• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I decided to take the plunge and try and camo one of my cheaper ARs. I have to say I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. Not perfect but the colors work well and blends in pretty good with were I normally shoot. Id say for a rattlecan job and only having about $15 bucks in it, I think it turned out well.

IMG_20151025_131413_939_zpsffan8mx7.jpg

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Very nice! I just found out that spray paint holds up better that most give it credit for. I went to strip my spr down to play around with camo patterns and I tried a few gun solvents that everyone keeps saying will eat away and nope, clp, nope, break cleaner as a last resort and nothing. Ended up going and buying some citristrip.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Thanks guys! Yea I used the Rustoleum colors also. I ran the carbine course with it today an it seemed to do fine being beat around. I think it will probably look a little better once it gets a bit of a wore down look to it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Nice! What technique did you use? It looks like there are some overlapping-leaf type contours to it.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Thanks! Yea I just fanned out some dried grasses I found in the woods with some tiny pine branches mixed in. I sprayed the lighter green base an then used the two other colors with the grass pattern.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My first sponge painting.....did not do pcs at same time, so had to remix colors, used diff sponges and didn't get things perfectly matched.
    If any deer complain I'll just shoot 'em.

I still like my 700 tiger stripe paint job the best.
    m2mxlRy.jpg

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Great job! I've done 2 AR's now. Amazing how easy it is, and the less you try to make it look "perfect" the better it looks.

Thanks! Ha ha ha I have to agree I've painted a few rifle stocks but never a whole AR. I have to agree it seems like the ones I sort of rushed through turned out the best..

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Good eye, 3green3. That's a fine job.
    That AR could win a plastic scale model contest.
    Well, just as long as it wasn't RC that is.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Looks great. A cheap paint job greatly improves the bland nature of the all black AR. No need for stencils or anything else. just mask off anything that does not need paint and get creative. I always mask off the front sight post and rear aperature, remove the bolt and close the dust cover and get busy. And believe it or not but the color that you use as base can effect the finished look, even if you use the exact same colors.

Top Bottom