• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    My best friend was terminated from work becuase he had a handgun in his car. Only reason his work knew about the handgun is becuase someone broke into his car last week and stole the handgun. His works cameras got the guy who stole the gun on the security cameras. On his termination letter it was clearly stated he was fired because of having a firearm on company property. Doesnt the state law allow us to have a handgun in our car as long as the car is locked up?

Just wanted to add a few things to this post: The company parking lot is seperate from the building they work in. The parking lot is seperated by a city street. He is a Union worker. The union is giving him no help yet with being able to get his job back. He has left a message for Guy Relford and is waiting to hear from Guy.

Last edited:

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    See post #2

There are a few places its OK to be fired for, where did he work (don't name the place, just what they do).

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    He needs a lawyer now. Guy Relford.

See post #2

There are a few places its OK to be fired for, where did he work (don't name the place, just what they do).

I wouldn't even do that. Say no more unless Guy says it's okay.

Edit your post with company name and remove it for your friends sake... once it gets quoted, its out of your hands...
    Translation: Shut up. Lawyer up.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I would tell him not to waste his money on a lawyer!

In Indiana an employer cannot tell you that you cannot have a gun in your car, so he was legal there and the employer cannot go after him for that.
    However in Indiana an employer can fire you for whatever they want as long as it is not for race, sex, weight or other things that are liberal protected.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Translation: Shut up. Lawyer up.
    That seems to be your mantra lately. ;) Now if only people would listen, huh?

In Indiana an employer cannot tell you that you cannot have a gun in your car, so he was legal there and the employer cannot go after him for that.
    However in Indiana an employer can fire you for whatever they want as long as it is not for race, sex, weight or other things that are liberal protected.

But the employer DID go after him for that.

On his termination letter it was clearly stated he was fired because of having a firearm on company property.

The lawyer is the proper way to address grievances in this circumstance. I'm curious, what's your solution to being wrongfully and unlawfully terminated from unemployment if not to seek the services of a lawyer?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

They can fire you for anything the want without a reason. BUT, if they state that the job was terminated BECAUSE of the firearm in the vehicle, then they are in the wrong. That was the whole point of the law that was passed.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Just curious, but what can he gain from the lawyer, to me it seems like if he got his job back he would be fired immediately for something else that would be legal. Can he get lost wages or something? not trying to be a smart alec or anything I really just would like to know. I completely agree that it is BS to be fired for having a gun in your vehicle, I do it every day and there are several in the office here.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    If the "new" reason for firing wasn't documented exceedingly well, the company would add to their woes by facing a retaliation/wrongful termination lawsuit. OP's friend ought to be able to buy a few more guns on his settlement.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but some casting facilities use chemicals that are regulated by Homeland Security. If they exceed certain thresholds of those chemicals being present on their site, they are exempted from the parking lot law.

Top Bottom