• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    This is great thread. I've been wondering a lot about 'Seed, but hadn't done a lot of research. I think I might float the idea pass the Mrs. and make a fun weekend! Thanks OP!

Hawkeye602

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Indy
    History of our country and shooting guns safely... Oh and it is a great place to take my 11 and 18 yr old sons, is there a down side to be debating :-)

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Are sidearms not allowed? I've never heard of not allowing someone to carry at a shooting function.

Correct: they will not allow you to wear a sidearm during the event.

They don't let you wear a "carry piece" during professional shooting matches, either; even when I was working the event, not participating, my sidearm had to be unloaded with the slide locked to the rear in my holster for the duration.

ETA - and BOY did I get "corrected" when my slide slammed forward, still in the holster, during a cold range and I reached to re-lock the slide back. "GET YOUR HAND OFF THAT WEAPON!" :eek: <-- what I looked like

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    . Also, I don't currently own a long gun.

Step 1: Find an Appleseed near you....
    Step 2: Contact one of the Appleseed guys here... Techres, ATM etc...
    Step 3: Find out who is going to be the Shoot Boss and try to get some contact info (email or INGO name)
    Step 4: Tell them you are interested in trying Appleseed, but don't have a rifle
    Step 5: More than likely.... Enjoy your Appleseed :D

More times than not, one of the guys running the seed would be happy to provide you a rifle or If you can find a thread on INGO dedicated to that event, I'd be shocked if another member wouldn't offer to bring an addition .22lr rifle for you to use.

I personally would be happy to bring one for you if you sign up to an event I'm going to.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Your going to fire very close to 500 rds in a weekend. You can probably buy a 22 for the ammo savings over using a 17

That's sound advise! Not trying to be a jerk, but every guy who's interested in guns should have a 22lr rifle. Go find the dirt cheapest 22lr you can off the used shelf and for another $25 you'd have a box of 550 rounds.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    That's sound advise! Not trying to be a jerk, but every guy who's interested in guns should have a 22lr rifle. Go find the dirt cheapest 22lr you can off the used shelf and for another $25 you'd have a box of 550 rounds.

Well... sure but it's got to run. I thought my 15 year old 10/22 would get the job done but @ my 1st 'seed it started to show it's age and was failing to extract pretty regularly on the day 2 AQT. I had never had trouble with it before. A replaement VQ extractor fixed the issue and it ran perfect at a later 'seed.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well... sure but it's got to run. I thought my 15 year old 10/22 would get the job done but @ my 1st 'seed it started to show it's age and was failing to extract pretty regularly on the day 2 AQT. I had never had trouble with it before. A replaement VQ extractor fixed the issue and it ran perfect at a later 'seed.

I'm sorry to hear that your gun acted up, but I had the exact same problem with my 10-22 and I did the exact same thing to fix mine. It blows my mind how so many people talk about a 10-22 as a holy grail of 22lr's when so many of the factory parts end up being replaced by VQ parts at some point. Ever since I put the $10 VQ extractor in my rifle I haven't had any problems with mine. I keep spare VQ extractors just because it was such a cheap replacement.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    YHJ has a bone stock 10-22 that I kid you not was found rusted behind the door of an abandoned mining shack in New Mexico that has flawlessly run somewhere in the neighborhood of 50k rounds. Its .22. Dont overthink it. If you bring 54r you will be just fine.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Everbody thinks .30 cal is the fun and manly way to go. The problem pops up when you are 120 rounds into saturday and you have never shot that volume slung up before and your shoulder is jelly.

It takes stamina to get deep into a level of focus like that just with .22. Doing it with .30 cal can be torturous. Rock a .22. Save the big stuff for your second Seed.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Everbody thinks .30 cal is the fun and manly way to go. The problem pops up when you are 120 rounds into saturday and you have never shot that volume slung up before and your shoulder is jelly.

It takes stamina to get deep into a level of focus like that just with .22. Doing it with .30 cal can be torturous. Rock a .22. Save the big stuff for your second Seed.

This^

Just keeping my Savage MKII with the heavy Boyd's stock steady at the end of the day was getting difficult. I couldn't imagine doing trying in combination with pounding recoil.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county

thats what i thought would happen, ive went 200 rounds with the mosin before, and i have to admit it was painful by 150, so the 22 will be going.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I don't go anywhere I can't carry my Glock lol

Think about where your holstered sidarm will be pointed when you are prone on the shooting line. Consider that there, more likely than not, be spectators and instructors behind you on the shooting line. With that think about he standard rules for safe gunhandling. That shoudl help you understand why sidearms are not allowed...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom