• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Well my point is that I'm a budget guy.I live my life on a budget.My first carry gun was a Cobra .32,then I moved "up" to a Kel Tec P11,then I bought a Springfield 1911,now I carry a Glock 21.I'd have loved to have an HK on my budget back then.

As far as size is concerned,get comfortable carrying the HK and save save save.Once you're comfy with that,a G26 or similar size gun will melt away when you put it on.

For those that knock the Kel Tec:
    That Kel Tec was a good gun.Sure,the trigger was like pulling a wheelbarrow of bricks up a mountainside after the wheel fell off,and it wasn't pretty,but that gun ate everything I put in it without a hiccup.There are just better options out there.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I really like my little pf9. Carries great and mine shoots pretty nicely for its size and reputation. I will say that I compared my vp9 and g19 last night and they are fairly close in size. For what it's worth anyways. :)

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I will say that I compared my vp9 and g19 last night and they are fairly close in size. For what it's worth anyways. :)

The VP9 is almost exactly the same size as a Glock 17. Only difference is the VP9 is slightly thicker.

[video=youtube_share;5n_VSwSlKts]http://youtu.be/5n_VSwSlKts[/video]

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    The VP9 is almost exactly the same size as a Glock 17. Only difference is the VP9 is slightly thicker.

[video=youtube_share;5n_VSwSlKts]http://youtu.be/5n_VSwSlKts[/video]

I did watch that video and while I agree to an extent with Hickok45's viewpoint the G19 and VP9 are closer than you might think. The grip is a little longer (ala G17) but the slide/barrel are almost the same length. The H&K's slide is a little wider also yes but not enough to cry about. I was comparing them both last night for the fun of it.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    If you feel like you need a smaller gun, I'd recommend shopping around and finding the Shield in your budget. Your budget isn't as low as some of these guys seem to think. You don't need to spend $700+ for a gun to be reliable. What is more important is putting the gun through its paces before you deem it ready to be carried. I believe I've seen many people recommend at least 500 rounds before carrying it. I'd say find the Shield you can afford, shoot a bunch, and then carry it.

Here is a 9mm Shield for $350 new: https://www.armsunlimited.com/Smith-Wesson-SW-MP-Shield-9mm-Compact-Pistol-p/180021.htm

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP:

since you now already have a FANTASTIC pistol that will carry just fine:

Invest in a good belt. Look around INGO there are myriad threads talking about them. You can go with leather (Beltman and 5.11 come to mind), nylon (SOE, Volund GearWorks, 5.11) or synthetic leather (Daltech Super Bio Belt). Googling any of these should get you in the right direction. I personally have a Beltman bullhide belt and a 5.11 casual belt (leather) and am entirely pleased with both.

Next - look into a holster. You don't have to spend $150 on a holster to have a good one. I like kydex holsters. They're relatively inexpensive and quite durable. You can also rinse/wash them out - can't really do that as easily with leather. Prices for Kydex holsters are all over the place. From $50-ish from the small time guy doing it as a second gig - on up to $100-ish for the Big Boys. I have one Henry Holster's OWB rig for my Shield and I have two or three Raven Concealment Systems for my full sized M&P. For these holsters I have - I have them all set up for only OWB use. Having a hard plastic holster IWB just isn't all that comfortable for me - though I've done it plenty. For IWB purposes, I'd suggest a "hybrid" leather/kydex combination holster. I also have a Henry Holster's hybrid rig for a M&P. Crossbreed, as mentioned above, is one of the biggest names in the hybrid holster business. Look them up.

Remember: Good doesn't mean expensive. And expensive doesn't mean good.

Also: Invest in more magazines. Invest in training. Have enough magazines that you can train with certain ones and leave certain ones for carry.

-J-

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I'll never understand people wanting to a buy to which they plan to trust their life and trying to spend as little possible on it.

The gun you carry should be the highest quality, or at least most reliable, firearm you can possibly afford. I vote for save more and buy a used Glock (or shield), or buy a decent belt and holster and carry your VP9.

I'd offer to sell you a commander sized 1911 for $300 but I know you mean to carry this gun and I know this particular gun likes to stovepipe, so that's not happening.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Oh, and for the love of God and Old Glory, carry whatever gun you choose to carry with a round in the chamber. Carrying a gun that isn't ready to go at a moments notice is simply foolish and I will never understand why some choose to do this. Most of us aren't Israeli special forces and can't draw, chamber a round and put that round on target in one fluid motion under high stress. So do whatever you you have to do to get comfortable carrying a loaded and ready pistol.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Used Ruger LC9 or a Smith and Wesson Shield would fit your needs very well and stay within your price range. I have the LC9 and while the trigger isn't a match grade trigger its not that hard to shoot and works just fine for what it is.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You can carry the VP9 with no problem, assuming a good belt and holster.

Now, I'm going to throw another kink into your plans. You bought an H&K. It has a magazine release that only H&K and a hand full of others use (some Walthers, for example). If you are going to carry multiple guns and are going to train seriously, you are going to screw up reloads if you carry some guns with the trigger guard paddle release and some with the button on the side. Under stress, you will find yourself doing one when you meant the other.

Because of that, I would recommend that you either always carry the H&K or never carry it. Other pistols can be used for plinking, etc. but you need consistency in your carry guns.

MusicMatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 21, 2014
    Lake County
    Wow. I knew mentioning a Kel Tec and a Taurus in the same thread would be controversial. I appreciate most of the input so far. BehindBlueI's comment is very relevant and another reason why I don't want to carry the VP9. The Walther PPS is one of the only choices for a CCW pistol with a paddle style mag release.
    I will continue to look for the good deal on a Shield. The Taurus is probably out of the running after looking at mags and accessories last night. They are hard to find and way overpriced. The Kel Tec on the other hand is pretty cheap on that side of things.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Shield is a fine choice. Probably the best value in the compact single stack market right now.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I agree with the others that are recommending the shield, of even the LC9. That said, my wife owns a PF9, and has had nothing but good luck with it. She did carry it for some time, but has evolved over the years, and her current carry choice is my Kahr MK9. It is WAY out of the Kel-Tec's league, so not really an apples to apples comparison, but it does magnify the advice to spend once, cry once. Shooting the two side by side it becomes EXTREMELY apparent that the PF-9 leaves much to be desired.

nb1980

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Columbus
    On the subject of holster and belts I have been using my Daltech Bio belt for almost two years now it has worked great with everything I've carried from my glock 22 to my 1911. I really like my El Paso holster the two combined was less than $100. If you like kydex my hooch for my glock was great too.

Top Bottom