• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I went with the Fenix RC11. I prefer a tailcap switch but it's not necessarily a deal breaker if I like a particular light. The RC11 is alittle bit bigger in size due to the 18650 battery but I was impressed by the increased output and run time capabilities.

Taylor22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 3, 2016
    Morgan county
    I'm somewhat on a budget and was looking for a decent light for my nightstand to live with my G19. I picked up a Anker 900lm flashlight with a rechargeable battery for $22 on cyber Monday on amazon (normally $29). I have to say I'm pretty impressed for such a cheap light. Nice aluminum, Bright, adjustable beam, micro USB charging, adjustable brightness.
    They make a 400 and 1300lm version as well.
    http://Anker LC90 LED Flashlight, I...p/B01KH2JP5G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_6Y4pybHSBW9E1

blakeelee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Brownsburg
    for tactical lights, surefire and streamlight are the best brands. I wouldnt get wrapped up in getting the most lumens. You probably dont need a ton.

for a utility light (ie, not the one you use in emergency situations) thrunites and olights are pretty durable.

TKDMaster10

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2015
    Avon, IN
    If i'm at work, I EDC a Fenix PD35. It is by far my favorite flashlight I own. If i'm just out and about, I carry an Olight S2 Baton which is another fantastic light.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I just got my gift card Christmas present for myself. I used to carry a Lumapower EDC LM21 with a 10440 Lithium. This was tail clicky and capable of around 200 lumens for short times. I would have to cycle through to get to high, but it wasn't too bad. I dropped it one too many times and killed it. I decided to see if a small CR123 style light is too big in my work "dress" clothes.

Olight S1R - Compared to a full sized tactical light, this is tiny. About the length and thickness of my thumb. Compared to a AAA light, it is almost double thickness. Just a little thicker, but shorter than my 4Sevens AA light.

Currently my only dislike is no tail switch. However, the charger setup would make that impossible. It comes with a RCR123 rechargeable battery that has the current capacity of hitting 900 lumens for a short time. It will thermal back down to just over 300 lumens when everything heats up.

I use my light in an overwhelming non-defensive use. I doubt a day goes by that I haven't used my EDC light 5 times (and much more in the winter, obviously). If it is dark and I'm wanting minimum light, regardless of mode saved, a 1 second press to turn on starts in Moonlight mode (0.5 Lumens). This is something I've wished on many of my lights. Otherwise, it will turn on to your last saved mode of Low (12), Med (60) or High (300). I normally have it at low or med. Holding down will cycle between Low, Med and High.

If a defensive use comes up, I power up with a double click. The thing I like is that it is a step that is always the same (unlike having to toggle modes and look at the light to get back there.) The first double click jumps into Turbo mode (600 lumens to start and heat backed to around 300). Another double click is Turbo S at 900 lumens to start. 600 is more than enough. 300 is fine. (The Turbo outputs are dependent on battery voltage. At 3.1V both Turbo modes are back to High at 300 lumens.)

If you turn off the light, it will turn on in Turbo (or Turbo S) mode for 10 minutes. After that it will revert to Med. This is also good for a defensive situation where you will potentially want to turn off and on the light. Triple click enters strobe mode (10 Hz, I think).

I normally don't use a clip. However, I'm now using the clip for a tactile locator on the opposite side of the button.

The best part of this flashlight is the USB dock for it. The charging ring is magnetically attached and just "thunks" onto the back. I burned Turbo a bunch yesterday and back topped off after 30 minutes on my desk. I'm loving this light after just a few days use.

This is like my KelTec P3AT. Not the best to use in a defensive situation, but small enough that it can always be with me. Unlike the 10440 cells, I don't have to disassemble to charge and it will be very easy to plop it on my desk after a little bit of use and keep it topped off. So this is an imperfect tactical light that will always be with me. Rather than an 18650 that I can say will be with me, but rarely will. Just like the P3AT in hand, versus the G17 in the gun safe.

I really think far too many people who carry, neglect the EDC flashlight. Hopefully the newer and almost disappearing flashlights will help solve this.

Edit: Just realized that the magnetic attachment of the charger is from the flashlight, not the charger. So it sticks onto steel. I didn't think I would like it more. :)

Last edited:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I got my SC52 a big brother, a SC63...

