• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy2424

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    I will have my CCW in the next month. I am looking for some advice. I went to the gun show over the weekend and picked up a lot of guns. Originally I was interested in getting a compact 9mm. After picking up many of them they just never felt right in my hand. Most of them seemed to small in my hand. I changed my focus to picking up guns that were more close to full size and stumbled across the S&W SD40 VE. This gun felt amazing in my hand. My problem is I don't wanna get something so large it will be uncomfortable to carry. Any help/advice at all is much appreciated.

Mr.Johnny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Hard to find but M&P Shields are nice. Holstered or pocketed. Little large for pocket but I carry often in front. I personally have the 9mm. Also have a full 9mm M&P. For me to large to carry.

4GvnSnr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    It really comes down to a trade off, generally the more comfortable it is in your hand the harder it will be to conceal and carry comfortably. You should try to go to a range and shoot several different guns to see what works well for you and then you can go from there.

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    No one get started in on me for being "the Glock guy" but the Glock 19 is considered to be one of the best everyday carry guns for a reason. A G3 Glock is $500 bucks (maybe cheaper), carries 15 rounds, fits perfect in about ANY hand and is small enough to conceal under any coat or sweatshirt. Not to mention it's idiot proof which is why I prefer Glocks myself.

New Glock 19 9mm Handgun Gen 3

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Try a XDm compact. They come with a flush fitting mag and a full size mag w/ adapter sleeve. Train with the full size, train with and carry the smaller one. Just my 2 cents.

bassmatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    Marshal County
    Try your local gun shop and ask if you can try out a holster that fits your gun of choice. Put the holster on your belt and holster the gun to check to see how comfortable it is. Remember it will be heavier with a loaded magazine. I prefer a good leather holster over the plastic ones but thats me. Just remember if the holster is not comfortable you wont want to carry your gun.
    Matt

nemo97

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Full size handguns are not uncomfortable to carry with the right accessories. Do not skimp on a belt designed to support the likes of a gun. I purchased a 1/4" leather belt and it completely changed the way carrying my full size CZ 75 steel gun felt. I went from OMG this sucks to only noticing my pistol way there when I squeezed through tight spots.

As for a solid suggestion, a nice pistol to check out is the CZ 75D Compact. I am currently carrying one while in Texas because of their draconian position on open carry.

MetalMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Howard County
    Sounds like the same thing as I did when I started. I had to ask myself what is the primary reason to own each of my guns. Is it primarilly a CCW? Home defense? Plinker? Then find the one that works best. Glock, Springer and S&W all have good, lightweight full size and compact plastic guns that can serve multiple purposes.

I to looked at the S&W SD40 and it felt good in the hand. Then I tried an M&P with the small backstrap and it fit like a glove. So I paid the $$ and it was well worth it! My full size M&P is comfortable to CCW under a jacket or sweatshirt, but not convienient in the summer. :twocents:

NastyNate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Reelsville
    Try a XDm compact. They come with a flush fitting mag and a full size mag w/ adapter sleeve. Train with the full size, train with and carry the smaller one. Just my 2 cents.

I agree. I have one in 45 acp and the grip size is perfect because of the larger round. It conceals nicely still. If the grip is too short add a pearce magazine extension.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Several ranges have rentals for a reasonable price rent guns and try them on the range or if you have friends who are into shooting go with them, generally they will be happy to help.
    The most important thing about buying a gun to carry is that it will provide you with a method of defense and it must be somewhat comfortable but remember it's there to be comforting not comfortable.
    The most comfortable hand gun I own is a Ruger LCR.357, only 5 shots but small and light and very easy to carry. On the otherhand you may find me carrying a full size 1911A1 just because I like them so much.

Krogo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Dittos on the CZ75 Compact. Fits my hands like a glove and can be used as a hammer in a pinch! My other hideaway is a Sig P238. Small, but I love the feel, fit and finish. With my big hands it's still a comfortable shooter, just drop my pinky under the mag. I carry it in a Sneaky Pete holster and because of it's size the whole package looks like a phone holster. I have never had anyone look at it sideways.

Cottong2001

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Down the road a piece...
    Find one that fits your hand. Shoot as many different kinds as you can. Don't rule out a revolver, especially if you are buying to carry. Buy for a specific purpose.

Also, consider a 22 like a Ruger SR22 or Walter P22 or Sig P22 to start with. A lot of guys go straight to a larger caliber and develop bad habits because of the expected recoil.

Take a basic pistol class and you usually have the chance to shoot several different calibers and makes.

spqr

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Zionsville
    "Don't rule out a revolver, especially if you are buying to carry. Buy for a specific purpose."

I like this advice...they are simple, reliable, and offer alot of concealable choices...
    Ruger SP101, LCR; S&W 442, 642, 340PD, 360PD, etc...; Taurus has numerous models (if you want to save a few bucks). You can add laser grips (some come pre-installed)...if you are carrying for self-prservation, you might need to use it fast!

BTW, did I mention...they are simple and reliable.:)

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    "Don't rule out a revolver, especially if you are buying to carry. Buy for a specific purpose."

I like this advice...they are simple, reliable, and offer alot of concealable choices...
    Ruger SP101, LCR; S&W 442, 642, 340PD, 360PD, etc...; Taurus has numerous models (if you want to save a few bucks). You can add laser grips (some come pre-installed)...if you are carrying for self-prservation, you might need to use it fast!

BTW, did I mention...they are simple and reliable.:)

+1 here also. I like the idea of compact DAO revolver.

IMO, the ultimate compact carry personal defense weapon (for literally defending your person) is a Taurus Judge loaded with a .410 slug. Think of it as a derringer with more ammo capacity that you can fire more than once.

Check this one out: Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

I like the idea of a Bond Arms derringers in a .410 shotshell, too. Seems like a good idea, on paper anyway. Not sure if these things are actually shootable-- never shot one.

JMO

whispers76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    I have larger hands and know what you mean about feel. The MP9c I have is ok with grio extender, but no fun at the range. Full size is not uncomfortable for me to carry. My primary carry is a full size 1911, I have carried a Beretta 96d with no problem. Depends on you though, my wife can't carry either comfortably & carries an MP40c. Go to your gun store & try some out for feel. Assuming stocked. The shield has gotten good reviews, but I've yet to see one.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I have smallish hands and find the M&Ps to feel really good in the hand. The grip is perfect, but the trigger is just a little too close for me-- I'd prefer to pull with my finger pad, not my first knuckle crease.

Glocks feel "ok" to me unless they are Gen 4s, which feel really good out of the box.

Berettas 92s feel great in the hand, but they are heavy and clunky.

An HK P30 may be the gun that feels best in the hand of all for me-- it feels like it was made to be an extension of my hand. But I can't see paying a grand for a plastic gun.

I haven't really held a Kahr, but since everyone comments on the really solid build quality, I'd add it to my list for sure.

There are so many great guns out there than any list is bound to be incomplete.

JMO

d30carls

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Cicero, IN
    My primary carry gun is a xd 40 4" service model the thing i like best about the 40 is everywhere is about out of 9mm or 45 ammo u can count on finding 40 most places something to consider right now very comfortable to carry great shooter

Indy2424

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Thanks a lot for all of the info. This will definitely help me a lot.
    I will also check out some revolvers.

My plan was to start out with a 9mm, although I looked at the .40 caliber S&W I am aware that they do make a 9mm of the same model.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    If you are around Indy, head down the Indy trading post and rent a few to see what you like. It appears that they have 40-50 pistols you can rent.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom