• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • topash

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Anywhere
    Is it just me, or do you notice more torn, faded flags being flown now a days? Not just at residences, but also at businesses. Some I drive past daily drive me nuts, like one that is a full size flag tied around the middle of a mail box post. Some others look like their owners are in a "my flag is older than your flag" contest.

Possibly some of these people are trying to make a statement? I could justify that if I could figure out what there issue is.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

dustjunky2000

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Greenfield
    Maybe it's a statement about how they see America; a faded and tattered version of what it once was. Like when people burn the flag when unconstitutional laws are passed. It's not that they hate America like some morons think. It's symbolic of what they perceive to be happening to their country. That would make sense to me. :scratch:

But more likely, they're just too lazy to get a new flag. :rolleyes:

17Chap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Mine's pretty nasty right now. I have a new one that will go up as soon as the weather improves.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27z_iQ9ei80"]YouTube - Ragged Old Flag Johnny Cash[/ame]

Jess

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    My employer has had the same flag flying day and night with no light through all weather the entire 4 years I have been there and they will not replace it. I think I'll go say something again monday.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I'm just glad they're flying one. Too many people AREN'T flying one. I don't know how many times I've been driving down the road trying to figure out which way the wind's blowing and thinking, "Does NO ONE fly the flag anymore?".

I would have one flying outside my house, but the owner refuses to let me install a flag pole. :rolleyes: So here sits my flag, beside my desk, and gets flow when I go to stop on the overpass to fly the flag for all the interstate goers to see.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Maybe it's a statement about how they see America; a faded and tattered version of what it once was. Like when people burn the flag when unconstitutional laws are passed. It's not that they hate America like some morons think. It's symbolic of what they perceive to be happening to their country. That would make sense to me. :scratch:

But more likely, they're just too lazy to get a new flag. :rolleyes:

If I ever saw someone burn the flag, other then to dispose of it. I would probably beat them in the head!

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Oh and anyone around Ft Wayne, there is a guy on Stellhorn that flys the flag and the gadsden flag right under it!! :rockwoot:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    So it is perceived as "better" to only fly the flag in good weather, rather than all the time? I can understand insisting on having it lit up, but only in good weather? In bad weather does the flag stand for less? Year 'round seems to me to suggest an enduring quality.

I am not trying to be argumentative, but I'd like to hear from those who take it down in bad weather; whats your reasoning? If I light mine year round, what does that say to you?

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Maybe this?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whmVGRSgAe8"]YouTube - Ragged Old Flag[/ame]

But I agree if you are not going to fly it correctly do not put one up.

topash

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Anywhere
    US Flag Code says: "the flag should be displayed only when the weather is fair, except when an all weather flag is displayed."

Don't know what an "all weather" flag is.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    US Flag Code says: "the flag should be displayed only when the weather is fair, except when an all weather flag is displayed."

Don't know what an "all weather" flag is.

At the risk of sounding picky, I want to point out that adherence to the flag code is voluntary. Also, what I am really wondering is the reasoning behind only flying in good weather. I understand that the flag code says so, but why?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    At the risk of sounding picky, I want to point out that adherence to the flag code is voluntary. Also, what I am really wondering is the reasoning behind only flying in good weather. I understand that the flag code says so, but why?
    For the most part the Flag Code was based off Military Regulations and Standards.

The reasoning for behind only in good weather is that there is a foul weather flag. If I remember correctly its correct title is a storm flag...

PS.. When I get to work I'll pull up the Mil Reg and add for reference. :D

PSS... The Army Regulation covoring the display of the Flag is AR 840-10 dated 1 Novemeber 1998. Chapter 2 covers the different types of flags.

Last edited:

JAMZ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    We were in a military convoy and passed by truckstop with the flag on the groung at the base of the flagpole.............we stopped and things got heated

Top Bottom