• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rush176

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    somewhere over the rainbow
    I'm such a loser I have had a flag pole at my house since I moved here 12 years ago and I have had a flag up for a total of 2 weeks. Now the rope is all torn up and rotted so I think I'll just pull it out.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I am not trying to be argumentative, but I'd like to hear from those who take it down in bad weather; whats your reasoning? If I light mine year round, what does that say to you?

I take it down so it will not get ruined. Too easy to get wrapped around the pole and tear. Mine is pretty durable and weather-resistant, but I'd like to keep it looking nice. We bought it from Mount Vernon when we visited.

Now that spring is here, it will be up 24x7 unless a bad storm is rolling in. Then, it gets folded (correctly) and set inside.

You have yours up year-around? Good!

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Is it just me, or do you notice more torn, faded flags being flown now a days? Not just at residences, but also at businesses. Some I drive past daily drive me nuts, like one that is a full size flag tied around the middle of a mail box post. Some others look like their owners are in a "my flag is older than your flag" contest.

Possibly some of these people are trying to make a statement? I could justify that if I could figure out what there issue is.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

I fly a new one, look at my avatar!

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Why? If someone wants to burn the flag, they can. It's protected under the first amendment. Texas v. Johnson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia You have about as much right to beat them in the head for burning it as they do you for flying it.

Proper disposal of a flag is not just burning it. If you have a tattered flag and need to lay it to rest take it to any VFW post, you don't have to be a member, they will take proper care of it for you. Please don't just burn a flag or throw it away.

If you don't want to take the time to show proper respect for the flag itself then dispose of it properly out of respect for those that died for it.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Why? If someone wants to burn the flag, they can. It's protected under the first amendment. Texas v. Johnson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia You have about as much right to beat them in the head for burning it as they do you for flying it.

You are right they can, but their asking for a jolly old ### kicking. The flag does not represent Government. If someone wants to protest, then burn some money.

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    Don't get me wrong, I don't like it any more than you do. But it's still their right that you signed up to protect. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's wrong. In that same line of thinking, someone may come up and punch you for exercising your second amendment right.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I fly my flag 24/7, 365 days a year and unlit. If someone wants to knock on my door and complain, I'll march my happy but outside and take down the flag, pole and all and put it up. I'm not a fan of ettiquette Nazis.

Top Bottom