• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    My brother was killed by a distracted thug on U.S. 52 about 7 years ago. 750 Kaw. My brand new less than 600 miles V twin State-line has been parked in the garage since that day.

Motorcycle and safe are not synonymous in my opinion. YMMV.
    I rode several years ago. One day I was supposed to be riding with a buddy from Munster. Something came up and I couldn't make it. He rode that day and got clobbered at the intersection of Ridge Road and Calumet Avenue. Not his fault. Spent 5 months in the hospital. The way people drive vehicles anymore. No more motorcycle riding for me. Sorry about your brother.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My brother was killed by a distracted thug on U.S. 52 about 7 years ago. 750 Kaw. My brand new less than 600 miles V twin State-line has been parked in the garage since that day.

Motorcycle and safe are not synonymous in my opinion. YMMV.

That sucks, very sorry to hear it. I've not lost anyone close to me on a bike, just seeing strangers my age with crippling injuries, brain damage, or dead was enough for me. Can't imagine how much harder it would hit with a sibling.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    That sucks, very sorry to hear it. I've not lost anyone close to me on a bike, just seeing strangers my age with crippling injuries, brain damage, or dead was enough for me. Can't imagine how much harder it would hit with a sibling.
    Yep, guy left the wreck but came back a while later. He was given a ticket for running a stop sign. He crossed two lanes of N bound traffic to hit my brother. The witnesses that saw the wreck, there statements were not included in the report. My brother was pronounced at the scene. The guy that caused the accident was not tested for illegal substances. His phone was not investigated for use. My lawyer said it was the worst police report he’d ever read.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yep, guy left the wreck but came back a while later. He was given a ticket for running a stop sign. He crossed two lanes of N bound traffic to hit my brother. The witnesses that saw the wreck, there statements were not included in the report. My brother was pronounced at the scene. The guy that caused the accident was not tested for illegal substances. His phone was not investigated for use. My lawyer said it was the worst police report he’d ever read.

That sucks even more. Any crash causing death or SBI is automatic testing for by law, as you're probably aware. Actually can't investigate the phone without PC or consent. We're not allowed to seize it or search it otherwise, regardless of fatality.

Again, very sorry to hear that.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    That sucks even more. Any crash causing death or SBI is automatic testing for by law, as you're probably aware. Actually can't investigate the phone without PC or consent. We're not allowed to seize it or search it otherwise, regardless of fatality.

Again, very sorry to hear that.
    Ya, knew that was the law. So my lawyer and I had a meeting with the Prosecutor the actual pros. atty. not a deputy pros. He informed us that “he would be talking to them about that”. Guy paid a fine for running a stop sign, brother left 3 daughters and a grand child. If the deputies wanted to push this they could have gotten a warrant, but another dead guy on a bike wasn’t worth their time.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Stay off the interstates! Used to have a Goldwing. Best times on the back roads. You get to see this wonderful country. Drove I94 between I65 and Illinois state line during rush hour-once. Never again. But as Bon Scott once sang, I’ve got big balls! I did after that experience. Did get rid of it and had a MGB convertible for many years after that. Agree with others, get a convertible. You can put the top up!

PSOD

Probably on the toilet
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    Owen/Clay county
    I’ve never owned a motorcycle. I’ve owned dirt bikes mini bikes and all sorts of other stuff. Riding on the roads makes me nervous with phones. How do you ride the safest?
    Head on a swivel. Always. 9/10 it’s not you, it’s someone else. Be abundantly aware and you will be just fine. Also avoid doing stupid stuff, ie. wheelies, racing, super hard cornering. Also be cognizant of the road conditions. A little sand in a corner can put you on the asphalt. Generally I advise my friends to ride very timidity with their new to them bike for at least the first 6 months to learn and understand fully the limitations of the bike. No two bikes ride the same. After that period, you can ride more confidently but still heed the advice above. Finally, dont skimp on protective gear. A good jacket and pair of riding pants are worth their weight in gold. Iv seen riders go down bad and walk away because of top tier protective gear. I really like agm helmets. I blew a tire on a track day and went down hard, nearly shaved the visor clean off my helmet, but that helmet did its job and I’m typing this out coherently because of it.

Stay safe out there brother!

