For all the apple computer lovers out there.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    I think it is rather interesting that every time a new version of the Iphone comes out someone accidentally loses it at a bar. Sounds like some stupid hype for them...

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    The update says that officers stayed outside while man volunarily let apple employees in to search home.

People should really start to learn their rights...

I don't really blame Apple...I don't like them, but I don't blame them if he let them in voluntarily. Maybe the officer presence made the scene more intimidating for him. Idk, but geez people, ask for the warrant !!!!

Drunken Yak inc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Osceola, IN
    Love Apple. After 13 Windows based laptops and 6 home built windows desktops (including my CAD workstation at my office) over the last 16 years, I am happily typing this from my first Apple computer, a 17" i7 Mac Book Pro that I bought 10 months ago. I used to have to format my computer every 6 months or so to maintain maximum speed on the windows machines. However, unlike windows, OSX doesn't get more bloated as time goes on, hence no reason to defrag on a regular basis. Not to mention no more blue screens of death, viruses and the default junk software that comes installed on store bought windows machines. And Apple doesn't cram the cheapest crap into their unit. everything is strictly monitored to work flawlessly with every other component. Also my MBP battery lasts 7-9 hours depending on use, while my 15" Sony Viao (1 1/2 years old) gets a max of 3 hours of run time.

I have yet to see any computer, cell phone or tablet that "Feels" more solid and well built then any of my Apple products, Nor have their been any that have been more reliable.

Most people that hate on Apple, do so because the can't afford an Apple, or just don't understand the level of detail Apple puts into their products to justify the cost over a windows machine. For instance, the shell of my laptop is milled from a single block of aluminum.

P.S. ironically enough, window 7 64 bit runs better on my mac then any of my other dedicated Windows laptops.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Love Apple. After 13 Windows based laptops and 6 home built windows desktops (including my CAD workstation at my office) over the last 16 years, I am happily typing this from my first Apple computer, a 17" i7 Mac Book Pro that I bought 10 months ago. I used to have to format my computer every 6 months or so to maintain maximum speed on the windows machines. However, unlike windows, OSX doesn't get more bloated as time goes on, hence no reason to defrag on a regular basis. Not to mention no more blue screens of death, viruses and the default junk software that comes installed on store bought windows machines. And Apple doesn't cram the cheapest crap into their unit. everything is strictly monitored to work flawlessly with every other component. Also my MBP battery lasts 7-9 hours depending on use, while my 15" Sony Viao (1 1/2 years old) gets a max of 3 hours of run time.

I have yet to see any computer, cell phone or tablet that "Feels" more solid and well built then any of my Apple products, Nor have their been any that have been more reliable.

Most people that hate on Apple, do so because the can't afford an Apple, or just don't understand the level of detail Apple puts into their products to justify the cost over a windows machine. For instance, the shell of my laptop is milled from a single block of aluminum.

P.S. ironically enough, window 7 64 bit runs better on my mac then any of my other dedicated Windows laptops.

Not sure if you've done side-by-side specs on the hardware but quite a few of the Hackintosh forums have. Many cheap desktops come with some of the exact same hardware as Macs. Computers that end up with tons of bloat-ware and crap that slows them down happens mostly because the user likes to randomly click on pretty ads or links that sound interesting. If you avoid screwing up your computer, they don't slow down a ton over time.

Many people hate on Apple because they understand the fact that you can get a better computer for a much better price. Only Apple product I own is my iPod Touch. Not a big fan of iTunes but I wanted it for a specific reason.

Drunken Yak inc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Osceola, IN
    Yes I've done comparisons, and I'm sorry but no you can't get a windows laptop that is just as good for a lot less. You can get one with similar specs, but the build quality is no were near it. Every single one of my windows laptops has broken, from a $600 HP to a $2,200 Sony Vaio (purchased in 2002). I've had brand new netbooks that crashed on a daily basis because hardware conflicts would cause windows to crash. There are windows based machines that not only have the same specs, there hardware is just as reliable, however they're not any cheaper and the materials used in the construction of the unit isn't quite as good. It should be noted that I don't use computers just for surfing the internet or playing games, the majority of my use is work, specifically SolidWorks 2011.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I don't really see anywhere that I said anything about a laptop with the same specs? About your windows machines crashing all the time, maybe one of us has been the lucky ones (I've rarely had a serious issue with a Dell that is probably 8-10 years old, or an HP that is 5-6 years old).

