• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    All teachers is an impossible goal. To designate a few employees that work on different levels would work. A custodian.. A teacher .. Office worker.. if a program is designed and offered people would be surprised at how many volunteer. At all schools.

Rogkin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Greenfield
    I think that teachers who would like to be armed should be properly trained and certified to carry in the classroom. Learning the value of self preservation may help them be less deadly in the classroom in other ways like revisionist history.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    An interesting tidbit I picked up today. At least one person in authority is polling Vets at the VFW's and AM's to see how they feel about volunteering to roam the schools. Open carry recomended. No policing. No hall monitoring, no teaching. Just check in, details to be worked out so other staff know who is who, and roam or sit around and be seen.

Just like other options being considered, it's early yet and many details need to be worked out.

As for worrying about things, nothing currently can prevent a teacher from CC'ing, legal or not, nor can anything prevent a teacher from running amok. NO LAW can prevent that. That being said, I wouldn't unduly worry because some staff underwent training and started legally CC'ing to prevent a Sandy Hook tragedy. I have 4 grandkids in school now, btw.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I don't think that many teachers possess the mindset necessary to wield a firearm in a deadly force encounter. Yes, I am lumping them into a group. I recognize that. I know a few teachers, and they became teachers because they want to live in a world where everything is rainbows and puppy dogs. This may be untrue for some, but this is my observation. Some type of armed security, whether it be private contractor or off duty police officer, is the way to go in my opinion.
    I somewhat agree. However many teachers are capable of handling weapons, and almost all could be trained. I have two DIL's that are elementary teachers. Both have their LTCH. One would put most of the shooters on this site to shame with either hanguns, rifles, and stay with many in skeet. She has her own Benelli shotgun (12 ga) and AK-47. Regularly shoot a .357 and has shot a friends S&W 500 Magnum handgun. She has shot my LR 308 and several of my other guns. The other DIL, although has some experience firing 22 cal AR's and 9mm handguns, probably would be less suited, but either would defend students to the death. My wife (who graduated high school in 1960, remembers a teacher that always had a handgun in a locked desk at school. I remember several who showed guns in the parking lot during hunting season, (and looked at the students hunting guns). It was normal during hunting season to see rifles / shotguns on a rack in the windows of pickups in our school parking lot. The major advantage of arming teachers or other currently employed school personnel is that many of the school districts are currently running short on funds, and hiring a "guard" would either displace a teacher or short some crucial equipment. Teachers or other personnel should have the Option, I agree. A small addition should also be made to their pay to warrant the "hassle". I certainly don't see it as ANY issue concerning their teaching duties. Those of us that carry (at least I don't) don't see any effect on the things I am doing. In fact I would hesitate if you asked me if I was carrying as I normally don't think of it at all. The only time I do is when I see a possible threat, then it becomes a real interest. As far as training, sure some would/should need training, mostly for marksmanship and gun handling. BUT remember WE are carrying every day in crowded malls, parks and areas with children around us all the time, as are almost all persons with a LTCH. A lot of the "Training" issue is liberal CRAP, kind of like saying a man with a butcher knife or a ball bat is dangerous to children unless he receives "TRAINING". In reality, as some have already stated, the arming of personnel in schools is a "deterrent", and in 99.99% of the schools no teacher/guard etc. will ever use a weapon. This is conservative as there are nearly 100,000 schools and very few incidents where an actual firing of a weapon would be justified. This would be even lower if the arming is found to be an effective deterrent.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I don't think that many teachers possess the mindset necessary to wield a firearm in a deadly force encounter. Yes, I am lumping them into a group. I recognize that. I know a few teachers, and they became teachers because they want to live in a world where everything is rainbows and puppy dogs. This may be untrue for some, but this is my observation. Some type of armed security, whether it be private contractor or off duty police officer, is the way to go in my opinion.
    Dang! My 3rd grade teacher, Sister Mary Butkus, didn't need a firearm. And she loved to torture puppies in her spare time when she wasn't flipping the bird to rainbows. Ah, the good old days (sigh.)

devious169

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Earth and you?
    I'm all for it, let the teachers and staff be our children's first line of defense. With proper trainingnof course. Better yet id rather see a police officer sitting in my kids school parking lot waiting for the next call, rather than sitting in wal-mart's parking lot.

Vicfirth01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'm all for armed security guards in every school and I think in this age it is a necessary means to protect our kids. It should be the teachers job to teach not to have to worry about defense, let that be a trained armed guards responsibility. But I do believe we need them it would also help defer people wishing to mean our kids any harm

Jhampton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    My wife is a teacher and I struggle with the lack of protection they have in schools but I don't think arming any teacher is the correct answer. With proper training I believe that some teachers would be safe with carrying but definitely not all

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    How bout this, IF a person is GOOD, they will "wield" a firearm just fine, but if a person is bad, then we know the outcome. Stop the class crap, sure they might be more proficient, but if a teacher is good, they wont shoot the students, so they should be armed to shoot the bad guy. yes they should go through a course, but i hate the judgmental crap concerning certification or piece of paper stuff.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    banks are guarded by ARMED guards. ANYTHING of value is guarded by guns. WHY ARE KIDS NOT GUARDED BY GUNS?? Its because the NRA suggested it, and the libs cant validate the NRA. simple as that

Vicfirth01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I second that vote Zippy! Kids should be protected by all means necessary. The economy is struggling for jobs, well here it is people. Put at least three armed guards in every school!! This pleases everyone, adds jobs, kids are safe, teachers are safe, betters the economy. But why don't we do it? Because we would rather pour millions of dollars of tax money into stadiums and sports teams, government provided cell phones and other political pot belly junk than protect our future, our kids, our everything!!

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    My feelings are that if a teacher WANTS to have a firearm, should have. However, I think an armed security guard, off duty Police officer or regular security( not the 90yo little old men who couldn't stop a fly), should be placed at the MAIN entrance to every school. The MAIN entrance having a metal detector that everyone has to go thru. All other entrances are locked from the outside only. A hassle yes, but a lot safer for the kids, or collage students. My opinion anyway.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom