• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I cut the end off of my pinky finger with a kitchen mandolin slicer yesterday. Took hours and hours and hours to get the bleeding stopped.

Got a reality check on my, thought to be squared away, first aid supplies. Had tons of first-aid stuff, just not the ideal supplies for a noticeable finger injury. Not to mention, having to treat the injury with the weak hand. :ugh: I ordered a handful of finger treating specific first-aid things from Amazon, along with updating my tape and gauze. Delivery this afternoon. times like this quickly make me forget all the bitching about problems with Amazon. :)

My main question (other advice welcomed also,) is whether triple antibiotic ointment is the proper dressing for under the bandage covering the wound? Is there a better alternative to best insure avoiding infection in the modern day?

Added to the discussion is that I work with my hands a lot. Cutting up veggies for putting by is work that is unavoidable this time of year. I was slicing zucchini for the dehydrator when I had the dumb-ass attack and let the pinky get into the blade. Garden dirt work, fish cleaning and frequent hand washings are things that just have to happen.

TIA INGO!

:ingo:

20240829_133036.jpg

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    They make what I will call finger condoms. Get a few for the dirty work. Cleaning using triple an under the bandage is good for a while helps keeping things from drying out. Clean is the big thing. Keep it that way.
    Basic first aid classes are Red Cross types. I would think if you are an INGO member a stop the bleed class would be a good thing. If you can put holes in things best to stop the bleeding of holes punched into things.
    All the first aid supplies in the world will not help if you don’t know how to use them.
    Get an IFAK or better and some training you will be good.

Eric66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2024
    West Lafayette
    Triple A is good, finger cots for dirty work like Snapping Turtle said above. Wait till tomorrow to change the dressing and just keep an eye out for infection. At the first sign, head for an Urgent Care, ER or your doctors office. Saving $xxx.xx ain't worth losing a finger (or more) over.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    When I did this I was in the pole barn and electrical tape and a rag until I got in the house. Then Listerine and good bandages and to the ER where they stitched the top back on. IMG_0469.jpegER cut the nail off, I only cut the top off. Listerine is about all I’ve ever used and I’m still kicking!

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Ouch!!! I can understand why it took a while to stop bleeding. Slices that you cannot pull back together are hard to stop the bleeding.

On the other idea if you could find the piece lost and wrap it back in might help. (only at the moment of loss.) I have had bad cuts self seal if you pull them tight quick. But I am just internet advice.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Bdub, "bandage" looks good. Fingertip bandages are handy, but a regular bandage over the top with a radial wrap of tape to hold the ends in place is better.
    Bug, next time put a spoiler tag on that damn thing. Thats borderline "inappropriate". Sheesh.

And as someone who has done that as well, ALWAYS use the guard on that slicer. ALWAYS*. I even manage to slip off and lose a little skin from time to time even doing that.

*or at least once you get within 2-3" of the blade. Sometimes like with a tater using the guard/holdy thing is not very easy for the first 75% of the veggie.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Good advice on the first-aid and beyond classes, I've been to numerous.

I got my finger wound supplies in. The fingertip bandages were a welcome help in that kind of wound coverage. I got the small finger cots for my little girl hands. Seems to be a good choice, as they seem to seal well...20240829_223900.jpg

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Interesting research. antibiotic ointments arent much better than placebos. So maybe just keeping it moist via vaseline is good enough?

VostocK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    After reading through this thread, I guess I'll stop feeling sorry for myself after getting a deep splinter from hastily cut section of ground contact pressure treated lumber yesterday. I swear pressure treated splinters seem to hurt more than untreated.

