• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I would try out a lot of guns first. When I first looked, I looked at XD's, Glocks, Rugers, and S&W M&P. I went with the one that fit my hand the best, and I liked the best.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    I would try out a lot of guns first. When I first looked, I looked at XD's, Glocks, Rugers, and S&W M&P. I went with the one that fit my hand the best, and I liked the best.

Agree 100%, find out what fits you the best; while I have 2 XDm's (9 & 45, and have carried them both), I also like the M&P (daughter has the 9c; good BUG). But my new carry gun is the SW1911Sc (see jgreiner's avatar), just need to get a holster made and test with defensive rounds. -- Greg/Grizhicks

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    The XDs are nice. I have a Ruger SR9. It's a great gun and a couple hundred less.

Just put an SR9 on layaway 2 days ago. Shot a friends SR40 and the kick was a little too much for me, also want the wife to be comfortable with it. Felt amazing in my hand and the price was good. Friend says he has fed over 2000 rounds through his with zero failures. Can't wait to pick it up.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    i love my XDM 9mm, I got it when they first came out i believe i paid 629.99 for the bitone. It has one of the best triggers w/ the least amount of travel/reset then any semiauto ive ever shot out of the box

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    If you are new to guns then go to a local range where you can rent the options that you have narrowed down. It's worth the price if you are unsure of what to get. Also, ask friends around you who may possibly let you shoot their choices. PICK WHAT FITS AND FEELS RIGHT TO YOU.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Good advice to rent some different guns, try the 9mm, 40S&W and 45acp. They all quite different, the 9mm and 45 are in most opinions the easiest to shoot well.

My best way is hit the LGS's will have snap caps to pull the trigger on theirs, real important as to part of the feel for them. At the Gun shows grab everything that looks good to ya and remember what felt the best and what it cost. Then ask the INGO members what a good price is for what.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Almost forgot it looks like your a little new to gun world, if not no prob, but write, call, e-mail or all your goverment reps to let them know were voters also.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I have an SR9c. Love it! Like some have said, at the very least, try to hold a bunch of pistols in your hand. It's amazing how similar guns can look, but how different they feel.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I enjoy my XD .40 with a 4 in barrel. It is however, once loaded a bit heavy and bulky. Lots of good holsters are availabe so concealing is not an issue. What I have recently learned is the ability to switch out barrels say a .40 to a 9mm conversion. The Glock wins hands down. Lots of mags, barrels and the availability. A sig is another choice. A Glock conversion 40 to 9 may run about $110 vs. $165 for an XD and not to mention difficult to find. Pay a little more up front, and find oue you can also carry.

Soupcan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I have thoroughly enjoyed my XD 40. The full size is definitely big for CC but it has shot great without any problems. The case and gear you get with the Springfield is nice too.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I don't have an M but have two regular XD's and am a huge XD nut...

I have not decided if I will ever own one...

I like interchangeability... If I end up with another XD 9, the 9 mags I have now will work in it, if I get an M, only M mags will work for it....

If the price it right one day then maybe...

Firefighter56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    East Central Indiana
    I agree with everyone above. Hold and shoot every gun you can and decide what feels the best. My favorite gun right now is my XD.40SC. Its my EDC. As posted above you can swap the barell and mags in a .40 to make it a 9mm but you can't buy a 9mm and make it a .40. Just some food for thought.

Think about the purpose of the gun. Is it for home protection and never carry, or is it for IWB EDC? Those are kind of the two extremes but that will help you determine the size of gun that you want to buy. Small for EDC, but for home protection you may want a larger gun. Then there is every where in between the two extremes.

d30carls

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Cicero, IN
    I love my xdm 40 1 thing to think about is what ammo is on shelves right now 9 & 45 are gone 40 is a little more than 9 but easily found most places

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have the XDM 9 with 4.5 barrel, but for me it is to long for me to carry. It is a great shooting pistol, and very accurate. I would get a 3.8 to carry.

Dave

IndyS3

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Fishers
    I really like shooting my XDm 9mm but the cleaning of the gun has me perplexed. Essentially you can only remove the slide, buffer and spring, and that's about it. I'm so used to my other guns that I can break down entirely to clean every part...

Top Bottom