First time Carrying! Warning: Semi-long and extremely boring read!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Well, after a long 12 week wait, I finally received my LTCH on Friday. On Saturday, I threw my XD in my temporary holster (waiting on a Crossbreed) and decided to run a few errands and eat dinner with my significant other. I was carrying IWB in jeans, a tshirt and a jacket. All I could think as we drove to Wally World was "This thing is so darn obvious, everyone is gonna see me print."

Get to Wally World, walk by the greeter...nothing.

"Hmmm, well, she's probably half blind anyway, I can see her cataracts from here."

Contine through the aisles, walking by several people...nothing.

"Well, it is Walmart on a Saturday night, all these people are probably drunk or just zombiefied."

Walk by a store manager who seems completely lucid...nothing besides a polite hello.

"Hmmm...he must be an INGOer."

Walk out of the store after making our purchases, again encountering the cataract infested greeter. Nothing but a good night from her. As we are walking to the car, I say, "Wow, that felt really weird."

Her reply, "What?"

"Carrying my gun in Walmart for the first time."

"You carried your gun in there? I didn't think that was allowed."

:facepalm: "I didn't see a sign."

*Laughter*

At this point I'm feeling a little more comfortable, as my girlfriend and seemingly every Walmart dweller had completely missed the obvious print of my XD.

Now for the real fun, of to Applebees in Broad Ripple.

We walk in, the place is packed, great, more people to freak out at the sight of a gun. The hostess comes to seat us, nothing, just a leisurely walk to our booth. I'm sitting with my right side facing most of the restaurant, great, now the whole damn place will see it. We order our food and sit around enjoying each others company and talking about the Boston bombers and their capture. I survey the restaurant looking for fingers pointing and dropped jaws...nothing. Our food comes, and after our waitress leaves, I look down and see that my gun is actually showing.

"Oh no," I thought, "how long had this been showing? I wonder if the police are on their way."

I causally covered it back up, no police ever showed up. We finished off our meal, paid, and headed to the car to head home. Removed the XD and went off to bed.

Today, my girlfriend and I decided to enjoy a nice walk together. Holstered up, threw on a sweatshirt and a jacket as it was a bit chilly. As we are about to leave, I check my reflection to see how badly I'm printing.

My girlfriend sees this and says, "Don't worry, the sweatshirt looks fine."

:facepalm: "I was just checking to see if I was printing."

"Oh, you have your gun?"

"Yes..."

We proceed on our 2 mile walk and see several nice folks without incident, and this time I was even carrying OWB (living dangerously).

I got home and thought about how much more comfortable and safe I feel when I'm armed. I truly don't want to have to go anywhere without it, though being a college student doesn't give me much choice in that regard. I've been carrying without a round chambered just to try and get used to having the big hunk of metal and plastic on my hip. Saturday night at Walmart I would have been uncomfortable with a round chambered. On our walk this evening, I felt uncomfortable NOT having a round chambered. One thing I DO know is that now having the ability to protect myself, the love of my life, and my two fantastic dogs makes me feel MUCH, MUCH better when I'm out and about. In less than two days I've went from being hesitant and scared with a gun to being uncomfortable without it.

CARRY ON!

There is no real moral or point to this story, but I thought some of you seasoned vets might enjoy it, and I thought others new to carrying may be able to relate, or perhaps those thinking about carrying may see that it isn't so scary after all.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading!

:patriot:
    :ingo:

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Welcome to the dark side. Now get some training and shoot that thing. :ar15:

I do quite a bit of shooting, but I'm lacking in training. I plan on taking several training courses this summer.

You mean to say the police didn't appear from some shrubbery and harass you? You know you should CC right?

I have to assume they had me in their cross hairs the whole way, just waiting on an opportunity. I need to really, really, REALLY conceal next time. :laugh:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I do quite a bit of shooting, but I'm lacking in training. I plan on taking several training courses this summer.

I have to assume they had me in their cross hairs the whole way, just waiting on an opportunity. I need to really, really, REALLY conceal next time. :laugh:
    LOL... Please do not define, "really, really, REALLY conceal"...

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    LOL... Please do not define, "really, really, REALLY conceal"...

