• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    With some instruction and creativity, one kettlebell can go a LOOOOONG way! I've been using them since 2003 and a certified instructor since 2009 and always try to spread the word so to speak. In my normal workout right now, I only need one but I cycle to where I might use 2 kettlebells of 2 different weights. For around $250 you could do the same very thing and be set for a very long time.

Dragon, would you consider this a good routine for beginners?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzo3LOwrShU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzo3LOwrShU[/ame]

I just started using kettlebells and I really enjoyed it.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Dragon, would you consider this a good routine for beginners?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzo3LOwrShU

I just started using kettlebells and I really enjoyed it.

Well, the exercises and routine aren't bad but that workout will only get you 3-5 weeks. Also, seek out some instruction, I'll help if you're interested because kettlebells are not easy to learn on your own and the video you linked, he only does two exercises right and neither one required a kettlebell (push-ups, sit-up/crunch). Doing the exercises correctly can keep you from being injured which can in turn allow you to train longer and harder.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I have five rules I try to follow to keep healthy.
    1. Eat right. - lots of veggies and protein, No white food (flour, rice, potatoes, or sugar), limited carbs - this keeps my reflux under control with no meds
    2. Exercise - I can't run any more, but walk 4-7 miles per day. Free weights and stretches.
    3. Get enough sleep - try to get eight hours a night.
    4. Hydrate - I only drink water. I don't drink my calories.
    5. Manage stress - sometimes the hardest, but the other four items help here. I like to paint, read, and shoot to relax as well.

I am in my fifties now, these rules have helped me stay healthy and mostly med free. I take a good multivitamin w/citrus bioflavenoids , probiotic, calcium, and omega3 sup.daily. The only med I have not been able to get rid of yet is Flonase, which I use for nasal allergies.

If I am faithful to follow these steps, I feel good and my weight stays steady and under control.

Your body will thank you as you age if you take care of it.:twocents: I have not always been good , but it is never too late to start. It still makes a difference.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    I have five rules I try to follow to keep healthy.
    1. Eat right. - lots of veggies and protein, No white food (flour, rice, potatoes, or sugar), limited carbs - this keeps my reflux under control with no meds
    2. Exercise - I can't run any more, but walk 4-7 miles per day. Free weights and stretches.
    3. Get enough sleep - try to get eight hours a night.
    4. Hydrate - I only drink water. I don't drink my calories.
    5. Manage stress - sometimes the hardest, but the other four items help here. I like to paint, read, and shoot to relax as well.

I am in my fifties now, these rules have helped me stay healthy and mostly med free. I take a good multivitamin w/citrus bioflavenoids , probiotic, calcium, and omega3 sup.daily. The only med I have not been able to get rid of yet is Flonase, which I use for nasal allergies.

If I am faithful to follow these steps, I feel good and my weight stays steady and under control.

Your body will thank you as you age if you take care of it.:twocents: I have not always been good , but it is never too late to start. It still makes a difference.

Some phenomenal advice! Rep inbound.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Fitness is a crucial prep in any scenario. After I left the military, I would go in stints where I would be healthy but it slowly turned into not caring and treating my body like a garbage can.

At 33, I looked MUCH healthier than I actually was. My smoking amplified my asthma and I found myself in the hospital twice with sever asthma attacks. Colds would quickly move from my head to my chest causing me to miss work and so on. It was getting bad.

I also had a horrible caffeine addiction that led me to sometimes drinking 2 rockstars daily along with multiple Mt. Dews.

Needless to say, Oct. 9th was my last day smoking and I finished caffeine on Dec. 18th, 2012.

I can't begin to describe how much better I feel. In the Army, I was completing 2 miles in under 12 minutes. The 3rd week of January I began running again and completed 1 mile in just over 12 minutes. Oh how the mighty fall.....

As of today, I'm down to a 10 minute mile. I've added an axe to my routine. Yesterday morning I spent an hour and a half swinging an axe. It helps that I have a stump that needs removed.

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Didn't read all the posts here, but I would definitely consider fitness & health a huge prep. I'm 28 now, from '04-'08 I used to smoke while I was in the Marines, then I started dipping and chewing, and sometimes I'd do all 3 at the same time... I used to eat Wendy's thinking it was "food", Subway used to be "healthy".... Well when I got out, I quit smoking and dipping through reason, I failed to see my body's "need" to smoke/dip etc.. and realized it was just a mindless habit-quit cold turkey and never looked back.

Now after some odd years of researching food ingredients, how food is grown, processed, delivered, produced, etc... and I've since learned what real food is and needless to say my health is FAR better. I follow the teachings of Dr.'s Weston A Price and Max Gerson. I'll stop the 'debate' if fitness & health is a prep and state a few things I can do on a whim:

-I can go 3 days without eating, without a second thought.
    -I'm not affected by flu's, infection, and even mold as much as everyone around me, if at all.
    -I can run miles with heightened energy during fasting (2 days +).
    -I can remain on a 1 meal-a-day schedule, it's quite comfortable for me.
    -I'm not constantly tired nor tire easily.
    -I'm not dependent on nor require any pharmaceuticals or "meds".

The benefits are mostly seen in terms of food usage, overall energy and energy expenditure while fasting (not eating for several days), and resilience against infection & viruses. I do run regularly but not too much for now (3.5mi), just getting over a partial calcaneous achilles rupture (achilles separating from my heel bone) from doing too much too fast. I've started working out my upper body only because my rifle in it's mat-bag is heavy enough now that I put a new stock on, to get me back in the swing of things. I been thinking about getting one of those sand-bag duffel bags from Dick's Sporting Goods.

But I'll be the first to admit I'm probably an extreme case. I avoid GMO's, processed food all-together, "snack" foods, I'll die of dehydration before I drink a soda, I dont eat out at restaurants, and make virtually everything I consume from scratch-to include my wine & bread (bread is SUPER easy BTW). Not sure if many people have the mental discipline to actually "choose not to be hungry" when offered food that they know is not healthy for them. Oh, I also eat wild plants and mushrooms, both of which are chock full of nutrition you just dont get in the store; so add that to the list above.

I focus mainly on nutrition, there's 2 categories: Nutrition & Calories. Leafy greens are high in nutrition (nutrients) and low in calories, white starchy foods like red potatoes, wheat, corn (except traditional latin-american maize), etc... are high in calories but low in nutrition; Fat has both, and not all fat is created equal. There's a lot more to "true nutrition" but this is about the basic principle, and there's definitely a lot to learn. I hope it helps some on here and inspires others to get healthy and get fit.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I guess I'm what's considered fit. But it occurs to me that maybe it's a good idea to carry a spare tire around the waist (I am speaking figuratively). So when disaster hits, your body has something to consume. After all, that's nature's way. Is there a study about this?

Top Bottom