• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruger-9mm

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2014
    Out and about
    Former Kroger manager here. In the Central division, which covers Indiana, the only LP's who may work armed are those who are also LEO's. And if you see the Securitas guards, they're only for show. The other LP's you should never see or notice as they're plain clothes. The ones in Bloomington I worked with were the best though. They loved to catch shoplifters and fake ID's, and felt like they hadn't done their job if they didn't catch anyone on their shift.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Is there a cost savings between armed and unarmed security staff? My cynical guess is this is only a cost savings measure.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Kroger loss prevention tried to accuse me of smuggling a salami out of the store.
    Boy, were they embarrassed.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Cocktails-Litl-Wieners.jpg

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    I've never seen an armed guard at any Kroger I've been to.

From the story it sounds like the company they use for security is disarming the guards, not Kroger itself. They could decide to switch security providers

Although IIRC, Kroger fired a manager at an Indy location for fatally shooting a robber in the act of holding up the store a few years ago. They hung him out to dry despite the fact that he potentially saved the lives of several employees who had been corralled into a back office.

One of those employees decided to sue for emotional distress and Kroger dropped the manager like a hot potato.

*Edit - Manager resigned, he wasn't fired. See more info in my post below.

Until you come to this line in the story:
    The letter adds that the company views the decision as "very disheartening."

And I'll bet that a lot of shoppers in the areas where Kroger used armed security will no longer shop in those stores Like this guy:
    Shopper Dennis Jacocks said he is going to find a safer part of town in which to shop. He said even though Kroger's guards won't have guns, "you can believe that the criminals got guns."

And really, what is the point of hiring security and then disarming them, since they can no longer provide the named service for which were contracted? Seems rather oxymoronic. Or moronic.
    "effective March 29, its guards will be 'completely unarmed – no weapons, no handcuffs, no chemical repellant, no baton, etc.'"

And I think that if I were one of the affected guards I would refuse to work the Kroger detail if I had no means of defense. I am for security and can't even defend myself let alone a patron? No point in the exercise whatsoever. LATERS! If I ran the security company I would be tempted to end the contract. What's the point?

Top Bottom