No need to define it, I'll just post up a picture! Gimme a second to properly lube, the gun, and get it concealed properly. I'll warn you, though, it will be concealed so well you may not be able to see it.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    And yet, it makes ya wonder WHY so many of those here on INGO have so many problems with the LEO's or at this restaurant or that store, doesn't it? :scratch:

Maybe because they readily seek out the confrontation? Maybe they actually WANT the unnecessary attention so they have something to complain about? :dunno:

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    And yet, it makes ya wonder WHY so many of those here on INGO have so many problems with the LEO's or at this restaurant or that store, doesn't it? :scratch:

Maybe because they readily seek out the confrontation? Maybe they actually WANT the unnecessary attention so they have something to complain about? :dunno:

It's because they OC. :):

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I OC everywhere and hardly ever get any attention from the public... most not even a glance. People are very inattentive. If they don't notice a Glock 21 in a serpa holster, they aren't going to notice you printing slightly under a sweatshirt or jacket lol! Sure there was that one time that cop got got all over me, but I am still alive, and a little stress is good for you every now and then :D

People will NEVER get used to seeing guns on law abiding folks if people hide them and are too shy or embarrassed to let it be shown. Some people act like carrying a gun in the open is similar to having a big zit on their face!

@Modern Gunner

Looking for confrontation? Could say the same thing about CCers, they want to look like victims so they can confront a robber who thinks they are unarmed.

Last edited:

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I OC everywhere and hardly ever get any attention from the public... most not even a glance. People are very inattentive. If they don't notice a Glock 21 in a serpa holster, they aren't going to notice you printing slightly under a sweatshirt or jacket lol! Sure there was that one time that cop got got all over me, but I am still alive, and a little stress is good for you every now and then :D

People will NEVER get used to seeing guns on law abiding folks if people hide them and are too shy or embarrassed to let it be shown. Some people act like carrying a gun in the open is similar to having a big zit on their face!

After the last two days carrying concealed, I'm already wanting to take the plunge into the OC world.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    After the last two days carrying concealed, I'm already wanting to take the plunge into the OC world.

Go for it! :yesway:

I actually remember one thing, I said hardly anybody noticed, well one of those "hardly" category of people are below.

The only thing that has gotten a little on my nerves is when I am in a crowded Walmart and go down an aisle. I usually step to the side and let the other person pass, say excuse me, and they say excuse me and go on by. Now almost every time they stop, look down, and say "Sorry" and wait for me to make a move.

It's just a small thing, I know, but It bothers me for some reason.

ETA: Except for the elderly, I can barely get out of their way in time before they run me over!

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    You were concealed?

Lame.

Jerk. :'(

:):

I actually remember one thing, I said hardly anybody noticed, well one of those "hardly" category of people are below.

The only thing that has gotten a little on my nerves is when I am in a crowded Walmart and go down an aisle. I usually step to the side and let the other person pass, say excuse me, and they say excuse me and go on by. Now almost every time they stop, look down, and say "Sorry" and wait for me to make a move.

ETA: Except for the elderly, I can barely get out of their way in time before they run me over!

:laugh:

Do you growl at them and start foaming at the mouth? Elderly people are always terrifying. It's a combination of cataracts/glaucoma, urgency (due to lack of time remaining), and anger at the young generation that is inevitably ruining the world. :):

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Oh yea, and the other day I was at Dollar General, and someone said " Oh look at him, he's walking around with his gun on" and this man was loud about it, and half way across the store down the aisle. I didn't even flinch or look back when he said it.

I was thinking oooooh greeeattt one of those people.

But then I thought to myself " I know that voice " and turn around and it's my stepfather!

Once you start OCing, after the first couple days, it wont even bother you. After the first day you will realize how oblivious people are, and after the second day you will realize that even those that notice, hardly care, and if they do, they don't say anything.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Well, after a long 12 week wait, I finally received my LTCH on Friday. On Saturday, I threw my XD in my temporary holster (waiting on a Crossbreed) and decided to run a few errands and eat dinner with my significant other. I was carrying IWB in jeans, a tshirt and a jacket.

That's about as far as I got. "Oh, hes CCing..."

Once you make the OC plunge, you'll realize that the average person does not notice ANYTHING going on around them.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Oh yea, and the other day I was at Dollar General, and someone said " Oh look at him, he's walking around with his gun on" and this man was loud about it, and half way across the store down the aisle. I didn't even flinch or look back when he said it.

I was thinking oooooh greeeattt one of those people.

But then I thought to myself " I know that voice " and turn around and it's my stepfather!

Once you start OCing, after the first couple days, it wont even bother you. After the first day you will realize how oblivious people are, and after the second day you will realize that even those that notice, hardly care, and if they do, they don't say anything.

:yesway:

That's about as far as I got. "Oh, hes CCing..."

Once you make the OC plunge, you'll realize that the average person does not notice ANYTHING going on around them.

Hell, even CC'ing it was pretty obvious that people were completely oblivious. Working part time in retail, I see people CC'ing ALL the time, and they are rarely printing as bad as I was last night. It's not that I expect people to be examining every inch of my person, but I was a little surprised that no one seemed to even throw a glance.

RspecZX6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Shelbyville, IN

Lol I`ve been in that situation. Got to love when they do a double take as well.

I usually CC, but once in a blue moon I will OC.

Top Bottom