Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    engraving007.jpg
    [/quote]

Figure out a price for this, and let us know!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    No you can't. If the gun is to be at your place of refinishing/smithing overnight you need an FFL.

right now im modifing my own guns. if there is enough interest i may become a site advertiser and take it to the next step. if somone can show me a link saying i need a ffl to do this to my guns ill stop and complain some more about goverment overstepping its bounds. until then im going to keep doing what im doing and posting pics.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    right now im modifing my own guns. if there is enough interest i may become a site advertiser and take it to the next step. if somone can show me a link saying i need a ffl to do this to my guns ill stop and complain some more about goverment overstepping its bounds. until then im going to keep doing what im doing and posting pics.

I was saying if you do it for other people, you will need an FFL if you are to receive and keep overnight the serialized portion of someone elses gun. I meant other people's guns, not your own.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    someone else was doing this same thing at the 1500. I don't think you need the FFL for something like that. Can anyone else weigh in? Nate seems to have a valid point.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    someone else was doing this same thing at the 1500. I don't think you need the FFL for something like that. Can anyone else weigh in? Nate seems to have a valid point.

class 3 sales is a advertiser here and they were doing it at the 1500. i again im doing it to my guns in my home. i cant see how this would be any diffrent than if i decided to bed my rifle. if i was doing this as a business i could see the ffl argument. also if i did it for somone and kept a serial numbered part overnight i could see it. but if jon doe from down the street wanted it done and came over and watched me do it i dont think a ffl would be required. or if somone mailed me a non serial numbered part i would think i would be fine without a ffl. right now im looking at doing some mags and selling them to ? at the 1500 mabye

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    No you can't. If the gun is to be at your place of refinishing/smithing overnight you need an FFL.

its not a matter of being overnight... a serial numbered part has to be put on your FFL books if kept overnight or is in your place when the owner is not present....
    that said there is nothing differant between this and painting, if you modify a serial numbered part FOR PROFIT then you need an FFL.... otherwise no FFL is needed. the laser engraving is THINNER than paint so if you are arguing that he needs an FFL then you should be arguing that in all of the duracoat threads as well...

no one step further.... i AM an FFL.... and a firearms manufacturing FFL at that, so if anybody wants some engraving done to a serial numbered part (ie ar reciever) then you can drop it off to me, ill put it on MY books and take it to vettes place and be present when he engraves....

:rockwoot:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    its not a matter of being overnight... a serial numbered part has to be put on your FFL books if kept overnight or is in your place when the owner is not present....
    that said there is nothing differant between this and painting, if you modify a serial numbered part FOR PROFIT then you need an FFL.... otherwise no FFL is needed. the laser engraving is THINNER than paint so if you are arguing that he needs an FFL then you should be arguing that in all of the duracoat threads as well...

no one step further.... i AM an FFL.... and a firearms manufacturing FFL at that, so if anybody wants some engraving done to a serial numbered part (ie ar reciever) then you can drop it off to me, ill put it on MY books and take it to vettes place and be present when he engraves....

:rockwoot:

I was under the impression that it had to be overnight? So when people take their AR lowers to jewelry places or engraving kiosks that place has to have an FFL? I was always under the impression that it was overnight, I think it was in the old BATF FAQs, but could be wrong. Thanks for the info!:ingo:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I was under the impression that it had to be overnight? So when people take their AR lowers to jewelry places or engraving kiosks that place has to have an FFL? I was always under the impression that it was overnight,

If the owner LEAVES the firearm or serialized part alone with the worker an FFL is needed no matter how long or whether the sun is up or set.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I was under the impression that it had to be overnight? So when people take their AR lowers to jewelry places or engraving kiosks that place has to have an FFL? I was always under the impression that it was overnight, I think it was in the old BATF FAQs, but could be wrong. Thanks for the info!:ingo:

i would defintally want to be a advertiser before doing anything like that. but there does seem to be enough interest to try it out for a few months. even as a advertiser i believe i would need permission from fenway for copyright reasons. it will probably be awhile before i am interested in doing it for somone else. i have only done it one time and would like to get more pratice before somone trusts me with there gun. i wont do any work till im sure i can do it right. thanks for the vote of confidence ingo

Top Bottom