• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Think that any/all AR-style rifle would have been checked?

How about any/all Mini-14-style rifles?

How about any/all FAL rifles?

Beretta 92/96 pistols?

Full-sized Glocks?

One would think that as upset as we (meaning many INGOers) get over a handgun confiscation at a traffic stop - that this would also garner the same outrage. It's THE SAME THING. "I need to check your firearm" - without regard to the 100% legality of carrying one.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    How was it improper? Because ATM says so? lol

Well, that should be enough for most people. ;)

There are narrow exceptions to the protections defined in the bill of rights.

Politeness is not a valid exception to violate these rights.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    How was it improper? Because ATM says so? lol

How did you get to 19,000+ posts and not already know this? :dunno:

Check for license (if you think you have to) then Shutup and leave!

The LEO was a duffess............How can you check a weapon to see if it's an automatic by dry firing and looking at the outside? But HE could tell by his experience????? :laugh: You have no idea unless you break it down and look inside or fire it. He did neither. :n00b:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

The LEO was a duffess............How can you check a weapon to see if it's an automatic by dry firing and looking at the outside? But HE could tell by his experience????? :laugh: You have no idea unless you break it down and look inside or fire it. He did neither. :n00b:

Are you sure? I think you can tell from a function check. If not, how about looking at the selector switch? :dunno:

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Are you sure? I think you can tell from a function check. If not, how about looking at the selector switch? :dunno:

So you're going to believe a selector switch? You can modify the inside to do the same without changing the selector switch (did it in the military). How do you do a function check like the Leo did and tell? :dunno: Serious here if you can I'd like to know.....always willing to learn! Thx in advance!

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin

Ha! Nice.

Wrong, a LTCH applies to HANDGUNS. Also, you can very easily check to see if it's automatic, as described earlier on this page or the one before.

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012

That's incorrect. You can determine the status by a functions check like he did.

1. Charge the weapon
    2. Dry fire and keep trigger depressed
    3. Charge weapon again
    If the weapon fires, then it's full auto (or burst on military weapons). If it doesn't fire, then it's only semi-auto.

You don't have to break down anything. This is really basic stuff.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    The "function check" you witnessed was a check to validate the officers suspicions (he did mentioned after taking possession that it did appear to be only a semi-auto) that the weapon was semi-auto. As already mentioned in this thread a very simple process to determine that is as follows:

clear weapon and ensure magazine and all ammunition are removed,
    close bolt, put selector on safe and pull trigger, nothing happens right? (if so see below), move selector to fire and pull trigger,
    while holding trigger cycle the weapon,
    does the hammer fall when the bolt closes?

If not, verify that the hammer did not fall by releasing the trigger and pulling it again while listening for the hammer to fall. If it doesn't fall, it's likely that it fell when the bolt closed and you didn't hear it (meaning full-auto), it could also mean the weapon is malfunctioning and needs further investigation to determine the true cause and type of weapon

Now, check for additional selector positions that may, or may not be marked on the exterior of the receiver. If there are more positions, check them all the same way as above. Be sure to check the "safe" position as well. It is possible for a weapon to be modified so that it fires full-auto in the "safe" position and a cursory check like this by a lesser educated officer may not catch that.

So you're going to believe a selector switch? You can modify the inside to do the same without changing the selector switch (did it in the military). How do you do a function check like the Leo did and tell? :dunno: Serious here if you can I'd like to know.....always willing to learn! Thx in advance!
    Reading the thread helps...

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

No, I'm not saying that he should trust the selector switch, but at least that's a start. As for a function check, I've done it just like CountryBoy described above. Was I doing it incorrectly?

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    That's incorrect. You can determine the status by a functions check like he did.

1. Charge the weapon
    2. Dry fire and keep trigger depressed
    3. Charge weapon again
    If the weapon fires, then it's full auto (or burst on military weapons). If it doesn't fire, then it's only semi-auto.

You don't have to break down anything. This is really basic stuff.

Thanks for the information. Never put the two together. See I learn something every day! Appreciated!

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Probable Cause wasn't necessary for the stop, merely reasonable suspicion. The firearm was in plain view. The burden was met from the information that the officer provided, if said information was in fact accurate.

Based upon the information from the first 3 minutes of the video, it appears to be a clean Terry Stop.

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    Probable Cause wasn't necessary for the stop, merely reasonable suspicion. The firearm was in plain view. The burden was met from the information that the officer provided, if said information was in fact accurate.

Based upon the information from the first 3 minutes of the video, it appears to be a clean Terry Stop.

I'm conflicted about stops for OC. On one hand, I think that police should treat it like anything else, and leave it alone unless witnessing a crime.

On the other hand, I can see why they'd stop this guy (even without a call from dispatch). It's kinda like stopping a driver when he's swerving, or driving erratically. He's not exactly carrying a Glock, you know?

If it looks like a duck...

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    Thanks for the information. Never put the two together. See I learn something every day! Appreciated!

Haha I've learned so much from other members just by lurking and reading... I was just happy to finally be able to offer something.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I'm conflicted about stops for OC. On one hand, I think that police should treat it like anything else, and leave it alone unless witnessing a crime.

Agreed. However, the police do have authority to investigate a reasonable suspicion of illegal behavior. The police officer in the video made a minimal intrusion.

On the other hand, I can see why they'd stop this guy (even without a call from dispatch). It's kinda like stopping a driver when he's swerving, or driving erratically. He's not exactly carrying a Glock, you know?

Agreed once again. Contingent that lawful authority isn't exceeded, as I've already expounded upon.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin

The thing most people forget is that in Indiana carrying a handgun IS a crime and will be investigated as such. The defense against charges is presenting an LTCH. Once that is produced, nothing further should happen.

Again, this applies to handguns, not long guns, or guns that the officer has RAS to believe are automatic, sbr, etc.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've read the entire thread, and I'm torn on this one... yes, I think the officer handled himself in a courteous and professional manner; however, I do think that there was a line crossed. Now I'm not saying that the "boys" didn't get what they had coming, as they were obviously trying to provoke a rights violation; but, I personally did not see anything in that video that should have warranted a seizure and function check. As stated up-thread, having a weapon that resembles an NFA weapon is not, again in my opinion, basis for a seizure.

Pretty much the way I feel. Maybe it's because we are so conditioned to being stopped and having to defend our actions, that when we see a rather professional incident such as this, we're ok with it...maybe we shouldn't be, no matter how proffesional and courteous the officer is.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Agreed. However, the police do have authority to investigate a reasonable suspicion of illegal behavior. The police officer in the video made a minimal intrusion.

Agreed once again. Contingent that lawful authority isn't exceeded, as I've already expounded upon.

But there was no illegal behavior... it is not illegal to openly carry a long gun in Oregon, or IN for that matter; it is not illegal to own an FA weapon either, so either way, he had no basis for suspicion.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    The thing most people forget is that in Indiana carrying a handgun IS a crime and will be investigated as such. The defense against charges is presenting an LTCH. Once that is produced, nothing further should happen.

Again, this applies to handguns, not long guns, or guns that the officer has RAS to believe are automatic, sbr, etc.

Ahh, so we are all guilty until proven innocent... I see your reasoning, and I do not accept it. It is only illegal to carry if you are felon, and/or do not have an LTCH, so if innocent until proven guilty, we should not be harassed unless there is clear and present evidence/suspicion that a crime is being committed. In this case there was no evidence/suspicion, so, the officer still crossed a line!!!!

Top Bottom