FL Deputy Threatens to Shoot Concealed Carry Licensee and Arrests Him for Lawful

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN
    I think the man was totally wrong and defiant. Some day it will get him killed. Some people who carry think it makes them superman. As for the person who quit being a LEO after ten years. I don't blame you after reading some of the responses here. Back in Pa we had several officers killed in high profile cases of making traffic stops. Good men with families.

Wow, someone else can see it too.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't see anything in the intro that states the date. Are you saying this new video is an old stop from years ago?

The arrest happened in July 2009, apparently. I wonder if this incident was the catalyst for the later change in the law that allowed a brief accidental exposure.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Even in 2009, it was nothing more than a malum prohibitum misdemeanor for inadvertent visible exposure.

Quite an overreaction by the officer to something as non-threatening as seeing the bottom half of his holster when he turned around.

I understand that many officers prefer drivers to stay in the car. Most are capable of simply telling the driver to get back in the vehicle. This was obviously not even an issue to this particular officer until later, when he needed to fabricate some justification for his threats and behavior.

Sad.

saberstar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Bloomington, IN
    I am sorry but this video pissed me off. The officer was very verbally abusive. I dont know the laws in FL but this just seems soo over the top to me. I hope this officer gets in big trouble. His rights were violated.

Last edited:

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    I am sorry but this video pissed me off. The officer was very verbally abusive. I dont know the laws in FL but this just seems soo over the top to me. I hope this officer gets in big trouble. His rights were violated.

Hate to disappoint you but Andy was just given his 5 year service award recently. From the above post!

SERVICE AWARDS
    As I call your names, please come up on stage for group presentations and photos.

Five years
    Chris Bagge
    Joe Baker
    John Bergen
    Juan Berrios
    Laird Canfield
    Andy Cox :xmad:
    Abner Cruz
    Travis Haynes
    Rob Ramos
    Michele Tewell
    Betty Ward

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I didn't see anything wrong with the driver, other than getting out of his car.
    And the policeman was all calm about that, till he got HYSTERICAL over the glimpse of a gun.
    For God's sake, the neighborhood kids wouldn't scream like the officer did. If he is terrified of guns, maybe he needs a different profession.

williamrights

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    i was driving down the 31 past southport road and got lit up by at that time a marion county sheriff... it was late... about 2am...

said i was speeding... handed over my drivers license... he came back and asked me if i had a gun permit... yes... then he asked me if i had any guns in the car... no...

by then his back up was there... i consented to a search... they proceeded to look everywhere that didnt require car dismantling...

wrote me up for 10 over and let me go... that was it... had no guns in the car that night...
    You know I was once stopped walking while open carrying. He asked me if I had a permit and I said no. He said then it was illegal to carry open or otherwise. I told him in the state of Indiana you need a license to carry which I showed him and told him since he had nothing to detain me on I was free to go and walked away.

Big Ram

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    That's ridiculous. I'm pretty sure you don't have to tell them you're carrying unless they ask correct me if I'm wrong. I always tell them regardless

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Im LEO for 12 + years now and that is ridiculous. I dont see that kind of officer behavior being justified, motorist got out but that happens sometimes.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well, if he just got his 5 year service award and this happened 3.5 years ago, that explains some of it. Case of nervous rookie-itis.

Interesting how many calls for firing the guy. Did he overreact? Yeah, pretty plainly. If we fired every rookie who made a stupid decision or overreacted at some point, we'd have very few veterans, though. Follow up training and experience will fix him, or he'll get weeded out.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    i was driving down the 31 past southport road and got lit up by at that time a marion county sheriff... it was late... about 2am...

said i was speeding... handed over my drivers license... he came back and asked me if i had a gun permit... yes... then he asked me if i had any guns in the car... no...

by then his back up was there... i consented to a search... they proceeded to look everywhere that didnt require car dismantling...

wrote me up for 10 over and let me go... that was it... had no guns in the car that night...

Pretty much the law that anything that is found in the car is yours.

If you are the only person to ever drive the car, and you have never had a passenger then it marginally might be safe to let the cops search a car if they have no cause.

But if just one other person has ever, even once, been in the car you just may not know what was left behind for an enterprising cop to find and put on your shoulders.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    I don't get where any of you are seeing/hearing defiance from the driver. He was perfectly polite. Confused at first because he didn't realize he forgot to put his sticker on but confusion is not defiance. The exchange seemed almost conversational until the gun peeked out. He was a little slow to follow direction after that but I think it was from sheer disbelief that it was happening. When you go from amiable conversation to instant screaming and threats of death from a policeman when you haven't done anything more than forget your registration sticker you can get a little discombobulated..... I would hate for any of you to be a cop pulling me over(or any authority figure) if that is your measure of defiance.

Top Bottom