• ...and so much more!
  • M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I guess someone has to say it................suppressors

With that being said....I like plain Jane ear plugs. The rubber ones with a string connecting them don't work bad either

I have a set that were molded to my ears that work great, but the string can rub and create a vibration noise which is odd sounding. That being said I need to look for those things

numbaonecoltsfan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2015
    Mooresville
    I use regular old foam disposable ear plugs that bring home from work. Higher Noise Reduction Rating than any muff on the market and way more comfortable. Plus you dont have to worry about glasses interfering with the seal which makes the already less effective muffs even less useful.
    The video provided above is great. They make us watch something similar every year when they test our hearing.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    To me the yellow foam plugs are more comfortable than anything. I like the ones without the string too. When they are comfortable, and easy to use, I'm more likely to use them. Personally I use them for shooting, lawn mowing, chain saw work, even leaf blower work. It's just become as natural as gloves, or eye protection.

Remember, hearing loss is an accumulative thing. You tend to lose it in tiny little bits over time and gunfire isn't the only noise that can be harmful.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I guess someone has to say it................suppressors

With that being said....I like plain Jane ear plugs. The rubber ones with a string connecting them don't work bad either

I have a set that were molded to my ears that work great, but the string can rub and create a vibration noise which is odd sounding. That being said I need to look for those things
    You kept me from saying it. Suppressors for the win! :cool:

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    I wish we had ear protection when I started on my school rifle team 70 years ago and a few years later when I was undergoing weapons training in the Air Force. Maybe then I would still be able to hear reasonably well and I wouldn't hear "The TV is too loud". Don't try to save a buck. Hearing aids are extremely expensive and don't last forever. Buy the best ear protectors you can find. They will probably be uncomfortable with extended use in hot weather are way better than impaired hearing. Of course, if he listens to a lot of rock and roll at warp 9, then ignore this post.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    p_084000227_1.jpg

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I get free foam ear plugs. I wear them all day at work anyways.

Reasons why I choose plugs over muffs
    -Muffs will NEVER seal the ear canal like a plug can thus giving better hearing protection. I don't care what you say. Hair and glasses are the weak points of muffs. Plugs have no weak seal points
    -plugs are low profile and they do not impede my rifle shooting and any other position requiring tight quarters
    -Plugs will never catch on anything and come off. I can roll down a hill with plugs in and still be good. Good luck having muffs stay on.
    -I don't like my ears sweating so much in the heat and it gets really hot and sweaty and uncomfortable in the super humid Evansville area.
    -I can have 100 pairs of plugs in my bag in the same space as one pair of muffs. Thus giving me more options to equipt family and friends that come along. I dont have to bring 10 muffs and figure out where the hell I am going to put them.

Winter is a different game as there is no heat but I still choose plugs for the better protection. I just wear a sock hat to keep my head warm.
    -

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My son has been going out back with me to our range a lot more often. Usually he uses the earmuff style that covers your ears completely. Problem is its been really hot here even in the evening, which makes it kind of uncomfortable to use the over the ear hearing protection. Can someone suggest a good alternative?

Thanks

I wear the ones used by Hickok45. They're light and don't get in the way like the bigger ones. I got the refills from eBay. I like these better than foam and they block out the noise very well.

[video=youtube;PRRreDkW0nc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRRreDkW0nc[/video]

[video=youtube;dGYf9AZlSyU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGYf9AZlSyU[/video]

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Another vote for the least expensive thing SureFire has ever sold, Earpro EP series protectors! I use the 5's or the 7's they work well even with AR or AK SBR's.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    Foam earplugs do not work loose if inserted properly (see post #12).

Correct. Seems like the majority of the population don't know how to properly insert a foam plug. Also one must find the correct size foam plug for all day comfort and protection. THERE IS NO ONE SIZE FITS ALL.

There should be very little ear plug left sticking out from the ear when a properly sized and properly inserted ear plug is used.

Top Bottom