• Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    Sourdough Container

For the sourdough starter/culture, one can use any loosely covered non-porous non-metal container.
    Any glass or plastic container will work with lid loosely on (even ziplock baggies!). Make sure loosely covered--you don't want it exploding from the gasses produced with time!

Personally, what I use is a glazed ceramic container available from King Arthur Flour (got my sourdough start with it), it now sells for $29.95 complete, or for $4 less, just the crock/lid without their starter.
    Their website shares Sourdough Starter Tips, complete with multiple pictures.

indyac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Hancock County
    That calculator was good food for thought (no pun intended)

Does anyone have experience with storing powdered milk? The boxes I found had expiration dates that were only 3-4 months out.

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin

Does anyone have experience with storing powdered milk? The boxes I found had expiration dates that were only 3-4 months out.
    Powdered milk for long-term storage comes in #10 cans and "superpails".
    Many online suppliers of these, and if stored properly, will last you at least 10 years and many times more. We have personally bought both of these. Once you mix up the milk, let it "set" in the fridge for several hours for best flavor.

Sources online are abundant, but we have had excellent experience with:

Emergency Essentials - Be Prepared Emergency Preparedness Food Storage free shipping if you buy a monthly "group special", otherwise shipping is generally a flat $6.00

Nitro-Pak.com The World Leader in Innovative & Affordable Preparedness Gear

Of note, FORTIFIED dried milk is now available (used to be not fortified w/ vitamins).

Anecdote: My mother bought a #10 can of milk when I was an infant (1960's) for "just in case" . She gave it to me in 2000, doubting its quality (had it in her pantry for all those years & I never knew it!!!) We opened it to see, and there was no off odor, off taste, evidence of rancidity, discoloration, etc.
    It was perfectly good & we consumed it all over the next couple of weeks.

The expiration dates on the #10 cans are estimates, and they have to put something on the label. Don't throw anything away based on dates alone! Check them out first! Even if you could detect some deterioration, it is better than having none.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

Do what Pamcake suggested. Cardboard boxed powdered milk oxidizes very quickly. Even in plastic, the shelf life isn't greatly increased, you need the nitro packing or some other method to drive out the oxygen.

Top Bottom