• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MusicMatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 21, 2014
    Lake County
    I'm looking for my first carry gun. Settled on 9mm. I picked up a VP9 the other day and planned on getting a Shield as well, but some unforeseen bills have stopped that idea. I'm looking to stay at $300-$325 out the door. Due to my current budget, waiting to save up a little more is not an option.

PSA has a great deal on a Taurus PT 111 G2 right now. I handles it and liked the way it felt. Very slim for a 12+1. Also there's the Kel Tec PF9/PF11 series.

There is a gun show this weekend. Is that even an option? I've never been to one before. I even considered selling my AR to find this because quite frankly I don't really see myself shooting it in the bear future.

Any help is appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    The cheapest part about gun ownership is the purchase price. If this is something you plan on carrying for self defense, you're gonna spend double that on ammo real quick. Just food for thought.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Save money.
    Buy better.

You don't have to spend a lot of money and go real fancy.
    But don't go too cheap.
    There will always be another gun for sale.

MusicMatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 21, 2014
    Lake County
    Thanks Yup. I've consolidated down to 9mm and 5.56 and have a decent buildup of those calibers. For the next 6 months or so things will be tight, but I won't need to buy any ammo. Good point for first time buyers though.

xdmdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    southport
    You could go with a kahr cw9 if you can find one used it should be in your price range. In my opinion it's a way better carry gun than your two choices. I would pick the pf9 out of what you have listed and as long as you get a reliable one it will be good with one caveat. Practice practice practice with that pf9 and it's horrid trigger. Really you should be practicing with any gun you will carry. Good luck.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Bersa Thunder
    You could also try looking here. Guns For Sale Online - Kentucky Gun Co. Look toward the bottom of the page. Somewhere there is a link to their blemished firearms.
    They have cosmetic blemishes in the finish, but otherwise completely functional, and carry full factory warranties.
    They usually have quite an extensive selection of Taurus revolvers.

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    You have a VP9 right?

Easiest and cheapest thing to do is buy an extra mag a good belt and holster and carry what you got until funds catch up with desires.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'd have no problem with the Taurus. They make a pretty good product. I carry a Millennium Pro in .45 and like it lot. No issues. The PT 111 is a nice gun. If you ever did have an issue with it it has a lifetime warranty.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Also you gotta remember you're not in California anymore. You can OC (open carry) that VP9 here in IN, so comfort of carry is less of a concern.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Like some of the others I am a bit confused on whether you have the VP9 or not. If so, I don't see the problem. If not, I would stay away from the bargain brands you mention and look for something like a used Glock in your price range. The quality of Tauri is just to hit and miss to take a chance on as your only defensive gun.

MusicMatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 21, 2014
    Lake County
    I have applied for a lifetime LTCH and am waiting for it in the mail. I just want to avoid the inevitable hassle of some ignorant person freaking out on an open carry. I did buy the VP9.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Stay far far away from anything taurus or keltec. A quality defensive pistol can be found on the used market for not much more $$ (if any).

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I have applied for a lifetime LTCH and am waiting for it in the mail. I just want to avoid the inevitable hassle of some ignorant person freaking out on an open carry. I did buy the VP9.

I must be doing something wrong.
    No freaking out that I know of. Maybe i need to add flashing LEDs to thd holster. :)

Top Bottom