Not open for further replies.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I'm sorry but, REALLY?

It seems that the mod team and Fenway are bending over backwards for this forum and it's members.

People posted in here with their concerns and they were addressed. Now people are questioning how / when they are addressed.

There are seriously a couple pages over a profanity filter!!!!!

It's this simple. TYPE THE WORD. You won't have a problem. DON'T SWEAR. You won't have a problem.

What is so complicated about this!?!?!?!?!?!?!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Honestly I think the need to don a thicker skin is present as soon as you open any web browser. As this is a forum with a fairly well conceived notion of privacy a lot of people may tend to post something they wouldn't stand by if you called them on it in a more public manner. As such is the nature of the beast you will then have people posting whatever they want without much recourse because they believe they are free of inhibitions. This can only be controlled so well and it is ultimately up to the people posting to have a bit of common sense and respect when posting. Those that tend to push the limits will get noticed pretty quickly but some that only do it occasionally will take a little longer to show their true character. Either way this is an internet forum and the concerns I have listed above will always be the nature of the beast, and most people will judge you by the worst company you keep. So to simply answer your question yes I do believe a thicker skin may be called for.

You may well be right. It might just be that I don't have the stomach for it.:dunno:
    I guess I must have gotten spoiled a few years back when the forums I visited were the ones that the gent below describes.

I find more confrontational, personally insulting threads on INGO than the other 2 shooter's forums I visit.......combined. One of those has somewhere around 10 times as many members as does INGO so it's not just a matter of numbers. In the other, smaller than INGO forum, the owners (2) are the only mods and I can only recall seeing them exercise their authority probably less than 5 times in the 7 years I've been going there. Typically, when a guy steps out of line, he's just gone. A couple have tried to return under other names but they never last long. I don't know how many moderators there are or who they are on the larger one. I've never seen them have to step in.

It's my opinion that the INGO mods do a pretty good job, all things considered. There are clearly a number of posters who thrive on agitation and confrontation and I admit I've played their game from time to time. Hard as I try, sometimes I just gotta' respond to some of the garbage I see. That's my problem and I'm working on fixing it.

My suggestion is that INGO would be a much nicer place if the mods/ owner/whoever just banned the constant offenders. Alternatively, take a look at the sections where the heat is always on and get rid of them. Let the pulpit-seekers start their own forum.

The aspect that seems to be missing on INGO is a clear understanding that none of us but the owner has a RIGHT to be here.

Sorry. My "short note" outgrew the title!

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    The original reason the filter was instituted was because a number of members were complaining that their kids were reading over their shoulder and they were tired of having to explain about the curse words their kids were seeing, and Fenway was trying very hard to make INGO family-friendly. The filter isn't intended to protect adults from the intent of the verbiage. So, now we have a filter and people are doing their darnedest to circumvent it by any means possible.

yep, because an adult can get over themselves and ignore it. kids will pick it up and use it. Although, I dont shelter my kid because I dont want her going into the world as an outcast. I was asked to remove a recent signature of mine (no problem, it was done politely), but if I would have posted the picture in the "funny pic thread" no one would have mentioned it, except to rep me. sometimes your damned if you do and damned if you dont.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    You may well be right. It might just be that I don't have the stomach for it.:dunno:

I am not saying I like it, nor am I approving of it but it is the direction a lot of people have taken now a days. I for one try to make sure that I do not post anything that I wouldn't say in person. I try not to edit posts even for spelling errors because I do not want there to be a chance that someone could accuse me of some foul thing or another because I edited my true feelings out of a post. Now to the other side of that some people just need to grow up and realize that to quote the Gunny "we aren't in nambi pambi land." The world is hard fast and tough and doesn't care, and a lot of people carry that same attitude if not worse. I am sure as the growing pains subside most of the weeds will die down and some semblance of respect will return with those that see it through.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

There are seriously a couple pages over a profanity filter!!!!!

It's this simple. TYPE THE WORD. You won't have a problem. DON'T SWEAR. You won't have a problem.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anTTTpKVme0&feature=related"]YouTube - The fly that wants to leave but cant figure it out[/ame]

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I don't want a rassafrackinfraction, but I've always admired Yosemite Sam. :)

I think that if we do have an exception, it should be named in his honor. :rockwoot:

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Hey, we have to keep this site going so that I can get my site supporter's money's worth for a year of use. Just joking. When I am told that my year is up, I will gladly send the site another year's worth of dues. I see some friction from time to time, but when you are as big as this site is, that is inevitable. I have not seen it get nasty, however. Maybe the mods are doing a great job or maybe the quality of the people on this site is at the level where it will not get out of hand. We are all gun owners and most likely have similar opinions and values which probably lean very hard towards being conservatives or libertarians. Maybe there could be some kind of appeals process if there is not already one in place. Maybe the site supporters could have a vote where a super-majority is required to make any changes. I just enjoy this site over any others that I have seen and would not be happy to see it go down the tube. Just my two cents.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Maybe it's just me, but I've noticed the tone of the board has changed for the better lately.

Que made it really simple. Type the word out completely. Let the language filter do it's job. You want Yosemite Sam? You could always spell tarnation out.

EDIT. Tarnation isn't in the language filter! :rockwoot:

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Maybe it's just me, but I've noticed the tone of the board has changed for the better lately.

Que made it really simple. Type the word out completely. Let the language filter do it's job. You want Yosemite Sam? You could always spell tarnation out.

EDIT. Tarnation isn't in the language filter! :rockwoot:

I'd rep you right now but I'm out for the time being.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I am an individual who doesn't use profanity and I'm probably from a different generation than a great deal of members here. So, I have to look up most of the acronyms that are being used on here (e.g., POS). The way that text-talk is being used by kids everyday, I would hate to learn that &^$$**! actually means something. So, if standard dictionary english cannot be used and an expletive is necessary (for whatever reason), just use it and let the filter do its work.

I don't use much profanity myself, I just checked my last 3 mo. of posts and the worst I found was once instance each of damn and pissed. No filtered words and no creative spelling. When I used the gibberish of symbols, it's usually in the 2nd amendment politics section over a particularly vile piece of proposed legislation or politician. And I use it in a :xmad::soapbox: manner because I think it conveys my meaning better than a string of asterisks. It is not to get around the filter.

Oh is the soapbox smiley going to go away now? :stickpoke::popcorn:
    That is a joke and only a joke.
    It seems that the mod team and Fenway are bending over backwards for this forum and it's members.

People posted in here with their concerns and they were addressed. Now people are questioning how / when they are addressed.

I agree that the mods and Fenway are bending over backwards, and I thank them and you. My first post in this thread was just asking for clarification. I received it, no problem as I stated in my next post.

That cartoon was my post, not Andre46996's... and no, I'm certainly not asking for an "exception to the rule". (Just to be clear)

And just to be clear I was not and am not asking for an exception, just asking a question. I have no problem with the answer, nor would I have had one if it had been a different one.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    So I got an infraction for typing out a swear word with special characters.
    Thought it was the right thing to do according to the rules.
    The infraction got me interetsed in this thread.
    Now I see I'm a interweb INGO cursing noob. I will agree "It's not that hard", but if you are operating under interpretation of what "G-rated" means some things are going slip. Some folks on the receiving end of infractions might get their feathers ruffled.

What do these infractions do? I'm guessing if I don't excercise much asshattery (was that legal?) they mean nothing.

All the best mods. I don't envy your position. I see a level headed or lack of reaction when the line walkers are out in force. I hope it continues instead of both sides digging in their heels and making the place unwelcoming.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom