with that aspect of it. People don’t even realize what the national anthem is anymore, they just think it’s a song before the announcement “play ball”

That is the same people that would never hear it otherwise.

At hockey games they honor some military personnel on the ice just before and while they play it so it is more difficult to miss the meaning.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

This is puzzling to me. I don't understand this line of thinking, but I'll try to.

So I understand the following line of moral thinking of many here. It's dishonorable to give the same honor to Floyd as we would give to a fallen soldier because Floyd's life did not live up to the same level of honor as a soldier who sacrificed his life in battle. Everyone pretty much universally understands that his death was unjust. But there was no sense of personal sacrifice in his death. He didn't put himself in harms way intentionally to serve a cause greater than themselves. To put it in terms of cold facts, he was killed unjustly while (presumably) committing a crime. So that does not rise to the level of veneration that a fallen soldier should have.

So that's the one point of view. But you're sort of making a moral equivalence between that and playing the national anthem for sporting events, something that you seem to feel is a dishonorable act, or at least "undignified". So it seems you're making a complaint about consistency. If we shouldn't give Floyd's family the Flag, then let's be consistent and give the national anthem the same sense of honor.

What I don't understand is the link between the two. I don't really see it as undignified to have a custom of playing the national anthem at sporting events. I suspect that others feel the same way. It seems "American". Patriotic. Even though there's a sort of pretense about it. Maybe that's the undignified part that I'm not seeing.

But forget about the moral implications of honor and patriotism for a minute. Should Floyd be venerated because he's the victim of an unjust death? It's like they're rewarding him posthumously for some sort of martyrdom. I don't really see him as a martyr. He's just a guy who was trying to do his thing, got caught by police and they killed him unjustly. I just don't think what those police officers did is offset by venerating Floyd. Lots of people die unjustly. Do we or should we venerate them all? Or is it selective?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    For theater.

Eh, I don't know if I'd go as far as saying it's spitting on our most sacred traditions. But also, I would not consider the honorable ceremony as theater either. It's important to many people who served. They want to honor fallen soldiers' sacrifice. It's something I don't fully understand myself not being in the military. But I understand enough to know it's more than theater to many of them.

ETA: I think I may have misunderstood the object of "theater". I thought you were saying the tradition for fallen soldiers was theater, but you may have meant that Pelosi's act was theater, which it most certainly was.

Last edited:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Eh, I don't know if I'd go as far as saying it's spitting on our most sacred traditions. But also, I would not consider the honorable ceremony as theater either. It's important to many people who served. They want to honor fallen soldiers' sacrifice. It's something I don't fully understand myself not being in the military. But I understand enough to know it's more than theater to many of them.

Nah. The theater part is piglosi pandering to black voters with her disgusting sacrilege.

In no way is it theater to present the family of a fallen veteran the burial flag.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Uniquenateo
    Top Bottom