First long gun purchase! Need some advice!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I see that the OP is fairly heavily resisting going the 22LR route as a starter rifle. Everyone can do as they wish, but solid shooting fundamentals should not be ignored. Typically, these fundamentals are developed with rimfire rifles.

OP, why don't you consider holding off on your purchase, borrow one of your buddies 10/22's and take an Appleseed or Revere's Riders course to get a better understanding of being a rifleman?

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    My recommendation is something in .223 or .308. If you get a .308, you can get an AR10 to go with it. If you got .223, you can get a 5.56 AR15 to go with it.

My rifle recommendation would be a Remington 700. You can pick them up cheap if you just look around. I got mine for $400, buy a scope and you're good to go. I have a .223 Remington 700 with scope, bipod, and a Hogue stock and I'm at less than $800 in.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I see that the OP is fairly heavily resisting going the 22LR route as a starter rifle. Everyone can do as they wish, but solid shooting fundamentals should not be ignored. Typically, these fundamentals are developed with rimfire rifles.

OP, why don't you consider holding off on your purchase, borrow one of your buddies 10/22's and take an Appleseed or Revere's Riders course to get a better understanding of being a rifleman?

I can definitely get on board with this. Didn't think about it for some reason. Get into Revere's Riders. It'll be fun and you'll learn a lot. It'll get you so far ahead as a new to rifle shooter than you'd be doing it on your own for awhile!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Maybe you guys should organize a Meet & Shoot in an area he can attend.
    Then he can try out some of these guns.

Feeling them in the gun shop without shooting them is like trying to become and expert at sex by reading about it.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Ah hell. I'm just gonna come right out and recommend a rifleman's rifle. The M1A or other M14 variant. :evilangel:
    Get good with it, and it will grow with you. 0-800 yds easily. My standard will.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton

I couldn't agree more, and have a few to lend for such a purpose.

Deadeye(+)

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2015
    Bainbridge
    If you don't go the .22LR route I would highly recommend the .223/5.56 route either a bolt .223 or an ar in 5.56. Ammo is fairly cheap and you can learn a lot. Bigger calibers are an option but it starts to get expensive

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    *Lever actions are a good 1st long gun choice (HENRY .357/.38)
    **M1A for the win.
    ***DANIEL DEFENSE mid length for a black gun.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    Ar or a remington 700 in 5.56/223 is a good stsrting point...u could also get a good savage or a host of other rifles...22 is boring as heck and i would go with a centerfire cartridge of some kind

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I love two two of my rifles...3030...22-250, both are great fun. If you want to stay on dirt cheap end then buy a Mosin. I have a 308 I would sell you also. Just saying.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    As long as you are happy with it. I have a bolt action 223 and I still love to get it out from time to time, it can really group them tight! Again though, a 22 would also be something to consider.

If you do some research you'll get a better idea of what suits your needs too I am sure. 17hmr would be something cheap and good to look at. !00 or in though you just don't need anything "not small" if you catch my drift. I am sure some other guys will be along soon to say a few things too and help you think it out.

Edit: just saw you said over 100 not under. Sorry I was about to pass out for the night!

Why not just get a bolt action chambered in .223?
    Sorry, maybe I'm just an old stick in the mud, but why spend the extra money on an AR when you can get at least two decent quality turnbolts that will more than likely outshoot even the best AR?

I mostly agree with this, but so many AR's can outshoot many bolt guns out of the box. But I don't necessarily agree that they are a beginners gun either. With the short sight radius and sensitivity to head placement and pressures on the rifle, I think a bolt action rifle is more suited to a new shooter than an AR15.

I think .243 is the ideal caliber for the one rifle, new shooter. From targets, to varmints, to large game (where legal) this caliber is very versatile. And recoil is low.

My recommendation is a quality rifle in .243.

Look no farther than the classifieds,

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...otguns/392216-remington-700-police-223-a.html

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    How about 30-06? A traditional standby, all around favorite, very versatile. Large selection of bullet sizes, ammo is very widely available. Can shoot long range if that's what you want to try, also good for just about any North American game from deer to antelope to elk, if you ever become interested.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    How about 30-06? A traditional standby, all around favorite, very versatile. Large selection of bullet sizes, ammo is very widely available. Can shoot long range if that's what you want to try, also good for just about any North American game from deer to antelope to elk, if you ever become interested.

Seconded on that, especially for a reloader, which will nearly neutralize the price advantage of .223/5.56.
    My only high power rifle is a .30-06, and for all the reasons you cite.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    in all seriousness, when my kid asked what car he should get to learn how to drive, I said "a bugatti". so I bought him one.

Top Bottom