fish selections.... 10 gal, going to 55 gal soon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Don't concern yourself with your pH. Ever. Seriously. For any of the fish you're going to keep it really will never matter.
    There are some fish that are very sensitive to a high ph, discus and most new world cichlids don't do well in ph this high. He should be concerned with it in that he doesn't want ph swings, those will kill his fish if it happens to fast.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Caleb, they will be fine in your water, having to high a ph is ok, but the higher the more stable, and the less it moves the better it is for the fish, to much of a ph swing can kill your fish quick! Sorry to hear about your experience at inland, they have always be very knowledgeable and helpful, oh yeah, wear a Tshirt, it's like being at an indoor ocean :D I forgot that little detail.

brackish fish are fish that live in the boundary waters between fresh and salt water, usually the salt concentration is a lot lower than ocean water, but high enough to kill a freshwater fish. Mollies are one of those, they can be kept in fresh, brackish, or salt water if they are introduced slowly.

I'm not overly put off by it, just hoped to find somebody more knowledgeable to answer my noob questions... the girl was cute though.

There are some fish that are very sensitive to a high ph, discus and most new world cichlids don't do well in ph this high. He should be concerned with it in that he doesn't want ph swings, those will kill his fish if it happens to fast.

Which brings up an important question.... south american cichlids or African cichlids? I also thought about adding a clown poach later down the road.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I'm not overly put off by it, just hoped to find somebody more knowledgeable to answer my noob questions... the girl was cute though.

hey, as long as she was cute... I need that fish waaaay down there...

Which brings up an important question.... south american cichlids or African cichlids? I also thought about adding a clown poach later down the road.
    Africans will thrive in our liquid rock in indiana, and they live longer than South American cichlids, but they are also a lot more aggressive I think some smaller Africans in a 55 would be good, just make sure they have plenty of rock to hide in. There's another place in terre haute it's called Atlantis, it's decent, not quite the fish selection of inland but they have a lot of stuff. Clown loaches are cool, I've got one in my 30, they do get big though, him and my angel fish have a little underwater mafia going on, I think the 2 gouramis are undercover agents... Just make sure your loach has somewhere to get in to sleep and hide and it will be happy.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Africans will thrive in our liquid rock in indiana, and they live longer than South American cichlids, but they are also a lot more aggressive I think some smaller Africans in a 55 would be good, just make sure they have plenty of rock to hide in. There's another place in terre haute it's called Atlantis, it's decent, not quite the fish selection of inland but they have a lot of stuff. Clown loaches are cool, I've got one in my 30, they do get big though, him and my angel fish have a little underwater mafia going on, I think the 2 gouramis are undercover agents... Just make sure your loach has somewhere to get in to sleep and hide and it will be happy.

I did read on another forum that made the recommendation to find cichlids that can live in the pH levels your water source provides instead of always chemically altering the water at every water change. Keep in mind that I will eventually upping to 150 gal or more, so I'm not really looking for dwarf cichlids. Between the Americans and the Africans, which provide more personalities and less likely to becoming boring down the road?

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I did read on another forum that made the recommendation to find cichlids that can live in the pH levels your water source provides instead of always chemically altering the water at every water change. Keep in mind that I will eventually upping to 150 gal or more, so I'm not really looking for dwarf cichlids. Between the Americans and the Africans, which provide more personalities and less likely to becoming boring down the road?

If you want to eventually upgrade, just go with the upgrade from the start. Don't turn a $250 tank into a $750 tank when all you want to start with is the $500 tank. With an empty smaller tank you stare at it and think 'what could I put in here?' So you fill it with more fish. It truly becomes a disease. Since you have a final size in mind already, I highly suggest that you start out with the final size you want. If it's a money issue causing you to select an intermediate size, continue to save up. If it's a lack of space issue, a 150g standard only has a slightly bigger footprint than a 55g. It is worth the time, and gives you time to plan.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    If you want to eventually upgrade, just go with the upgrade from the start. Don't turn a $250 tank into a $750 tank when all you want to start with is the $500 tank. With an empty smaller tank you stare at it and think 'what could I put in here?' So you fill it with more fish. It truly becomes a disease. Since you have a final size in mind already, I highly suggest that you start out with the final size you want. If it's a money issue causing you to select an intermediate size, continue to save up. If it's a lack of space issue, a 150g standard only has a slightly bigger footprint than a 55g. It is worth the time, and gives you time to plan.

The 55 gal tank is free...I haven't decided if I'm going to build my big tank or buy one, most tank sellers sells the big tanks for really big premiums.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    And by:

"Africans will thrive in our liquid rock in indiana..."

...you mean our hard water?
    Yes, we have very hard water in indiana. If you have a water softner you can easily keep South Americans, as long as they aren't wild caught they won't be so sensitive to hard water, I've had and angelfish for 2-3 years that does fine in our hard water, but if they are wild caught they are very sensitive to the water.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Yes, we have very hard water in indiana. If you have a water softner you can easily keep South Americans, as long as they aren't wild caught they won't be so sensitive to hard water, I've had and angelfish for 2-3 years that does fine in our hard water, but if they are wild caught they are very sensitive to the water.

Second on RO/DI and heavy de-chlorination.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    PetsMart has a TopFin 150g with stand for right around $650.
    (In before the TopFin bashers.)

Interesting, I'll have to check into it...I was thinking a little more along the lines of a 150-200 gal breeder, so my bottom feeder have room to roam.

Ok...african cichlids it is then. Now just to narrow down that species and from what lake...

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Hell, for another $350 you can buy a fully equipped salt tank... And the stand will be 100% better than any tank manufacturer's stand:p

Says the man who has no use for his current tank and is practically giving the thing away to get rid of it.
    Caleb, I don't want to sound like a used-car salesman, but Frosty does have quite the deal going on, if you wanted to run it salty.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    dsc026_f2929c477f.jpg

I wouldn't mind some of these along with RTBS....

I'll drag this back up again, I think that is a pretty fish.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Says the man who has no use for his current tank and is practically giving the thing away to get rid of it.
    Caleb, I don't want to sound like a used-car salesman, but Frosty does have quite the deal going on, if you wanted to run it salty.

I haven't gotten to saltwater level of experience yet, I'd wait till I have my own house first. I'd probably keep the tank, hood, and stand and probably sell everything off...or keep it. Idk

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I was always told not to use ro/di for fresh since it takes everything out of the water, I was told the minerals are needed in the water, but +1 on heavy dechlorination.

I don't want anything in tap water in my tank. Not cations, not salts, not metals, not chloramine, nothing. I dose nothing. Not Ca, not Mg, nothing. So long as ammonia/nitrites/nitrates are in check - and they always are - I don't worry. I provide excellent feed, but I don't dose anything for freshwater. Salt is a different story, but I dismantled my salt after the lionfish went berserk and went after a couple of my benthic sharks and wound up costing me four figures worth of livestock went tank parameters spiralled into oblivion when they died while I was on vacation. Ever since then I've had a really sore spot in my throat and won't go back to saltwater.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Oh Roland, I'll let you buy it for $2000 if you really want to:laugh: I could be used for Africans with some modifications..

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom