• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm an outsider here who has completed 1.5 Appleseed Events, but I am going to offer a bit of unsolicited advice.

Appleseed has the right and should establish whatever policies it sees fit for carrying sidearms during their events. However, I think that people who represent Appleseed or speak on their behalf should (and this is my opinion) simply state the policy and leave it at that. Trying to justify it is not going to help your position, and in some cases will make it worse. I suggest sticking to "this is our policy" do not try to convince the questioners why it's good or valid or acceptable.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I agree with rhino.

Personally, I also don't like the policy. We teach that a holstered sidearm is safe, so it should be fine on the line in a holster. However, I sucked it up for my Appleseed, and now I would recommend to others to do likewise because the Seed is worth it, though I still don't like the policy and think it is only at best half reasonable.

Appleseed instructors should stick with, "it is our policy." And I'll stick with, "suck it up and deal with it, but go nevertheless."

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    More times than not, one of the guys running the seed would be happy to provide you a rifle or If you can find a thread on INGO dedicated to that event, I'd be shocked if another member wouldn't offer to bring an addition .22lr rifle for you to use.

I personally would be happy to bring one for you if you sign up to an event I'm going to.

If the Shoot Boss or instructors know in advance loaners can be available. I have 6 10/22s available to loan. At some events .22 ammo is available at a reimbursement cost. I haven't done the math but I use the cost averaging method for reimbursement. Slings are usually available for people to borrow or purchase.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    To me it's ok not being able to carry my pistol. I'll have my rifle most of the time and many others will as well. What's to be scared of?

JayBone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    Lake County
    After attending a few NWI Ingo meet & shoots over the last several months, My wife, Son (9) & myself have decided to attend our first appleseed. We will be joining the Lake Village gathering in September. Whats not to like? We love history & shooting. Count us in. My wife and Son just started going to the range this summer and are looking for more. Count me in!

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    I just have to say...

I don't know what an Appleseed *is*. I keep seeing references to them as events, but beyond that... I know diddly.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I just have to say...

I don't know what an Appleseed *is*. I keep seeing references to them as events, but beyond that... I know diddly.

Two day events that combine classic rifle marksmanship skills with narrative US history focusing on April 19, 1775.

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    Oh, SWEET. Just the sort of thing I want to get involved with (and losing even more of my free <hah> time!).

Man, I love this place. :)

Thanks!

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    As to the original question posed for those who have never attended an Appleseed.....WHY NOT?

Don't have enough 22lr ammo? I guarantee you an instructor or fellow INGOer would sell you some at cost.

No gun? Just post up in the Appleseed sub forum and someone will loan you one.
    Appleseed

not sure what to expect? Spend a few minutes reading an after action report here.
    Indiana After Action Reports. Appleseeds past...

Or maybe you just have no interest in learning how to become more proficient with your rifle....:p

There are still lots of events to sign up for this Fall, including one this weekend just north of Noblesville in Atlanta, IN
    Appleseed Schedule

So why aren't more INGOers signing up?

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    As to the original question posed for those who have never attended an Appleseed.....WHY NOT?

Don't have enough 22lr ammo? I guarantee you an instructor or fellow INGOer would sell you some at cost.

No gun? Just post up in the Appleseed sub forum and someone will loan you one.
    Appleseed

not sure what to expect? Spend a few minutes reading an after action report here.
    Indiana After Action Reports. Appleseeds past...

Or maybe you just have no interest in learning how to become more proficient with your rifle....:p

There are still lots of events to sign up for this Fall, including one this weekend just north of Noblesville in Atlanta, IN
    Appleseed Schedule

So why aren't more INGOers signing up?

Sounds fantastic!! As soon as I can fit one of the dates into my crazy schedule I am there for sure. Appleseed is such a great program!

BulletSponge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Indy.
    I thought it was just for kids and apartment dwellers. I have a range at my home and driving so I could go shooting with a bunch of kids for two days was well, stupid.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I thought it was just for kids and apartment dwellers. I have a range at my home and driving so I could go shooting with a bunch of kids for two days was well, stupid.

If you consider spending time shooting with good people, learning to shoot better, and celebrating our American heritage while learning more about our founding fathers than what is taught in school to be stupid... then your assumptions about Appleseed would be correct.

Top Bottom