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I’ve never owned a motorcycle. I’ve owned dirt bikes mini bikes and all sorts of other stuff. Riding on the roads makes me nervous with phones. How do you ride the safest?
    How do you ride the safest?
    By not riding. Broken necks hurt for a looooong time....if you're lucky.

Ask me how I know.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    We rode yesterday to Hoagies and Hops on Boulevard by Butler. People drive like a$$e$ in Indy.
    I will avoid turning left going to a back road if I'm on 9 or 20 up here. People here will pass you on the right and i have almost lost my right mirror way too many times. I also avoid fresh cut grass that someone just blew into the road (its just like riding on ice). And they usually get the bird while i am in the other other lane possible facing on coming traffic.

Reactions: Leo

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Stay off the interstates! Used to have a Goldwing. Best times on the back roads. You get to see this wonderful country. Drove I94 between I65 and Illinois state line during rush hour-once. Never again. But as Bon Scott once sang, I’ve got big balls! I did after that experience. Did get rid of it and had a MGB convertible for many years after that. Agree with others, get a convertible. You can put the top up!
    I feel completely different about riding the highways, I'm a big believer that one has much less interactions with other motorists while on the highway versus the state or county roads with driveways and intersections every 1/2 to 1 mile all the way to your destination.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Get a good shoulder holster to carry a firearm to shoot back, when you about get ran over. People in cars are idiots to MC riders. People in trucks only want to kill you.
    Sir, I have given a lot of thought about carrying while riding. Here are my Ideas. I have "dismounted" my cycles (crashed) a few times, once needing hospitalization. I thought through where on my body the imprint of a 1911 would be acceptable. The last accident I broke ribs on both sides. A 1911 would have hurt really badly. I have generally ridden sport or sport touring bikes. I ended up carrying in the top pouch of a tank bag. Still accessible, but will stay with the bike while I am grinding pavement.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    When I lived in a small remote town, that had good weather pretty much year around, I commuted to work on a small motorcycle. It saved on having to buy a second car. I wore a helmet, leather gloves and red windbreaker. My headlight was always on. People have a hard time seeing a motorcycle from their cars, especially in their blind spots. Some drivers will not really "see" you when you are the only vehicle on the road and pull out right in front of you. It happened to me. These days distracted driving is the worst fear from car/ truck drivers. Very recently in Louisville, there were two unrelated fatal motorcycle accidents. High speed and loss of control were the main factors. Oh yeah, don't get baited into a road rage incident. Down here, Hwy 60 has large groups of motorcyclists on nice weekends. One day, when a buddy and I were coming home, a couple of motorcyclists (just weekend riders) came up fast and tailgated my crew cab F-150 by only a coupe of feet. I was doing the speed limit on cruise control, but it didn't please them. When it was clear enough, they passed and cut in front of me, only missing my truck by inches! I can't imagine what would have happened if they had misjudged. I now have cameras in my truck. Most folks I know, who rode motorcycles for any length of time got significant injuries.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I always wanted a bike - had it picked out too. R6 or a CBR600.

Then, my older brother wrecked his, should have died. Something flew off a semi on 465, just E of Mann Rd. Knocked him out and it was him vs the pavement until he scraped to a stop. After a lengthy ICU stay, plenty of road rash, and some implanted metal bits, he survived.

So, no bike for me. One day I'll get a convertible. Until then, all 4 windows down, rear window open, along with the pano roof in my pickup opened up really let's the breeze in on a nice day...

Like others, I've heard great things about the ABATE or similar courses. I've almost taken one a few times, but figured once I get the endorsement on my license it's a slippery slope to buying a bike...

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The best way to not die in a motorcycle accident is the same as the best way to not die in a skydiving accident.

Long ago, when I was young, dumb and full of fun, I used to ride a Suzuki GS850. That was before I had a family. Even back then, I figured the risks weren't worth the reward with a family to take care of. And if you think drivers were idiots 30 years ago, holy ****, they pay zero attention to their driving now. Especially when they are fiddling with the stupid i-Pad glued to their dash to change the fan speed or radio station. No way I'd get on a motorcycle on public roads today.

You get a lot more wind in your hair in a Mustang GT convertible than on any bike with a helmet on. And if you're not wearing a helmet, well...good luck. Say what you want about "cagers," but I'll likely survive an encounter with a turtle or patch of wet leaves on the road.

:twocents:

Top Bottom