• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    My stepfather was clearing property and smacked into this guy. Ive spent a some time getting stuff cleared out from around it . Next I will make a "sled" and transport it another 300yds to where I can hopefully get it out.

From the old history of spencer, IN there have been a railroad town, a mill, a medicinal spring and an old storefront in the area. I really don't think its a millstone, at least it doesn't look like any I have seen.

Its just a rough estimate of ~150lbs. The "teeth" are very even and are longer on the top edge than on the bottom. There are spaced holes that are approx 6" deep around the edge. the center hole goes about 1/3 of the way through. the back side is raised about 1/4-1/2" under the teeth in a circle. It appears to be made of limestone (but I am not a geologist).

I have tried to figure this one out and just keep searching and search to no avail. So I throw it up for INGO's help. Thank you in advance.

fn4dg7.jpg

x5cml3.jpg

2dhei50.jpg

2f0g0ow.jpg

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    I don't disagree that it probably came from a mill. It just seems when I research it. The gears are made from metal and older ones were made from wood. Can't seem to locate a single one on the internet that is stone like this one. Who knows maybe it was made for this mill and no others.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It looks more like a sprocket than a gear. The teeth are peaked and the ramps are rounded like a sprocket. A gear is cut to get maximum contact in the teeth.
    That is a sprocket of some sort.

Bandsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Pike County
    I've never seen a stone gear in old mills, but that sure looks like what it is. I wouldn't think a stone to stone set of gears would last long. Perhaps the gear this one meshed with was made of wood?

The square hole in the center not going all the way through makes me think it is a mill stone (the stone that grinds the grain), but what would be the purpose of the teeth?

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Send pics to the office at Spring Mill park. SOMEBODY there will know the expert to show them to. By all means save it, It is probably of historical significance. It sure as heck is SOMETHING that a lot of labor was put into long enough ago that stone was a viable option. Is there a stream or waterway nearby that could have powered something like that? or perhaps a quarry where it was cut?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I've never seen a stone gear in old mills, but that sure looks like what it is. I wouldn't think a stone to stone set of gears would last long. Perhaps the gear this one meshed with was made of wood?

The square hole in the center not going all the way through makes me think it is a mill stone (the stone that grinds the grain), but what would be the purpose of the teeth?

Are the teeth there to guide the ground meal out into a catch basin of some sort?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011

The stone could rotate in a bedstone with a depression cut into it where the "gear" fits. The corn falls into the "teeth" and is guided around and under the millstone where it is crushed. Then it falls out of a hole in the bottom of the bedstone.

The way it COULD be used as a millstone is obvious to me, I just have never saw one exactly like it. Grinding teeth of a millstone are usually very fine striations on the edge and face of the stone. These huge teeth seem to me to be prone to fracturing.

I have saw "cage cogs" made of wood that this stone would easily mesh with, but to waste power turning that huge mass only to transfer or change direction seems counter-productive to me.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    It looks like a millstone, but I've never seen one with scalloped edges. That's a kicker. I don't think it's part of a column, but it could be. The scallops are too extreme for a column.

Top Bottom