• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mycroft

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis area
    Try as many as you can before you buy. I bought a Glock 30 (45 acp) and absolutely hated it. Managed to trade it even for an XD 9sc and never regretted it. Then I bought a new XDm40 and have shot it in IDPA for a couple of years. Great gun.
    But it might not be for you. Find a range where you can rent a few to try, or better yet, find someone that will let you try theirs.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I like the XDM. I got a compact in 9mm for my first carry gun. In hindsight I only bought it almost solely on how much more ammo compared to the Glock 19. I am getting a Glock 19 eventually because of easy to find parts and holsters

Big Ram

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Xdm not worth the extra $100. Great gun I had one but you might just want to save that extra hundred for ammo and go with an xd 40. I now have an xd 45 tactical that I love and just traded my xdm 45 compact for a g22c. So as you can see it wasn't the love of my life.

EOC

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    The Garage
    Xdm not worth the extra $100. Great gun I had one but you might just want to save that extra hundred for ammo and go with an xd 40. I now have an xd 45 tactical that I love and just traded my xdm 45 compact for a g22c. So as you can see it wasn't the love of my life.

Either way both are superb guns but if you want a better barrel, interchangable backstraps for different hand sizes more aggressive grip and other goodies the extra 100 bucks is worth the price.. I EDC 4.5 XDm 40 with an IWB holster.. It works great for me

jason.pike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Martinsville
    Just picked up the XDM .40 and love the feel and fire of it. However, my Kahr CW9 is a million times beter for CC. Single stack, lightweight, easy to clean. I might add that these are the first 2 handguns I have owned. Added a hogue grip to the Kahr, turned it into a different gun. I fell into a good deal on the Kahr, so I went with it and am very happy with it.

VoteRedTeam

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Hey guys, thanks for all the tips. I always like hearing from people who know more than me. I was able to try out a friend's Sig, a Glock .40 cal, Beretta, and a Springfield XD. I liked the feel of the XD and ended up buying an XDM. got it a few days ago and hoping to finally find some 9mm ammo tomorrow morning. Thanks again!

Mister.Meow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Scottsburg
    I think you'll be happy with your purchase. You can't go wrong with an XD or XDM. I like the size of the grip on the XDM compared to the glock, better. I found the glock's to be too fat for my hand and the XD's just fit better. Enjoy!!

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Southwest of Indy
    I too am looking to pick up an XDM in 9mm, .40, or .45
    From what I can tell, they must be extremely well liked because I can never seem to find one that has already been sold. I've never owned a Springfield, but think that could change in the very near future.

VoteRedTeam

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    XDM Results

Hey guys, just a follow up to my original post. I took my XDM out to the range weekend before last and am REALLY happy with it. I still have a lot of practicing to do but was able to put together the target below with 3-4 magazines at 7-8 yds. Already ordered 5 extra magazines from Springfield and been trying to stock up on ammo whenever it's available. See ya at the range!
    10cq0xs.jpg

Last edited:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I'm new to the gun community and trying to decide what my first purchase will be. Wavered between .40 and 9mm but leaning towards 9mm for more affordable trips to the range. I really like the Springfield XDM but don't like the look of the 3.8 and thinking the 5.25 might be too big so thinking 4.5. I'm not looking forward to a $600 price tag, but think I'm stuck with it due to my bad timing in gun interest. Any tips from experienced folks on first-time gun purchases? Thanks.

9mm ammo RIGHT NOW is VERY hard to find, while .40 is fairly plentiful. Just one more thing to consider.

Top Bottom