• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I got my wife a 500 lumen surefire. It is a good flashlight but burns through batteries fast. It will light up my backyard bright as day. Next one I will get will be one that can use on lower power when needed.
    The good thing is with one teenage daughter and another close behind I can light up any boys that come walking in the backyard.
    Just don't shoot them like that guy in Houston.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    So the 36 lumen setting on my new FourSevens light is brighter than the "150 lumen" flashlight I have from walmart. How is that possible?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So the 36 lumen setting on my new FourSevens light is brighter than the "150 lumen" flashlight I have from walmart. How is that possible?

• Some makers overestimate the luminous flux of their lights and some of them outright lie.
    • Sometimes the maker will advertise the maximum luminous flux of the light that the installed emitter can produce, but their product for a variety of reasons is not reaching that number.
    • Luminous flux (measured in Lumens) is related to radiant flux adjusted to how the human eye perceived light. Your eyes may be at an extreme one way or the other terms of how you perceive the light.
    • Perceived brightness is affected by other factors, particularly the shape and quality of the reflector.
    • etc.

Last edited:

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    • Some makers overestimate the luminous flux of their lights and some of them outright lie.
    • Sometimes the maker will advertise the maximum luminous flux of the light that the installed emitter can produce, but their product for a variety of reasons is not reaching that number.
    • Luminous flux (measured in Lumens) is related to radiant flux adjusted to how the human eye perceived light. Your eyes may be at an extreme one way or the other terms of how you perceive the light.
    • Perceived brightness is affected by other factors, particularly the shape and quality of the reflector.
    • etc.
    I'm out of reps, but thanks. :+1:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Thats the problem you will run into with a $30 flashlight that says its 1000 lumens. It won't really be close to 1000 lumens.

Keep an eye on the clearance section on our site. Typically the ingo coupon works as well.

Ingo coupon!? I just ordered a couple lights from you guys and had no idea!

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Okay does anybody know of a 1000+ lumen flashlight that is less than 30 dollars. I am looking for one that throws a bright beam at least 100 feet.

I agree, I don't need a 1000 lumen. I just want it. I deliver pizzas and a bright flashlight helps me find addresses at night and helps when people forget to turn on their porch lights.
    I was just trying to find a good light at a decent price. I have a 2000 lumen flashlight that I acquired from eBay for 17 dollars. The only problem is someone must of had a typo, cause it's closer to 200 lumen than it is to 2000. And that is running on two 18650 batteries.

Maglite 2D. If you want to carry it on your person it may be a bit large, but you can get a belt ring for it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Maglite 2D. If you want to carry it on your person it may be a bit large, but you can get a belt ring for it.

The LED version of the 2D Maglite is an impressive performer that goes relatively unnoticed by the flashlight junkies.

It's rated for only 134 lumens, but . . . it has one of if not the best reflectors available on the market. When we had our rifle low-light shoot a couple of years ago, I had a light that made over 700 lumens, but it was not able to effectively illuminate targets at 240 yards because of the reflector design. It was made (as are most) as more of a floodlight than a spotlight. The 2D LED Maglite, on the other hand, could be focused to easily put a spotlight on a target at 240 yards (and this was with significant diffuse light from the Moon). Maglite's specs claim 388 meters, and if it's really dark, it can probably do that.

They also don't cost much.

ADVANTAGES: amazing "throw," inexpensive, sturdy, can be used as an effective impact weapon, uses common D-cells
    DISADVANTAGES: bulky, not enough lumens to "turn on the sun" in a dark room

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I have a 3 dcell maglight. It has a 50 lumen led in it and it absolutely sucks. It does a huge flood with no spot ability whatsoever. I am wondering what would the difference between the light you mentioned and the one I have?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have a 3 dcell maglight. It has a 50 lumen led in it and it absolutely sucks. It does a huge flood with no spot ability whatsoever. I am wondering what would the difference between the light you mentioned and the one I have?

How old is it? Is it original Maglite, or did you put a drop-in LED module in it? Are you turning the bezel to adjust the focus of the beam?

One difference for sure is 134 lumens vs. 50. Second, the emitter in your light may not be positioned properly to take advantage of the reflector.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Well after inspecting it is a old maglight with a letter D in the beginning of the serial number. The led bulb is weird looking thing that says night eyes on it. I have a mini mag led that just embarrasses it. The big one barely lights up a dark room. In fact the only thing it's brighter than is itself with the regular bulb in it. At that point I would rather use a candle.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    The LED version of the 2D Maglite is an impressive performer that goes relatively unnoticed by the flashlight junkies.

It's rated for only 134 lumens, but . . . it has one of if not the best reflectors available on the market. When we had our rifle low-light shoot a couple of years ago, I had a light that made over 700 lumens, but it was not able to effectively illuminate targets at 240 yards because of the reflector design. It was made (as are most) as more of a floodlight than a spotlight. The 2D LED Maglite, on the other hand, could be focused to easily put a spotlight on a target at 240 yards (and this was with significant diffuse light from the Moon). Maglite's specs claim 388 meters, and if it's really dark, it can probably do that.

ADVANTAGES: amazing "throw," inexpensive, sturdy, can be used as an effective impact weapon, uses common D-cells

I see there's a "Pro" version with quite a bit more rated output - 274 lumens...

Maglite® Pro LED 2-Cell D Flashlights

How does this compare reflector-wise? I'd think the reflector would be the same?

Price is reasonable enough:

Amazon.com: Maglite ST2P016 LED 2D Pro, Black: Home Improvement

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County

:+1:

I should have mentioned that I did mean the LED version, not the incandescent. I won't ever buy another incandescent Maglite. They just don't compare AT ALL to the LED versions. I got an incandescent for my car since it was about $10 cheaper, and the output was so weak I had to return it and get the LED one.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Finally shook down our rep this afternoon. They said they had an "issue" getting them in. They say Wed or Thursday is our ship date. SO that buts us maybe Friday, but probably Monday.

I have a very lightly used one if you are in a hurry. Shoot me a PM if you are.

That's OK. I'm out of town most of next week, so hopefully it will be here when I get back.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    In Walmart today, I saw a flashlight rated on the packaging at 1000 lumens. It took a lot of effort to pass on it!

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    In Walmart today, I saw a flashlight rated on the packaging at 1000 lumens. It took a lot of effort to pass on it!
    My daughter has a Disney Princess flashlight that's brighter than a Walmart flashlight I have. It probably wasn't worth the money they were asking for it.

Top Bottom