• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Knowing what I know now...hmm. That's not easy.
    1. Shield 9mm
    2. Sig 938 9mm
    3. Kahr CM9 9mm
    4. Springfield XDs 9mm
    Ask me tomorrow and the order might change.:):

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    My first was a Bersa .380. If I had to do it over again I would have gone straight to the 9mm Thunder. I mistakenly thought I needed to start "small", but in actuality the 9 is easier to shoot than the .380

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Knowing what I know now...hmm. That's not easy. 1. Shield 9mm2. Sig 938 9mm3. Kahr CM9 9mm4. Springfield XDs 9mmAsk me tomorrow and the order might change.:):
    I am not too sure how small you want to go. But for a small hide self defense gun, I would go with any of these; with an exception of the fact I would trade the springfield out for a Glock. Like I said, I am not too sure how small you want to go. But if you intend to really use it I would go a bit bigger. Sheild or baby Glock being the smallest.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You want a 100% reliable subcompact that will shoot with a poor handhold under stress conditions and will work even if you need to shoot through your own pocket in a really hairy "up close and personal" situation?

A small revolver. Chiefs special, Colt detective, Charter undercover, ect.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    S&W .38 Spl or .357 mag. J frame with 3" barrel. They are very shootable. For a semi-auto, the Kahr CM9 is hard to beat. I wouldn't consider a lesser caliber than .38 SPL or 9mm.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Ruger SR9c was my first gun. If I had it to do over again, I would not do anything different. But like some have said, go somewhere like GM that will let you hold as many as you are interested in. Then make a short list and rent or borrow the ones on that list, if possible. Although I own one now (Diamondback DB9), I would not recommend a sub-compact as your first/only EDC.

rp8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Highland, Indiana
    I think the Shield is hard to beat for a first gun. Very reasonably priced, easily field stripped and small enough to carry easily yet shootable enough to shoot all day.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    GetDynamicImage.aspx

Ya just need real loose-fitting boxer shorts! :laugh:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    LANShark42;51914549 I would not recommend a sub-compact as your first/only EDC.[/QUOTE said:
    It depends upon the individual. I recently trained someone whose first handgun is a Kahr CM9. He took to the training very well and ended up being able to reliably hit a man-sized target at 15 yards and point shoot and reliably hit a man-sized target at 5-7 yards. His hit rate was over 90%. At the end of the training, he was drawing from a holster and shooting and reloading. During the 5 hour training session he shot 4 different handguns and expended 250-300 rounds.

Top Bottom