FL Deputy Threatens to Shoot Concealed Carry Licensee and Arrests Him for Lawful

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    So if new mental health regulations go into effect, Cox will have to find a new job and won't be able to purchase any firearms, correct?

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    This was totally the officer's fail. Civilians do not train to respond to traffic stops. I have not been stopped in more than 10 years. There was nothing aggressive about anything the driver did. A few people I know have driven 20 plus years and have never been pulled over. Is it likely that the protocol for civilian behavior may not be at the fore front of their minds when pulled over. This officer over reacted.

TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN
    This was totally the officer's fail. Civilians do not train to respond to traffic stops. I have not been stopped in more than 10 years. There was nothing aggressive about anything the driver did. A few people I know have driven 20 plus years and have never been pulled over. Is it likely that the protocol for civilian behavior may not be at the fore front of their minds when pulled over. This officer over reacted.

Watch the video again and listen to the driver, he was defiant from the get go.

427TriPowered

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    i was driving down the 31 past southport road and got lit up by at that time a marion county sheriff... it was late... about 2am...

said i was speeding... handed over my drivers license... he came back and asked me if i had a gun permit... yes... then he asked me if i had any guns in the car... no...

by then his back up was there... i consented to a search... they proceeded to look everywhere that didnt require car dismantling...

wrote me up for 10 over and let me go... that was it... had no guns in the car that night...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Florida law explicitly allows printing and unintentional (non-brandishing or non-threatening) reveal.

790.053 Open carrying of weapons.—
    (1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device. It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.

790.053 - - 2011 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

Now lets look at the same law in 2010:

790.053 Open carrying of weapons.—
    (1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device.
    (2) A person may openly carry, for purposes of lawful self-defense:
    (a) A self-defense chemical spray.
    (b) A nonlethal stun gun or dart-firing stun gun or other nonlethal electric weapon or device that is designed solely for defensive purposes.
    (3) Any person violating this section commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
    History.—s. 1, ch. 87-537; s. 173, ch. 91-224; s. 3, ch. 97-72; s. 1205, ch. 97-102; s. 3, ch. 2006-298.

Flsenate Archive: Statutes & Constitution > View Statutes

So, when was the video shot?

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Read an article once on trhe subject of no matter what training youve had react is always slower than act. The guy in the van seemed quite defiant, sorry he did. Very slow to respond to officers orders. Now the cop didnt quite do as well as he could of, but all of us hear typing arent in a situation where the driver may or may not shoot us in the face. Double fail

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009

Summed up in three sentences.

Watch the video again and listen to the driver, he was defiant from the get go.

Hmmm ... no defiance noted.

This officer is just too scared to be on the street.

He needs to do a ride-along with this Maine Trooper to learn a thing or two (and see real defiance):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRRTlrfTw0s

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    In Indiana it's best to just keep your permit handy but don't let them see it. Them knowing anything about even a possible firearm can only make things worse.

In MI you have to inform, same with OH so if you travel over the boarder some it may be better to show, but I don't in IN

Don't carry in OH, they don't recognize our LTCH.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I think the man was totally wrong and defiant. Some day it will get him killed. Some people who carry think it makes them superman. As for the person who quit being a LEO after ten years. I don't blame you after reading some of the responses here. Back in Pa we had several officers killed in high profile cases of making traffic stops. Good men with families.

Top Bottom