First AR, looking for input on hand guards etc.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Typhon1390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I just acquired my first AR. It's a Bushmaster M4A3. I know very little about AR's and rifle in general, that's why I bought it. Thankfully I have INGO for support and reference. Right now I'm looking at replacing the hand guard and pistol grip. I'm also looking at replacing the carry handle with a back up iron sight as I do intend to spend a lot of time learning on iron sights before I get any kind of optic. I'm looking for recommendations on where/what to buy, preferably geared towards someone on a budget.

Also interested in .22 conversions.

Last edited:

Typhon1390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Wow, looks like that thread will be very helpful. Thanks for the link.

The primary purpose of this rifle is learning rifle marksmanship and target shooting. I do want to get into more advanced tactical oriented skills and training eventually as I hope to get into L.E. after the military, but for the time being it's a range gun. I did want an AR for the "tacti-cool" factor I suppose you could say, so I'd like to dress it up though.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So a dolled-up range toy with a focus on accuracy-- got it.

Because this won't be your "go-to" gun and you won't depend on it for self-defense, it almost makes your decisions easier, as you don't have to worry so much about having uber-reliable accessories. You can save some money this way.

I would first look at swapping out your grip. Best improvement for the $$ IMO. My favorites are the Ergo Suregrip and Magpul MOE/MIAD.

You could also look at an upgraded trigger. Someone else will have to guide you toward a good one.

Another good and inexpensive mod would be an enhanced trigger guard, like those from Magpul or Spike's Tactical. This not only gives the rifle more aesthetic appeal, but it eliminates the nasty finger-rubbing gap that comes with the standard trigger guard.

And of course a rifle is only as good as its magazines. Don't go cheap here. Luckily PMAGs can be had for about $15 a piece and they are the current gold standard. If you want to spend a little more you can check out those offered by Lancer.

That should get you started. . . .

Typhon1390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Sounds about right. I'm not opposed to using it for self defense, but in the context of my house/densely populated residential neighborhood I don't see how it could be more practical than my handguns. If someone wants to try to sell that to me I'm listening.

I definitely like the idea of changing out the grip, there's a ridge on there presently that doesn't fit my hand at all. Trigger feels fine to me, short and crisp, but I guess I wouldn't know better anyway. I hadn't even thought about my finger rubbing on the trigger guard, but good call, that's getting changed. And PMAG's look sweet to me. Those are some easy and great mods, thanks!

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I like the Ergo Grip and the Magpul MOE grip. Very worthwhile additions to a rifle regardless of it's intended use.

Although I run a M4 handguard on my rifle I am becoming a fan of the Magpul MOE type. It's more ergonomic than the M4 type and lighter than the traditional railed metal handguards. It can also have rails attached but if you don't need them you don't need them leave them off.

Railed handguards are nice if you need to attach a bunch of stuff to your rifle but I don't (I only run an old Surefire 660 Weapon Mounted Light which easily attaches to the barrel). If you don't really need them they just add extra weight and are uncomfortable. The comfort can be improved but then you have to add panels/ladders and that introduces more stuff into the equation to loose/break. My advice - unless you absolutely must have rails stick with an M4 or Magpul MOE type handguard.

For the rear sight I recommend a fixed type like this unless you are using optics where clearance is an issue. I've tried several folding style rear sights and they work fine but for me a fixed sight is always preferable to a folding one.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    So a dolled-up range toy with a focus on accuracy-- got it.

Because this won't be your "go-to" gun and you won't depend on it for self-defense, it almost makes your decisions easier, as you don't have to worry so much about having uber-reliable accessories. You can save some money this way.

I would first look at swapping out your grip. Best improvement for the $$ IMO. My favorites are the Ergo Suregrip and Magpul MOE/MIAD.

You could also look at an upgraded trigger. Someone else will have to guide you toward a good one.

Another good and inexpensive mod would be an enhanced trigger guard, like those from Magpul or Spike's Tactical. This not only gives the rifle more aesthetic appeal, but it eliminates the nasty finger-rubbing gap that comes with the standard trigger guard.

And of course a rifle is only as good as its magazines. Don't go cheap here. Luckily PMAGs can be had for about $15 a piece and they are the current gold standard. If you want to spend a little more you can check out those offered by Lancer.

