First time Carrying! Warning: Semi-long and extremely boring read!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rock99and9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    East Central Indiana
    mbills2223, I did this almost exact same thing. Without the Applebee's part. During my second trip to Wally World I ran into a friend I hadn't talked to in awhile. We stood in the main isle talking for quite awhile. (As most people do there..) I was wearing a baseball jersey that covered my XDs but still felt I was printing the whole time. I never once tugged at the jersey or touched the gun. He never noticed of course.

Later on I was reaching up above my head to pull down my size article of clothing. (You know on the shelf marked "Please ask for assistance for items on this shelf" and the employee is always 6-10 inches shorter than you...) and wondered if I was showing anything. And looked around... Nobody seemed to care if they saw anything.

I have been carrying at home since I bought my guns. Being in public and in my car is a new experience for me. So loved reading your "Not Boring" story. Thanks!

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Well, after a long 12 week wait, I finally received my LTCH on Friday. On Saturday, I threw my XD in my temporary holster (waiting on a Crossbreed) and decided to run a few errands and eat dinner with my significant other. I was carrying IWB in jeans, a tshirt and a jacket. All I could think as we drove to Wally World was "This thing is so darn obvious, everyone is gonna see me print."

Get to Wally World, walk by the greeter...nothing.

"Hmmm, well, she's probably half blind anyway, I can see her cataracts from here."

Contine through the aisles, walking by several people...nothing.

"Well, it is Walmart on a Saturday night, all these people are probably drunk or just zombiefied."

Walk by a store manager who seems completely lucid...nothing besides a polite hello.

"Hmmm...he must be an INGOer."

Walk out of the store after making our purchases, again encountering the cataract infested greeter. Nothing but a good night from her. As we are walking to the car, I say, "Wow, that felt really weird."

Her reply, "What?"

"Carrying my gun in Walmart for the first time."

"You carried your gun in there? I didn't think that was allowed."

:facepalm: "I didn't see a sign."

*Laughter*

At this point I'm feeling a little more comfortable, as my girlfriend and seemingly every Walmart dweller had completely missed the obvious print of my XD.

Now for the real fun, of to Applebees in Broad Ripple.

We walk in, the place is packed, great, more people to freak out at the sight of a gun. The hostess comes to seat us, nothing, just a leisurely walk to our booth. I'm sitting with my right side facing most of the restaurant, great, now the whole damn place will see it. We order our food and sit around enjoying each others company and talking about the Boston bombers and their capture. I survey the restaurant looking for fingers pointing and dropped jaws...nothing. Our food comes, and after our waitress leaves, I look down and see that my gun is actually showing.

"Oh no," I thought, "how long had this been showing? I wonder if the police are on their way."

I causally covered it back up, no police ever showed up. We finished off our meal, paid, and headed to the car to head home. Removed the XD and went off to bed.

Today, my girlfriend and I decided to enjoy a nice walk together. Holstered up, threw on a sweatshirt and a jacket as it was a bit chilly. As we are about to leave, I check my reflection to see how badly I'm printing.

My girlfriend sees this and says, "Don't worry, the sweatshirt looks fine."

:facepalm: "I was just checking to see if I was printing."

"Oh, you have your gun?"

"Yes..."

We proceed on our 2 mile walk and see several nice folks without incident, and this time I was even carrying OWB (living dangerously).

I got home and thought about how much more comfortable and safe I feel when I'm armed. I truly don't want to have to go anywhere without it, though being a college student doesn't give me much choice in that regard. I've been carrying without a round chambered just to try and get used to having the big hunk of metal and plastic on my hip. Saturday night at Walmart I would have been uncomfortable with a round chambered. On our walk this evening, I felt uncomfortable NOT having a round chambered. One thing I DO know is that now having the ability to protect myself, the love of my life, and my two fantastic dogs makes me feel MUCH, MUCH better when I'm out and about. In less than two days I've went from being hesitant and scared with a gun to being uncomfortable without it.

CARRY ON!

There is no real moral or point to this story, but I thought some of you seasoned vets might enjoy it, and I thought others new to carrying may be able to relate, or perhaps those thinking about carrying may see that it isn't so scary after all.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading!

:patriot:
    :ingo:

Most people, especially ones in Wally land, wouldn't notice you if your forehead was in flames.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Wait, I/we didn't know I/we started posting on craigslist?

I/we was/were trying to surprise you/me/us.

(You know on the shelf marked "Please ask for assistance for items on this shelf" and the employee is always 6-10 inches shorter than you...)

:rofl:

I have been carrying at home since I bought my guns. Being in public and in my car is a new experience for me. So loved reading your "Not Boring" story. Thanks!

Thanks for the positive words. I appreciate it :yesway:

Most people, especially ones in Wally land, wouldn't notice you if your forehead was in flames.

:lmfao: True.

Applebee's though, that is the pinnacle of attentiveness!

Markedup

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    OK 2233

Enough of this ho hum, very human, stuff (except the cute blond).
    Please tell us about your " two fantastic dogs ".
    We are profiling you.

Thanks

Mark

JFC

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    OK 2233

We are profiling you.

Thanks

Mark

JFC

We have a lack of sufficient proof to make this statement valid.

While a blond ponytail surely alludes to the aforementioned, it does not give it 100% validity. She could have 3 teeth and an eye missing like the Governor on Walking Dead for all we know :D

(That's why I asked for face pics upthread.. Don't want anyone bashing her :laugh: )

Nim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2013
    Falls City Area / Clark County
    Idon't belive most people would recognize a "print" if pointed one out. Most will think it is a big cell phone or maybe assume it is a tape measure and you are a carpenter or something.

Eventuall, you will likely not even remember it is there until someone DOES get offended and says something.

Even then, they are more likely to avoid you(run away) because you must be a gun-toting maniac who is about to shoot up the place.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    Bah! I'm as pro-OC as anybody (hell, I admit I carry for attention)...

You could always wear this...

payattentiontome.jpg

:):

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    This is exactly what I read. Now I was a little scared when others started asking for pics. Thought we might see the Really, Really Really deep cover.:laugh: I enjoyed the post OP. I find it interesting when someone that CCs tells someone that OCs they should CC, WWIII breaks out. But if someone tells a CCer to OC then they should do it. If a person makes a choice to OC or CC or to not carry at all, isn't that their choice? Why are people always trying to tell others what to do? It is your right to carry however you want and for what ever reason, it is your business.:twocents: Oh yea... pimple = gun.:laugh:

No.

xdmdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    southport
    I remember when I first started carrying I thought the same things when I was out. Now day I don't even care if it does show. I don't even pay attention to it on my side. If some one does see my firearm it's their problem not mine anyway.

Bung

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Anderson
    I OC every where I go. Not once I have sent someone running and screaming and I've never had cops show up (except for security at Community Hospital) either. Those that say I/we OC for attention obviously haven't OC'ed. Otherwise, they would know it doesn't get you much attention. I've had more people thank me for carrying then I've had scold me for it

I've noticed that everyone is very polite to me and twice I've had shady-looking people seemingly avoid me. CC if you want, OC if you want. I don't have a problem with either. Though I will say this. The public regards firearms the way they do because the only time they see firearms is on the news when some jackass uses them for evil. I believe the only way this is going to change is if we counter the efforts of the media and show the public that the vast majority of gun owners are not out to shoot their kids or go on killing sprees.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    And those of us on the forum wouldn't believe it without pics :D

OK 2233

We are profiling you.

Thanks

Mark

JFC

We have a lack of sufficient proof to make this statement valid.

While a blond ponytail surely alludes to the aforementioned, it does not give it 100% validity. She could have 3 teeth and an eye missing like the Governor on Walking Dead for all we know :D

(That's why I asked for face pics upthread.. Don't want anyone bashing her :laugh: )

Alright, alright...here she is:

kate-upton-gq-us-1.jpg

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Update for those who care (read "no one"):

Within days of posting this thread, I began carrying chambered. I just felt too vulnerable and unprepared not having one in the chamber. I carry everywhere I go, aside from campus. My Crossbreed Supertuck hasn't even begun being made and I'm already looking for a nice OWB retention holster for OC. Suggestions?

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Update for those who care (read "no one"):

Within days of posting this thread, I began carrying chambered. I just felt too vulnerable and unprepared not having one in the chamber. I carry everywhere I go, aside from campus. My Crossbreed Supertuck hasn't even begun being made and I'm already looking for a nice OWB retention holster for OC. Suggestions?

That depends on what XD you carry. I prefer a retention rig. Mine are Israeli Defense and Serpa Blackhawk.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I OC every where I go. Not once I have sent someone running and screaming and I've never had cops show up (except for security at Community Hospital) either. Those that say I/we OC for attention obviously haven't OC'ed. Otherwise, they would know it doesn't get you much attention. I've had more people thank me for carrying then I've had scold me for it

I've noticed that everyone is very polite to me and twice I've had shady-looking people seemingly avoid me. CC if you want, OC if you want. I don't have a problem with either. Though I will say this. The public regards firearms the way they do because the only time they see firearms is on the news when some jackass uses them for evil. I believe the only way this is going to change is if we counter the efforts of the media and show the public that the vast majority of gun owners are not out to shoot their kids or go on killing sprees.

About 4 years ago a guy came into my store OCing. I was ignorant of what the laws were at the time, but I didn't say anything for 2 reasons; he was just going about his business quietly and who wants to screw with the guy who has a gun?

Top Bottom