• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steeltoe546

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Castleton
    Former Kroger manager here. In the Central division, which covers Indiana, the only LP's who may work armed are those who are also LEO's. And if you see the Securitas guards, they're only for show. The other LP's you should never see or notice as they're plain clothes. The ones in Bloomington I worked with were the best though. They loved to catch shoplifters and fake ID's, and felt like they hadn't done their job if they didn't catch anyone on their shift.

What store number do you work at? i deliver your perishables.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    No security guards @ the Kroger I went to today, unless the 20-something young lady setting out potted plants is their guard. Guess I will continue to carry my 1911 compact as precaution.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Most of you guys seem to be misunderstanding the purpose of security personnel. Regardless of armed/unarmed or uniformed/plain-clothed, they are not "enforcement officers". Their purpose in a loss prevention roll (which is their roll in Kroger stores), is to detect areas of loss and document them through reports and video surveillance. You don't see them, because they work behind the scenes and don't interact with the public. In some rougher areas, uniformed security serve as a visual deterrent in addition to assisting in a loss prevention roll. (though if someone is slouched back and texting as described above, they clearly aren't doing their job).

ALL Kroger stores (and most other stores for that matter) have some form of security, whether it be in-house LP, contracted LP, or uniformed guards. The policies of the contractor and the location of the store will dictate whether the guards are armed or not, but regardless, they are never armed to protect YOU. They are armed to protect themselves.

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    When in worked in retail, I worked at Meijer in carmel stocking night shift.

The loss prevention team there was a joke. They were a limited staff that would cover a different store in the area each night. So it was a hit or miss if they were there. And honestly, I'd say the stockers did the most loss prevention.

I stocked toys as well as other departments. My biggest prevention was a group of teens/ early 20s. They attempted to steal over a thousand dollars in pokemon, yugio, magic, baseball, etc cards. I was suspicious of them, and watching closely, I took a quit break, and when i came back they were gone with the shelves completely empty. So me and my manager blocked the door up front just as they were leaving and told them they get to walk away or get handcuffed and taken away

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    When in worked in retail, I worked at Meijer in carmel stocking night shift.

The loss prevention team there was a joke. They were a limited staff that would cover a different store in the area each night. So it was a hit or miss if they were there. And honestly, I'd say the stockers did the most loss prevention.

I stocked toys as well as other departments. My biggest prevention was a group of teens/ early 20s. They attempted to steal over a thousand dollars in pokemon, yugio, magic, baseball, etc cards. I was suspicious of them, and watching closely, I took a quit break, and when i came back they were gone with the shelves completely empty. So me and my manager blocked the door up front just as they were leaving and told them they get to walk away or get handcuffed and taken away

If you broke visual contact with them at any time (i.e. "took a quick break"), your actions were in direct violation of Meijer policy and you AND the Lines Leader, SD, or SDIC (whichever the case may be) could have been terminated on the spot regardless of the outcome of the guest contact.

Which store was this?

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    The Kroger in Elkhart on Johnson Street has an off duty LEO for security. They have a lot of thefts for alcohol mostly but other items as well. It isn't the best part of town so if I'm headed in there I am packing some heat like always.

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    If you broke visual contact with them at any time (i.e. "took a quick break"), your actions were in direct violation of Meijer policy and you AND the Lines Leader, SD, or SDIC (whichever the case may be) could have been terminated on the spot regardless of the outcome of the guest contact.

Which store was this?

breaking visual contact with a potential customer? I was busy stocking, and they were just acting funny. I did not actually see them pocket anything, upon my return was when I realized they had stolen something. It was in carmel, and it was years ago. And i had called my gm tl about them and he said they are fine and just go to break. It was satisfying rubbing his nose in it after the fact.

While i worked there, my tl was telling me about how dayshift had been stocking electronics (and left a skid unattended), and a lady loaded up a cart with tvs and blue ray players (which should have been in the blue room) and walked right out and no one stopped her.

Clearly loss prevention wasnt a priority. Nor respect for the employees, so I'm glad to say I left when I got the chance

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Most of you guys seem to be misunderstanding the purpose of security personnel. Regardless of armed/unarmed or uniformed/plain-clothed, they are not "enforcement officers". Their purpose in a loss prevention roll (which is their roll in Kroger stores), is to detect areas of loss and document them through reports and video surveillance. You don't see them, because they work behind the scenes and don't interact with the public. In some rougher areas, uniformed security serve as a visual deterrent in addition to assisting in a loss prevention roll. (though if someone is slouched back and texting as described above, they clearly aren't doing their job).

ALL Kroger stores (and most other stores for that matter) have some form of security, whether it be in-house LP, contracted LP, or uniformed guards. The policies of the contractor and the location of the store will dictate whether the guards are armed or not, but regardless, they are never armed to protect YOU. They are armed to protect themselves.

What about those security personnel who have been through special deputy training?

Top Bottom