• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosier21

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    South Bend
    Recently purchased a Ruger SR9C to add to the long list of firearms I have had over the years. I'm pretty certain it's my favorite of all, and wish it had been my first. Now I have to purchase more ammo and make up for lost time.

Rooze1986

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 26, 2014
    NWI
    Recently purchased a Ruger SR9C to add to the long list of firearms I have had over the years. I'm pretty certain it's my favorite of all, and wish it had been my first. Now I have to purchase more ammo and make up for lost time.

I first bought an SR9, liked it so much that I bought an SR9c and just recently an LC9. I didn't think one could be a hoarder of guns, but I'm beginning to think I have a problem.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    It depends upon the individual. I recently trained someone whose first handgun is a Kahr CM9. He took to the training very well and ended up being able to reliably hit a man-sized target at 15 yards and point shoot and reliably hit a man-sized target at 5-7 yards. His hit rate was over 90%. At the end of the training, he was drawing from a holster and shooting and reloading. During the 5 hour training session he shot 4 different handguns and expended 250-300 rounds.
    OF course it depends on the individual, but I still say it's generally a bad idea. YMMV

rp8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Highland, Indiana
    In the subcompact field i think they key is for a first gun to still be able to get a full grip. I started off shooting subcompacts and I believe to this day that it hammered in fundamentals so well that it made shooting full size pistols a breeze. Not that this is the ideal way to do things but it worked for me!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    OF course it depends on the individual, but I still say it's generally a bad idea. YMMV
    I think that if someone wants a gun that they really are going to carry, that it probably will end up being a sub-compact. Bigger guns just don't get carried much or for long. Nothing wrong with them for a first-time gun as long as the owner learns how to use it. They are generally harder to shoot, but it's not a huge obstacle, if the owner puts some sweat equity into it. Most folks won't shoot any new handgun enough to get familiar with it and/or shoot it well even at close range, i.e. 7 yards and less. Most obstacles to training are mental blocks rather than real problems IMHO.

abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I started with a baby block 40, knowing what I know now though I prefer the narrow single stacks and carry the LC9. I would probably stay there still.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    For a first gun I think it depends on the person and the gun. A friend was looking to buy a first gun, tried a S&W bodyguard. Hated it. Then tried a Beretta PX4 subcompact in 9mm. Loves it.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    For a first gun I think it depends on the person and the gun. A friend was looking to buy a first gun, tried a S&W bodyguard. Hated it. Then tried a Beretta PX4 subcompact in 9mm. Loves it.
    Yes it depends. We are fortunate that we live in a country where there are so many varieties of guns available. Having such choices is what keeps all this so interesting. It would be very boring if we were limited to just a few.

abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I love my block, but be wary of the used ones. My first was used, I mean really used, got a good price but was not happy. Bought a new Gen 4 and love it.

Top Bottom