• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Hey everyone. im looking to put a tactical flashlight on my Mossberg 500a Home Defense/Field Combo. I plan on mounting it to the mag tube with this:
    SHT-071 - Leapers UTG Universal Shotgun TriRail Barrel Mount 3 Slot Fits on Barrel or Under Barrel

Im just wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for a light that will be durable enough for taking recoil and somewhat compact. im also looking for something relatively cheap since im getting this for my home defense setup and im not planning on shooting everynight, or at least i hope not, so i dont need the "best" flashlight just something good enough to suit my needs.

sonrider657

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Home Defense is the ultimate reason for buying quality. It is not a matter of how often you might use it but how critical it is that it work when you need it. How much is your life worth?

I would look for a quality USA-Made light from Surefire, Elzetta, or Insight Technologies.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    no no no, dont get me wrong i know quality is important when ur life is at stake but im a high school student with a part time job and i really cant afford a $250 surefire or something like that. im looking for something under $150 preferably.
    im not tryin to get a setup for the cheapest possible i just dont see the need to spend about 3/4 of the cost of my gun on a flashlight. sorry if that was misunderstood, but i know there are quality products under my price range and those are the suggestions im looking for...

sonrider657

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Call Kevin at BrightFlashlights - (352) 732-2156

BrightFlashlights has the best prices on the best products and Kevin is a true expert on tactical flashlights.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Check out the Surefire G2 Nitrolon. Retail around $40.

G2® Nitrolon® Flashlight available in Black, Green, Yellow and Tan from SureFire

Your Mossberg 500 combo, if purchased new, came with a clamp which held the two barrels in place during shipping. If you take that clamp you can use it to secure the flashlight to the barrel. If this still doesn't make sense send me a PM and I will send you pictures.

Good luck. This is an under $50 solution that works.

sonrider657

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    bad how? Reliability?

Reliability, build quality, ruggedness, etc, etc.

Next time your at a gun show (which are always filled with junky chinese accessories), take a NcStar light apart (if the vendor will let you) and examine the machining, materials, and the electrical components. Then do the same with a quality U.S. Made light. It will be apparent why one costs 3X more than the other.

Also, compare the claimed lumen output ratings. Funny how an 80-lumen Surefire puts out more light than a "200 lumen" chinese light.

Armed & Christian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    MSG2 S.E. INDY
    Pelican is a cost-effective alternative to Surefires. You have to give props to a company who offers a lifetime guarantee voided only by sharkbite, bear attack, or destruction by a child under the age of 5.

I have a Pelican PM6 3330 as my EDC light, and another mounted on my AK clone. I have a Pelican Stealthlight in my BOB.

Someday I'll invest in a Surefire LED, but until I'm ready to drop that amount of coin, I'll confidently stick with my Pelican.

Edit: On my home-defense shotgun, I mounted one of those cheap, Coast "tactical" LED flashlights from Lowe's. The knurled button on one side actuates 5 white LED's, and the smooth button on the other side lights a single, bright red LED that provides excellent illumination without destroying your dark-adjusted vision.

After about a year or so, my white lights now provide an interesting strobe effect, but the red light (the one that really matters) works perfectly.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The best values on the market right now in terms of performance and quality for the price are Fenix and Olight. Their performance is outstanding.

john67103

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Fishers
    Streamlight TLR-1($99) or 1s($120). and a mag tube mount. you can then use the light on another gun in the future if you like. I put this setup on my 870 and it works perfectly. 120+ lumens momentary or constant with the tlr-1 and the tlr-1s is 160+ lumens with strobe available. Also it is made in america. I have a couple of Fenix lights and I like them but I prefer my Streamlights and Surefires.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Yea my Mossberg os new and i know what your talking about. i tried that and it works im just concerned if it will stay on after shooting a few rounds because its only held together with a single wing nut.
    and thanks for that surefire suggestion i was actually lookin at that one.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    The G2 is an excellent value but hardly the best ever made.

What you might be able to do with a Surefure E2D or one of those "face melting" 300 lumen $400 flashlights I can do just as well, and likely better, with a 40 dollar light.

From clearing a house in a tac setting to fixing the sink to finding the circuit breaker to anything else, a Surefire G2 is the best single flashlight that can do all of those.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I have Surefires, Streamlights, PentagOnlights, Mag lights and even a couple NcStar flashlights. They all do a pretty good job for what I need. The 10 dollar NcStar lights actually work better then my PentagOnlights. I have found I use the G2, Streamlight Strion, Streamlight Ultra Stinger and the two NcStar flashlights the most.

Top Bottom