From looking at SolidWorks 2011, the needed specs don't really scream "NEEDS HIGH END" to me. Many cheaper laptops can be had that will easily run it. Sure, Apple does make a nice computer for those that need something that can handle programs that need more than a gaming computer...but most people only buy Apple because of the name and the fact that they look better than many cheaper machines. Most people will never "need" more than the run-of-the-mill computer and most have issues because they don't do proper maintenance or get click happy where they shouldn't. If you wanted, you could have found a solid laptop that was a Windows based machine that ran SolidWorks 2011 with no issue...but, you buy what you want with your money.

Laptops with similar specs that are cheaper...Samsung Series 7 (also has the aluminum body). Even though there will be a tiny bit more of a weight for them to hit the shelves (October 2nd).

MBP-15 2.2
    15-inch:
    2.2GHz quad-core
    Intel Core i7
    4GB 1333MHz
    750GB 5400-rpm1
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M
    with 1GB GDDR5
    Built-in battery (7 hours)
    5.5 lbs
    $2,199.00

Series 7 NP700Z5A-S01US
    Intel Core i7-2675QM (4/8, 2.2GHz, 6MB)
    15.6": 1600x900
    750GB 7200rpm + 8GB SSD
    8GB DDR3
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M
    Up to 9 hours
    5.05lb
    $1299

$2199
    $900 (or a lot less)

About netbooks...eh, I wouldn't buy one because I don't like them but there are some truly crap ones that will run OSX absolutely perfect (some well under $200).

Last edited:

Drunken Yak inc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Osceola, IN
    I apologize for not being clear, in my hast to fashion a response I misled you. I didn't buy the macbook pro to use for SolidWorks, I was referring to the broken windows laptops for extensive daily use for their reason for breaking. I bought the MBP for a home/secondary work computer.

As for SolidWorks specs, you don't need a monster to run it, however, I have part files that take 45 minutes to save on a non-dual core laptop. I have a Ford F-550 assembly from Ford that takes 20 minutes to open on my quad core i7 with 8 gigs of ram, and thats just the body work and axles, no interior, no motor and no extensive details. Also its preferable to have a video card that has dedicated hardware based OpenGL in order to run RealView graphics. I successfully run SolidWorks on my mac, but only do that when I have to give a presentation to a customer.

The samsung appears to be a good deal, my only five problems with it are:

1. It's ugly.
    2. It doesn't have a high definition screen. (1080)
    3. I don't believe it's keyboard lights up (I could be wrong about that)
    4. I question its reliability and frankly the only product Samsung makes that I would buy is their TV's... Their home theater receivers are junk in my opinion and their phones are unimaginative, not very well built copies of the iPhone. My best friend has gone through 2 of them in less then a year.
    5. It doesn't have Apple's magic touchpad or what ever they call it... It is utterly amazing to use, especially with all of the gestures in OSX Lion.

I have a $300 Netbook that runs OSX flawlessly, except there was no drivers for the wireless card, but other then that (well and the battery going dead after 6 months) I can't complain about it.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    I've had an Apple laptop for 11 years now. The 2004, 2008, 2009 ones are all running. The 2000 G3 is retired. Daughter has Leveno laptop for high school (mandatory) Been back twice for repair in 13 months. Slow as a boat anchor.

I used to be an evangelist for Apple. Now I simply don't care what YOU want to compute with. BUY ONCE /CRY ONCE. Works for me. (I just listen with a grin to the virus stories, or the tech support nightmares from far away lands)

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I've worked at Apple and they make the CIA look like rank amateurs with security and secrecy. We're a partner of theirs for consulting services for both edu and corporate sales. Working with them is a bit interesting at times.

I just wish I had bought stock in the last 80's when it was $11/share. I had the chance, but bought a nintendo and games instead.

btw, if anybody has an Apple question just PM me, I work on these things for a living.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I've worked at Apple and they make the CIA look like rank amateurs with security and secrecy. We're a partner of theirs for consulting services for both edu and corporate sales. Working with them is a bit interesting at times.

I just wish I had bought stock in the last 80's when it was $11/share. I had the chance, but bought a nintendo and games instead.

btw, if anybody has an Apple question just PM me, I work on these things for a living.
    ...and what a good living it must be!!! Plenty of job security there!

Seriously though, very generous of you.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    ...and what a good living it must be!!! Plenty of job security there!

Seriously though, very generous of you.

It's only job security if you can be nimble and keep up. They're really changing the market FAST. 2 years ago my job was servers and networks. Now it's mobility and whole-business solutions where they need iPads, iPhones, computers, and everything else they own to all sync together. We're implementing enterprise-class solutions for small businesses now and it's exciting.

I'm not much of a hardware guy anymore but I work with a great team and there are some hardware gurus in our office. If anybody asks me hardware questions I will probably have to forward them onto one of those techs.

Top Bottom