• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    Looking for some suggestions on what machine guns you would look at.

Looking to stay in the 10,000 or less range.

What would you buy in that price range?

Even better would be which Class 3 delear in IN has one?

I know you can transfer but would prefer to not buy online and all that jazz. Since its my first NFA I would prefer something I can see before making the $$$ commitment.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I don't know who has anything in stock right now... But Wanamaker Guns can deal in fully auto, if I remember correctly.

There's another shop out west of Indy, Guns & Ordinance (Welcome to Guns and Ordnance) that's also a dealer of very expensive toys.

You should be able to walk into a very nice Ruger AAC556 for that price.

Several "smaller" weapons, too.

Good luck!!!!

-J-

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    If you're willing to spend 10K go with an M16. It's very modular and you won't regret the purchase.

Besides price, check the condition of the receiver, as well as the conversion work. I'd recommend googling manufactures and just reading up about it online. With some conversions you run the risk of problems such as difficulty getting uppers to fit on some olympic arms conversion and the pin hold issue with later colts. Factory M16 are more expensive but you generally don't have these problems. It all comes down to whether you want a shooter, a collector piece, how much you're willing to spend and what you can find at the right price.

You probably can find a better deal online than locally. As shooter521 posted sturmgewehr and subguns are the 2 best places to look but occasionally you see some good/decent deals on gunbroker too. Prices on latter are usually inflated but occasionally you get lucky. Now there is nothing like following the market for a few weeks/months and getting a feel for the prices. But good deals generally don't last long, so if you come across the right MG at a good price be prepared to act quickly.

Also, I like Machine Gun Price Guide to get general pricing ideas. But from personal experience the price ranges listed there are usually inflated or at least in today's market and you can easily do better than their average.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    I didn't realize that a M-16 could be had for so "little"!

I have not yet seen any in the 8K range advertised but in the 10K range you see them regularly. I think I even saw one today advertised for around 9K on sturm. I heart of a nice conversion being bought in the 8K range though. So the price is reasonable, if you look hard enough and are patient.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I have not yet seen any in the 8K range advertised but in the 10K range you see them regularly. I think I even saw one today advertised for around 9K on sturm. I heart of a nice conversion being bought in the 8K range though.

Yes, the 8K range lower was a conversion (as will be most "M-16s" offered for sale; nothing wrong with that if it is to be a shooter); I seriously doubt you'd find a factory MG for that, though just like you, I have seen them in the 9K range recently.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    The M-16 was my first thought. Now to find a decent one, and at a decent price doesn't hurt.

I'll try reading up more on them so I can find one I can get parts for or Mod if needed.

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    M16 is an excellent option. I've been seeing conversions in the 9K range pretty regularly. If you have cash in hand, I'd try offering 8-8.5K or so. A lot of the guys selling don't have that in them, so they are happy to make a quick sale and take a little hit on the profit. Another great option is an Uzi, I've been seeing them regularly for 6-6.5K. They are pretty tough guns and have lots of parts/mags available cheap. AC556 is another good option, but if you have 10K to spend I'd lean more towards an M16 if I was going rifle caliber MG.:twocents:

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    The last two Indy 1500 an older gentleman that has been carrying around a Sendera M16 that he was selling for $9k. It was in great condition and had an 11.5" modern type upper with a red dot if I remember correctly.

I bet cash money could get it for $7.5k to $8k.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    M16 is an excellent option. I've been seeing conversions in the 9K range pretty regularly. If you have cash in hand, I'd try offering 8-8.5K or so. A lot of the guys selling don't have that in them, so they are happy to make a quick sale and take a little hit on the profit. Another great option is an Uzi, I've been seeing them regularly for 6-6.5K. They are pretty tough guns and have lots of parts/mags available cheap. AC556 is another good option, but if you have 10K to spend I'd lean more towards an M16 if I was going rifle caliber MG.:twocents:

In the 10K range: M16

In the 6-6.5 range: Uzi

I didn't even think about the Uzi earlier but a lot of RR guns are selling for 'low' prices currently. Just do your research on Uzi conversions before buying one as they can vary substantially. Check uzitalk for more info on Uzi conversions.

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I didn't even think about the Uzi earlier but a lot of RR guns are selling for 'low' prices currently. Just do your research on Uzi conversions before buying one as they can vary substantially. Check uzitalk for more info on Uzi conversions.

Definitly want to do your homework on these. There are factory RR (Vector), Conversions (IMI), regestered bolt guns and regestered sear guns. I would rank them in the same order for desirerability(?). Most factory Vector guns are excellent. Conversions done by a reputable smith are a close second, make sure they have the blocking bar removed so you can use standard bolts. Registered bolts next, they can be switched from gun to gun, but it is still just a bolt. Then registered sear guns last, there are few of these out there and I believe all of the legit ones have the sear married to the gun. Uzitalk.com is a great site, lots of knowledgable folks over there.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    That's because it's an average (i.e. a mean). Some will sell higher. Some will sell lower.

Well I am skeptical where they get the numbers for the higher ones. Ok I get that they miss the lower ones often from private parties. Only explanation I have is that A LOT of people just go to a dealer and buy them at significantly more than their value. I realize certain collector pieces drive up the price but still. I have been following the mg market closely for about 1.5 yrs now and it's just my experience that their average price is much higher than what would normally sell.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Another factor to consider is what the gun is going to eat. Reloaded cast lead 9mms are less expensive than reloaded 5.56. FA guns eat a lot of ammo.:)

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Here are the questions I ask people looking for a Class 3 item.

What do you want to do with it?

Do you want to shoot it or is it an investment? If it is an investment I look for more scarce items and not tube guns. If you are going to shoot it matters less

How much do you want to spend? Under 10 will get you some very nice items. If you are like me and like Belt fed guns they get to be more.

Do you reload? If so what calibers do you have already do you want to reload for this gun?

If you are going to shoot it where are you going to shoot it (IE can you shoot rifles?) How much does ammo cost? Is that Ammo available? Can you get primers and bullets and casings for that ammo to reload?

Having said that if you decide what you want or have more questions please call or stop in the shop. I have some class 3 items in stock and can find stuff for you as well.

I have to agree with shooter521 if you like the AR/m16 platform that is they way to go at your price range. Just make sure you look the gun over well you don't want a gun with the hammer pin hole worn out.

Last edited:

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Give Jim Fuller a call. :yesway:
    His company, Rifle Dynamics, is in Arizona and he can build you whatever you need. He is a really great guy and his company does most all of the custom built rifles for Gabe Suarez and his crew.

Looks like mostly Semi-Auto guns on Jim Fuller's website. Any "building" of new MG's would be post dealer samples which I don't think will help him out much on his first purchase.

Top Bottom