Eric66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2024
    West Lafayette
    After reading through this thread, I guess I'll stop feeling sorry for myself after getting a deep splinter from hastily cut section of ground contact pressure treated lumber yesterday. I swear pressure treated splinters seem to hurt more than untreated.
    That's probably because of the chemicals used in treating lumber. Think embalming fluid with cyanide.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Curad silver wound gel. The stuff just works. Probably because one application can last up to 3 days and unlike things like neosporin it kills mrsa along with being anti fungal. It is also safe to put on a pet wound(our vet uses it and it is how I found out about it) as even them licking it off will not hurt them. Obviously it is better if a thin layer dries/is absorbed into a pets skin,but it worked great on a wound of my GSD and countless wounds I have had for 10+ years. One tube of it,a couple bandaids and a hankerchief was my first aid kit for 6+ months on the AT.

https://www.amazon.com/Curad-Silver-Solution-Antimicrobial-Wound/dp/B075ZFRC9K/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1BOW16XCRO3VZ&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Y5O6EpPJw7g68ChY6k4jmXc00CcFEvrTOrllI4Eeejq8lZ9YRvYohqzSnyYtTir9f6Z8wvepVLoznlPoeYF3vnwHy5J0YZTIosnldtAU3LLwRedau7q9D-1XDA-9zsW6hWtghPzKuStbBoglnv7DbDtYcalSTgFBwy_E5nATkXbT_B0DiHiSAY4JIPqCZtT_vR0WRsTBE_ce5hChkJvY5o6y4HmNXysTGuIguKbfKYE.5orsh_Hrrq4FkdxsZwYw_rgc3_-lrGJpQl9B1Br4Bzs&dib_tag=se&keywords=curad+silver+wound+gel&qid=1725068037&sprefix=curad+silver+,aps,153&sr=8-1

INP8riot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rockville
    Curad silver wound gel. The stuff just works. Probably because one application can last up to 3 days and unlike things like neosporin it kills mrsa along with being anti fungal. It is also safe to put on a pet wound(our vet uses it and it is how I found out about it) as even them licking it off will not hurt them. Obviously it is better if a thin layer dries/is absorbed into a pets skin,but it worked great on a wound of my GSD and countless wounds I have had for 10+ years. One tube of it,a couple bandaids and a hankerchief was my first aid kit for 6+ months on the AT.

https://www.amazon.com/Curad-Silver-Solution-Antimicrobial-Wound/dp/B075ZFRC9K/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1BOW16XCRO3VZ&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Y5O6EpPJw7g68ChY6k4jmXc00CcFEvrTOrllI4Eeejq8lZ9YRvYohqzSnyYtTir9f6Z8wvepVLoznlPoeYF3vnwHy5J0YZTIosnldtAU3LLwRedau7q9D-1XDA-9zsW6hWtghPzKuStbBoglnv7DbDtYcalSTgFBwy_E5nATkXbT_B0DiHiSAY4JIPqCZtT_vR0WRsTBE_ce5hChkJvY5o6y4HmNXysTGuIguKbfKYE.5orsh_Hrrq4FkdxsZwYw_rgc3_-lrGJpQl9B1Br4Bzs&dib_tag=se&keywords=curad+silver+wound+gel&qid=1725068037&sprefix=curad+silver+,aps,153&sr=8-1
    This, this and this! Colloidal Silver is what you are after. I use straight 500ppm colloidal silver from the dropper for wounds. I mix it to 50ppm and spray it on a myriad of things. Wounds heal so much faster when silver is applied and the scarring is minimized. Nasal, ear, eye infections.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks again for all the advice friends!

I ordered the silver stuff. Anyone know if there is a shelf life date on this?

I ran into an issue with some years old medical tape degrading while trying to stop the finger tip bleed. I need to inventory and organize my first-aid supply.

An update - So far my treatment is working well. The wound looks good and could likely go uncovered, were it not for sensitivity and water contamination.

Another question; I have found that the finger cot does fine for incidental water repelling. It does not stay sealed for chores like showers and dish washing. Is it harmful for me to tightly wrap a hair tie rubber band around the base of the finger cot to seal it shut for hand washing and water immersion?

Top Bottom