First long gun purchase! Need some advice!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Remington 700. Winchester Model 70. Any Savage model 10 or variant . A Sako. A Ruger 77. There are many quality rifles.

Get a quality rifle .It should look good. Feel good in your hands. You should be proud to own it. Pay a few extra bucks for a good rifle out of the box. The budget, big box store rifles are not optimum and can be frustrating. I have looked at them and handled them and would not gift one of those cheaply made rifles to a loved one.

But that is just me.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I know that BBIs mentioned a couple of models for Bolt Actions, is there something you guys recommend specifically?

It all depends on your price pressures, but I consistently hear complimentary comments about the Ruger American, which can be gotten at prices that hover around the $300 range.
    If you're abile and willing to spend just a bit more for a nicer rifle (at least in terms of fit, finish, and esthetics) you could go for the current incarnation of the Ruger M77, the Hawkyeye.
    I don't have a Hawkeye, but I do have the older version of the M77, the one with the tang safety that I bought in 1988, a .30-06, and I'm able to squeeze five shot just inside 1" @ 100 yards with two of my handloads.
    Here she is, wearing the glass that I originally bought for her, a superb Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8x36 scope.

Ruger_M77_30-06.jpg

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The picture of your Ruger should be a sticky when people ask the question, "what should I get for my first rifle?". I wish I owned such an example.

The closest thing I own to it is a Remington 721 in .270 with a Nikon scope.

I still think that .243 is ideal, but 30.06 is great too. It doesn't thump that bad.....

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I'm going to suggest you get a .223. The price of .223 is so much lower than the other rifle calibers.

If you want a bolt, get one. Remember to budget for a scope and rings though. I am guessing you will want one either from the start or pretty soon after you get a rifle. Get with Alan at AA optics here. He will help you pick a scope to fit what you want to use it for.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    https://www.stagarms.com/model-6-super-varminter/

Or if money is not an issue and you want to start out with a nice, quality and highly accurate bolt action rifle get a Tikka Super Varmint. .223 is an inexpensive round, will get you to 500-600 yds. Another consideration is the 6.5 Grendel which will go to 1000+ yards and is still pretty inexpensive to shoot vs other calibers that will hit that distance and is mild shooting.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I haven't shot the center fire versions, but I do have the Ruger American Rimfire in .22lr and I love it. It has a great trigger out of the box and it is accurate. Get with Alan and get a crossfire scope and you have an excellent choice for a beginner rifle that will last and has the Ruger name behind it. They offer it in several calibers. I think it is pretty tough to beat for the cost and accuracy out of the box.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Why not just get a bolt action chambered in .223?
    Sorry, maybe I'm just an old stick in the mud, but why spend the extra money on an AR when you can get at least two decent quality turnbolts that will more than likely outshoot even the best AR?

This is my thinking as well. I'm not sure what your thoughts on "entry" level long guns are, but I can't recommend Tikka rifles highly enough. They're a little spendy, but in my opinion, they're worth it. They are accurate as heck right out of the box, the action is butter smooth and the adjustable trigger is fantastic.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Another vote for an ar in 223 here.
    Good brass ammo can be had for 30 cents per round, and psa has pre built uppers and lowers cheaper than you can build one.

Btw, noting your location, there are not many place you can shoot past 100yds around here unless you have access to private land.

If the ar market ever gets to panic status again, you will be able to sell the ar for double what you have in it, then go buy a nice Tikka t3 bolt gun or something Niiiiiiice for little to nothing out of pocket.

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    Another vote for an ar in 223 here.
    Good brass ammo can be had for 30 cents per round, and psa has pre built uppers and lowers cheaper than you can build one.

Btw, noting your location, there are not many place you can shoot past 100yds around here unless you have access to private land.

If the ar market ever gets to panic status again, you will be able to sell the ar for double what you have in it, then go buy a nice Tikka t3 bolt gun or something Niiiiiiice for little to nothing out of pocket.

If I do end up buying, I have no problems with traveling a bit to shoot further then 100 yards out.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    So looking at the options listed, I'm interested in the Savage 10/110 or Something like the Remington 700 SPS. Though the Remington 700 VTR looks really nice too!

I too would recommend the 223 or 243. Great calibers that wont break the bank (ammo) and offer mild recoil. Personally I love shooting my 223 and its not fancy (Ruger American).

If you are considering the bolts above, you might want to consider Tikka, Winchester M70 or Ruger Hawkeye.

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    I too would recommend the 223 or 243. Great calibers that wont break the bank (ammo) and offer mild recoil. Personally I love shooting my 223 and its not fancy (Ruger American).

If you are considering the bolts above, you might want to consider Tikka, Winchester M70 or Ruger Hawkeye.

I did check on the M70, but couldnt find a version in .223. Also, the Ruger Hawkeye page seems to be broken as when I look for more information it tells me page not found. I have not taken a look at Tikka, but will do so.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I will throw another stick in the hat for .223. I would recommend the remington 700 as I'm not a huge savage fan. I wou say stay away from the save axis rifles and remington 770 rifles if budget is a factor. Also invest in good glass, it will make a difference. Cheap glass that does not hold zero and that doesn't track will make the best rifle shoot like crap.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    As a first bolt action for the purpose and ranges you described it would be hard pressed to find a better caliber other than 223, cheaper ammo, many different factory loads available from hunting ammo to match grade. Allowing you to really find one the rifle likes since I'm assuming you don't reload you need to take that into account is the ammo you will shoot. Although I'm a big fan of the 243 cartridge factory ammo other than hunting rounds is kind of tough to find in most local stores, but either would be a great choice. My recommendation would be a Savage Hog Hunter in 223. They can be had for very reasonable money brand new most of the time less than $500 brand new and they have all the features of their higher priced counterparts from the Savage catalog, accutrigger, oversized bolt handle and even threaded barrel. Here is video of the review I did on mine, I did have mine in a Boyds stock, but it shot very well even before that. One good thing about the Hog Hunter other than the price their a Modell 11 so all the Model 10 aftermarket goodies will fit later on if you decide you want to upgrade the rifle. I also have a few other reviews on more budget friendly target rifles, so feel free to check them out and good luck on your quest!

[video=youtube;LwPJVRW41C8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwPJVRW41C8[/video]

Top Bottom