• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    This is a good thread. I've lost lbs in the last month. My wife and I went on a 28 day detox program. This is the second time that I have done this. The first time I wasn't good about keeping up the proper eating habits and put 2/3rds of the weight I lost back on. This time I am trying to continue and build from that.

I had started to ride my bike more last summer but haven't ridden in 3 months now. For some reason I had not even thought about taking hikes with a pack or riding with one on. I need to go dig my pack out. Following along with you guys will help keep me motivated.

Cable

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    Excellent thread.

Don't forget dental and doctor visits. They won't be around when SHTF. Get those elective procedures and dental work up to date while you can, especially when your health insurance pays for it anyway.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Started a physical fitness pact with a close friend of mine also on the forum. A year ago I was nearly 90lbs overweight (pushing 275) and he was about 10-15lbs underweight. I've been doing both Weight Watchers and his exercise regiment at the gym consisting of weight training 3x/wk and at least 30 min of hard cardio 5-6x/wk. He in turn has been following his own diet along with spotting each other on weights. One of the goals in our weight training has been a special emphasis on core and upper body strength training to make our respective ARs "lighter" in hand. We've also been doing hand/wrist workouts to improve our trigger control and dexterity.

As of today I am currently 46lbs lighter (227 lbs) with 35-40lbs more to go (goal <190lbs) and my friend is maintaining 15lbs of solid muscle he's put on. Still going strong and anticipating hitting my goal before the end of this year! (Weight Watchers does indeed work)

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    P90X has done wonders for me.

I got fat during my wifes pregnancy. After my daughter turned 3, I was 5'10" and 278 lbs. WTH??

That was Dec of 2010. In 2011, I got on a health kick that the whole family really embraced. I got down to 223 lbs by the summer of 2011 just by changing what and how we eat. Maintained that for the remainder of the year.

Feb of 2012 I picked up P90X. Got down to 198 lbs and was in amazing shape. I continued with P90X until mid-September and lost focus during hunting season. I'm back on it now but picked up 10 lbs and lost a lot of muscle tone, especially my core.

Fitness as a prep should be at the top of the list IMO. The old saying, "If you don't have your health, you don't have anything." rings so true. It's not just about hiking, fighting, working, etc...in SHTF. Survival is about day to day living in the present as well. What good is it to prep for SHTF if you die of a heart attack before a SHTF event even happens? Or worse, you don't eat right and end up with Type II Diabetes (diabeetus lol, love the way that old dude says it) then what are you going to do if you can't get your insulin during a long term SHTF?

Good luck to everyone who is on that path. Congrats to those who are already walking down it. Keep up the good work. If you're still looking at the path from the sidelines eating a McDs cheeseburger, it's time to get motivated to do something about it!

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Try to fit it in to other elements of your life.If possible try cycling to work sign up for an event to motivate you, a tough mudder or zombie run whatever suits your fancy. I would sign up for random event several months down the road just to keep me motivated. I've recently joined the YMCA and started taking some of the group classes they offer ie. Circuit and Tabita which will kick your ass but leave you in great shape. Gives a good opportunity to develop new friendships and add a bit of friendly competition. I'm down 14lbs from Jan 1st with about 25 more to go.

Oh and Spitfire check this link I ran with something like this for hydration. I like the seperate containers so I could have water in one and heed or other energy drink in another [ame=http://www.amazon.com/ProForm-PFFB09-Hydration-Belt/dp/B004BPSAIE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360982160&sr=8-1&keywords=belt+hydration]Amazon.com: ProForm Hydration Belt: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Honestly there is nothing more important to survival than fitness. Think about it for a second. What is the point of survival prepairdness?? It's too keep you eating and sheltered. What's the point of that? To keep your body running in a healthful manner!!
    There is a reason why men and women are attracted to people who are "in shape".. We are biologically programmed to like people in shape because they will survive longer to reproduce/raise babies!
    So really if you're not starting off with your own health, you're totally missing the point!!! Weight, eyes, ears, teeth, mental/emotional health etc. Not only does being healthy help your survival, it's the whole point of surviving! No point in living if you're a disease ridden, non-moving, man/women in constant pain who can't do jack squat.
    Being physically fit helps your emotional health via your self image and litterally feeling better. It helps you in the bedroom via stamina and desire. (If your quite overweight, losing weight will even help penis size. Not kidding. Fat covers up the base and the more you lose the more of it sticks out.) It causes other people to take you more seriously. It makes your weapons and gear "lighter". It gives you more energy to do the things you want to do, and it even helps keep your brain sharper.
    Seriously. Get in shape. Like right now.
    Being a healthcare guy this issue causes me to get on my :soapbox: lol

Last edited:

Signal23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Greenwood
    Good thread, I am 5'-10" and 273lbs, hate it, I was a runner in my twentys, it's time for sure to change some things.

I did check my testosterone (doc did) and it's way low, so I am hoping correcting that as well will help.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I figured this would be a good place for this workout demonstration. If we get it going, maybe fitness could have its own forum.

[ame="http://youtu.be/2wmLodEZIqA"]http://youtu.be/2wmLodEZIqA[/ame]

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Your first weapon ....

... is your brain. Your second weapon is your body. Your third weapon is your friend, whom you can count on -- no matter what -- to cover your "six" when needs-be! But if your brain cannot tell your body to GET INTO SHAPE, I DON'T NEED YOU IN my battalion! I am NOT gonna carry YOU!! Yes, I'll take your ammo, water and weapons and leave you lie there. I am on my way, 'cuz I believed my body when it told me to "GET IN SHAPE." The above demo obviously has had a year or more for prep!! Way to GO !!! "Stronger, faster, harder to kill!" Says it all.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Another cheap workout option.

[ame="http://youtu.be/il8rU0H-9ps"]http://youtu.be/il8rU0H-9ps[/ame]

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    827205E7-5B90-4B6A-ABAC-96EDBDF088AB-12358-00001248B2845AD7_zps6133b226.jpg

BF11BA44-C25B-45C1-91A7-347E9D43956C-12358-00001248AC7F9ADB_zps33e5712f.jpg

Just finished my Sunday workout.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Lovemachine, a lot of people swear by the kettlebells but it stinks they are so expensive. Good setup though!

With some instruction and creativity, one kettlebell can go a LOOOOONG way! I've been using them since 2003 and a certified instructor since 2009 and always try to spread the word so to speak. In my normal workout right now, I only need one but I cycle to where I might use 2 kettlebells of 2 different weights. For around $250 you could do the same very thing and be set for a very long time.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom