• ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Too overloaded with Gaia-esque wisdom, trees of life, living in harmony with nature. Just like watching some left-wing paen to the noble Indians that fought to keep America safe for nature.

A pretty movie though.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Don't, for the love of God, don't. The only way anyone could ever like a Starship Trooper movie is if they've never read Heinlein. Sorry, I know this sounds rude, TF, but Heinlein isn't even noticeable in the movie and I don't mean that in a snobbish intellectual sense.

I wouldn't have know who wrote it if you put a gun to my head and gave me a hint! Lol.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Too overloaded with Gaia-esque wisdom, trees of life, living in harmony with nature. Just like watching some left-wing paen to the noble Indians that fought to keep America safe for nature.

A pretty movie though.

Pretty much Dances with Wolves on another planet. I will agree with you on the beauty part: Visually a stunning movie and should be treated as such. I think sometimes the art of a film is ignored for solely plot reasons or a movie is judged only on fact of it's plot.

I will second two movies, one you mentioned and one BillD mentioned: Gattaca and Solaris. Combine those with Sunshine and you have a triumvirate of depression that is guarenteed to give you Borderline Personality Disorder overnight. :D I wept, HARD, at the end of Solaris. It was an amazing sci-fi film.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

A pretty movie though.

Agreed. Visually stunning, if you can stomach the message..

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I don't think the message in avatar was such a bad one. Environmental stewardship can be a good thing if done right. The problem is when you get the government involved they screw everything up. To me the plot was not just about tree hugging but also about achieving your potential selflessness and doing great things. Also was a good demonstration of what bad things happen when cultures clash. Kind of like when Europeans discovered the America's; there was a lot of bloodshed. Perspective is everything.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Pretty much Dances with Wolves on another planet. I will agree with you on the beauty part: Visually a stunning movie and should be treated as such. I think sometimes the art of a film is ignored for solely plot reasons or a movie is judged only on fact of it's plot.

I will second two movies, one you mentioned and one BillD mentioned: Gattaca and Solaris. Combine those with Sunshine and you have a triumvirate of depression that is guarenteed to give you Borderline Personality Disorder overnight. :D I wept, HARD, at the end of Solaris. It was an amazing sci-fi film.

Finally someone mentions my personal "worst movie to win awards"
    Dances with Wolves is truly horrible, 3 hours of my life I will never get back.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    Wow. Starship Troopers was an amazing book. Deep and profound. Not at all just cartoonish bug killing like the movie.

I'll send the copy Weakerbrother sent me to anyone who'd like to check it out. I'll be reading more from the author in the future. I'm not sure I ever enjoyed a fiction book as much as this one.

PM me if you're interested.

Myles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Too many that I enjoy to mention - Alien, Independence Day, Battle Los Angeles.

Plenty of bad ones too - Appolo 18, Star Trek movies, most sequels

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Best: no one mentioned the remake of 'War of the Worlds.'
    Tim Robbins and Dakota Fanning were fantastic. Tom Cruise as well.
    Blade Runner-(texture, atmosphere)
    The Matrix (nature of reality)
    Alien (tapeworm wants out, infestation, molecular acid, mother-in-law)
    Forbidden Planet (monsters from the id )scared the crap out of me as a kid.
    So did the original 'The Thing' (The Vegans revenge)

'Avatar' and 'Dances with Wolves' are a version of the Heroes journey retold over and over.

First Sci fi I ever saw was 'Rocketship XM' a journey to the moon and almost back with LLoyd Bridges and moon monsters who were basically women with whites for eyeballs and would throw rocks from cliffs.

Last edited:

Myles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Best: no one mentioned the remake of 'War of the Worlds.'
    Tim Robbins and Dakota Fanning were fantastic. Tom Cruise as well.
    Blade Runner-(texture, atmosphere)
    The Matrix (nature of reality)
    Forbidden Planet (monsters from the id )scared the crap out of me as a kid.
    So did the original 'The Thing' (The Vegans revenge)

'Avatar' and 'Dances with Wolves' are a version of the Heroes journey retold over and over.

First Sci fi I ever saw was 'Rocketship XM' a journey to the moon and almost back with LLoyd Bridges and moon monsters who were basically women with whites for eyeballs and would throw rocks from cliffs.

I didn't think it was that good.

Top Bottom