That should get you started. . . .

AGREED :) Love the Magpul gear - all of it as I have the . I am waiting for an upgraded Spike's trigger for my current gun and will let you know how much better it is. I am sure it will be sweet compared to my DPMS either way. I also ordered an enhanced lower group from Spike's on my 2nd AR build. Have fun with it and happy :ar15:

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I put magpul handgrip on mine with magpul vertical grip ...bought a ton of magpul mags and magpul floorplates which are a nice mod ..best accessory was the b.a.d. (battery assist device) lever which allow for one hand operation for the most part....the foregrip allows for picatinny rails to be installed so i just ordered a streamlight flashlight with the light attachment...mine was a bushmaster..my only regret is that I did not get the flattop and put on red dot or scope...i have a hard time seeing the targe at 50 yards with iron sights but my bushy with me shooting with open sight will group about 4-5 inches...i am sure i could get moa groups with a better trigger and a scope...will be thinking of this in my next ar build...I got a really good deal on mine and the stuff i add i get at a bargain too..

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    MOE handguards are nice. I also really like MIAD grip.

20110601132939.jpg

20110523102200.jpg

or you could put a rail like RAS on it. :)
    20110518124847.jpg

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    love Magpul magazines with the clear round count window. Always have a guy that sells them for about $11 per at Ft Wayne gun & knife show

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    I just acquired my first AR. It's a Bushmaster M4A3. I know very little about AR's and rifle in general, that's why I bought it. Thankfully I have INGO for support and reference. Right now I'm looking at replacing the hand guard and pistol grip. I'm also looking at replacing the carry handle with a back up iron sight as I do intend to spend a lot of time learning on iron sights before I get any kind of optic. I'm looking for recommendations on where/what to buy, preferably geared towards someone on a budget.

Also interested in .22 conversions.

for the AR grip, I love my Magpul MIAD grip.

RIFLE GRIPS - MIAD® Grip Kit – AR15/M16

Im not sure what type of hand guard you are wanting (Quad rail, or no rails like the MOE hand guard) But for the quad rail i have the Troy Industries and I have no complaints.

Troy BattleRail MRF-MX 10"|BattleRail Accessories|BattleSlings|Sling Accessories|Sling Mounts|Troy Industries| |

For a backup sight I would recommend the Troy Industries sights.

Rear Folding BattleSights|Diamond Sights|Diamond Gun Sights|Tactical Sights|Troy Industries

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Have you shot your new AR? I mean, like even once?

All these guys have given you sterling advice like they always do. But aren't you itching to go out and run some mags through it before you start adding parts? As a baseline for future mods?

Just curious.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Have you shot your new AR? I mean, like even once?

All these guys have given you sterling advice like they always do. But aren't you itching to go out and run some mags through it before you start adding parts? As a baseline for future mods?

Just curious.

I would do this first. When you start changing out parts you can start to add weight. Things like grips, and trigger guards are probably sratch, but tactical handguards, VFG's, AFG's, lights, lasers, etc. add weight.

I have a tricked out gun that I shoot a lot. By the end of my last carbine class I was really noticing the weight. I'm seriously considering dropping the tactical quadrail handguard and going to an MOE style with a mount for my light.

Just my :twocents:, there regarding weight, and since you are military, I'm sure you have heard the "ounces = pounds, and pounds = pain" mantra before. :patriot:

Typhon1390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yep, I'd been meaning to get it out at the range but stuff kept coming up. I did shoot it today and yesterday though. I love it and I'm hooked. I'm actually thinking I'm gonna basically go with what esrice suggested for the time being. I'm gonna get a magpul trigger guard, moe grip, some pmags, and maybe a .22 conversion. I also just got a P22 Target and M&P 40c so I've got lots of new things to get used to before I need to think about getting anything else.

Down the road looks like Magpul is def. the way to go. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled on the classifieds for good deals. Thanks for all the input everyone!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I suggest you learn to use iron sights before adding an optic. If your optic fails, what good is the rifle if you do not know how to properly use the iron sights? Just some food for thought.

cav_cdr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Columbus
    Magpul MIAD grip and MOE handguards are great as are their mags. U.S.Patriot makes an excellent point about learning to shoot accurately with the iron sights. Learn the controls, practice the basics and always be SAFE!

Top Bottom