I don't really notice the size difference in EDC while wearing jeans. But you can sure tell the difference when you turn it on full blast.:yesway:

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    I'm a surefire guy. I've got quite a few, I've been buying old 6p's and converting them to led. I have probably given away close to 20 to good friends and family members. I'm stuck on the e series now and I need a defender and I should probably get another hobby, they are expensive. I also run surefire m962'so with led conversions on my rifles.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I have a Surefire Fury P2X, that is a dual output. However, I do not like how on first click it goes to low (I would prefer high). Is there a way to modify it to be a single output only on high or have the high setting come first.....

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    I would check and see if you can change the tail switch. Most models use the same size switch, I would check on candlepowerforums. Those guys are always helpful and very up to date on the model interchangeable switches and heads. Dan

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'm back at looking for a new EDC light.
    No CR123A litium batteries or Surefire brand flashlight since apparently they cannot be shipped overseas. :noway:

Can you find something bright enough when you're stuck with AA batteries? :dunno:

Either one single AA or two AA.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I just got one of these in today. Seen a good EDC review vid on YouTube. I've broken two 4sevens Preon 2's, so I was looking for a decent EDC admin light. These are inexpensive, twist turn on and chinese made, but I figured worth the risk for $14.

150 lumen, start in the medium mode, clip to anything including hat bills and anywhere on your shirt. A whole lot of power in a small, nearly weightless package.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DXMMGPS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

41RZa5deXhL.jpg

This is a "best seller" that looks to be nearly the same. Only $11 for the black. I ordered a purple one for $13. We'll see if it can replace the 28 lumen Streamlight in the pocket organizer.

https://www.amazon.com/GLAREE-E03-K..._rd_wg=6D8nE&refRID=7DCWZ17F5Z1FHZHBVAS5&th=1

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I'm back at looking for a new EDC light.
    No CR123A litium batteries or Surefire brand flashlight since apparently they cannot be shipped overseas. :noway:

Can you find something bright enough when you're stuck with AA batteries? :dunno:

Either one single AA or two AA.

Single AA lights will get about 100 lumens. Double AA lights will reach the 300s. Very usable if CR123 isn't an option.

My 4Sevens Quark AA is barely smaller diameter than my Olight S1R (CR123), but a bit longer. Part of this is the rear clicky.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Single AA lights will get about 100 lumens. Double AA lights will reach the 300s. Very usable if CR123 isn't an option.

My 4Sevens Quark AA is barely smaller diameter than my Olight S1R (CR123), but a bit longer. Part of this is the rear clicky.

It's what I found out.You also have options with 4, 6 or even 8 AA batteries that get to the 1000's of lumens but they are really bulky and not EDC size anymore.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    I always prefer a Cr123 light because it handles the cold a lot better. If I leave a AA or AAA light in my truck it usually dead when I grab it. I have a tomahawk elbow light I keep in my truck. It always comes on when I need it to and the batteries are why. Current truck light/EDC It's small and also red and blue light options https://www.firstlight-usa.com/products/tomahawk-mc-tactical-light

I don't understand the practical use of a single output light. I use a weapon light (TLR-1) and I would only have a single output weapon light. As far as an EDC light I prefer the variable options. The extended battery and the fact I don't normally want to use all of those lumens. I guess it depends on if you are using it with a weapon or as a weapon.

I most commonly use my light for confined spaces, searching for something I dropped in the dark, walks at night to signal cars that I'm there, or using it light dimly lit areas I'm in. Very rarely do I need a bright light to accomplish those things so I prefer the variable power option.

I just purchased an Olight S2. I'm hoping it does alright for a $50 light. I like the magnetic base, especially if I'm around a vehicle, Mount to the hood when looking at the engine bay or just mounting on the toolbox. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017R6282W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I always prefer a Cr123 light because it handles the cold a lot better. If I leave a AA or AAA light in my truck it usually dead when I grab it. I have a tomahawk elbow light I keep in my truck. It always comes on when I need it to and the batteries are why. Current truck light/EDC It's small and also red and blue light options https://www.firstlight-usa.com/products/tomahawk-mc-tactical-light1

I put Lithium AA cells in lights for the glove box. The reason the one in my wife's car didn't come on is the bad tail switch on the Fenix. :xmad:

Top Bottom