• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnwhite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2014
    bedford
    I see a lot of people in these forums and you tube touting Glock or M&P or this that or the other. they all seem to have one thing in common they are gun snobs. now i realize that some guns are in fact just better, but just because a gun cost less than $400.00 does not mean it is automatically a bad gun. i have owned many cheap guns that did what they were supposed to do. that being to go bang when the trigger is pulled. for self defense purposes 21 feet is all the distance on average a gun needs to be accurate at and even a derringer can hit at that distance. so for the purposes of this thread i'd like to hear from some of you guys who dont just own 500-1000 dollar guns and who find the guns you can afford perfectly fine for their designed task

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've got a Nylon-66 and a Browning Buck Mark and my kids have Ruger 10/22's that fill that bill perfectly for their price range. I've also got other, center-fire types that I bought used for less than $500 that do as well.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    My most expensive gun I ever bought was a used Stag 2T @ $650 after tax.
    Most of my guns are well under $400. They all shoot well and I've gotten good use out of them. MY EDC is a SW shield 9mm, only payed $375 after shipping/transfer fee. I'm not rolling in money, never have been, probably never will be. There are many very good and useful firearms out there less than $500. $1000+ guns are something I can only dream of, but with how much guns are becoming my #1 hobby, I hope one day to own a high-end gun I can have others drool over. Until then, I'm perfectly content with my "budget" firearms. One of my favorite rifles (1940 91/30 laimated stock) was only $140 after tax.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I see very few gun snobs on INGO. I own an M&P 9c and an M&P 22 (both over $400), and I don't really see those as "snob" guns. In any event, I also own things like NEF Pardner ($69.95 when I bought it- love it), a Marlin 60 ($109.95 in 1993, love it more)...even a J.C. Higgins Model 10 12ga bolt that I bought for $55.00 in 1991 (and recently bought an unfinished stock for $95).

Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette
    I have an ATI commander that is flawless and tears a ragged hole at 7 yds. Its not a Colt but I trust it with my life. I also have a Ruger p95 that I love. Its crude and brutish but see the description of the ATI. I have $1000+ firearms that are great but they all have their purposes. Its all about research and buying right.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    I will pay for something I want. Most of my guns are not for "self defense purpose" most of them are for fun. If a gun I want is over a 1000 then I will either not get it or pay that much. If u cant afford that much or don't see the point that is up to u. But I will save for something I really want if it is to much.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Very few snobs on INGO, sir. Lots of guys are enthused about what they own. Cool with me.

Even the guys who see guns in movies and then buy it and it becomes "the best gun evar" are merely enthused.

Snobs look down on everything but like a Korth or a Blaser. Yet to see that on INGO.

As for myself, I am a big proponent of the Ruger 22/45. I believe it delivers the most gun for the fewest dollars. I own 5 MkII 22/45s all purchased at $200 or less. Great for hole punching, tin can killing and training.

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    In the past, I have had my fair share of under $500 guns in both revolver and pistol platforms. They all performed flawlessly and I enjoyed each and every one. I don't consider myself a P7 snob, I just don't care to own any other handgun now or in the future.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I see a lot of people in these forums and you tube touting Glock or M&P or this that or the other. they all seem to have one thing in common they are gun snobs. now i realize that some guns are in fact just better, but just because a gun cost less than $400.00 does not mean it is automatically a bad gun. i have owned many cheap guns that did what they were supposed to do. that being to go bang when the trigger is pulled. for self defense purposes 21 feet is all the distance on average a gun needs to be accurate at and even a derringer can hit at that distance. so for the purposes of this thread i'd like to hear from some of you guys who dont just own 500-1000 dollar guns and who find the guns you can afford perfectly fine for their designed task
    Well, what exactly do you want to hear? I own several firearms under $400, but your highpoint sucks compared to my Shield :p

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    I have a Taurus PT111 I bought when they first came out; for a little over $200. Never had a failure of any kind with it. I've owned other, under $400 guns over the years. If I had a truly expensive gun ($1000+) I'd never use use it for fear of damaging and devaluing it.

Last edited:

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    :popcorn:

I don't focus on price point. If I like it, I buy it or save up to buy it. If I don't like it, I don't buy it. Price has very little to do with my firearm-decision-making process. I've had ~$100 rifles and I've had a ~$1000 rifle. Buy what you like.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I see very few gun snobs on INGO. I own an M&P 9c and an M&P 22 (both over $400), and I don't really see those as "snob" guns. In any event, I also own things like NEF Pardner ($69.95 when I bought it- love it), a Marlin 60 ($109.95 in 1993, love it more)...even a J.C. Higgins Model 10 12ga bolt that I bought for $55.00 in 1991 (and recently bought an unfinished stock for $95).
    Yeah, I don't think the OP's been here long enough to understand the difference between brand loyalty/preference and true gun snob.

Me, I'm a true gun snob. I have two HKs now. I'm not even going to try and deny the snob status. :):

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Yeah, I don't think the OP's been here long enough to understand the difference between brand loyalty/preference and true gun snob.

Me, I'm a true gun snob. I have two HKs now. I'm not even going to try and deny the snob status. :):
    All HK owners are gun snobs. It's automatic. ;)

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    All HK owners are gun snobs. It's automatic. ;)
    Boy and how. I could feel the superiority complex seeping into the bloodstream. And it's barely noticeable, but I carry my nose just a tad ever-so higher than I did before I came into possession of the first one.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I love my HK's, but I've owned several Taurus's and Kel Tec's. Taurus I would have no issues carrying one if that's all I could afford, I just prefer glocks and HK's over Taurus. Kel Tec on the other hand I can't stand. They feel cheap, look cheap, and the triggers are awful. Hi Point and Jimenez are completely different stories. I wouldn't pay more than $100 for one.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am going to assume that the OP is specifically interested in sub $400 centerfire pistols suitable for self defense. I assume this because he mentions Glock and M & P. Obviously there are a lot of rimfire guns under $400.

Excluding the used market there are some $400 I would entertain. Ruger 9e and SR9c, MP shield come to mind. Sorry OP but in general Tauri and Kel-Tec don't make my list. I will admit the Taurus 24/7 seemed like a solid gun and their Model 85 revolver was a good old standby. Many will call me a gun snob an that is OK. When I work with new shooters I keep an MP and Glock in the bag because they just work.

Interesting observation here. When I attend training courses guess what I see in most holsters. Glock, MP, Sig, XDm and 1911 (not cheap ones). Often times these classes include handgun instructors and law enforcement. What does this observation suggest?

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I love Kimber snobs. Ya know the kinda guys who will only buy Kimber mags. Don't even bother mentioning to them that Kimber uses a Chip McCormick follower and McCormick mags are a lot cheaper.

Top Bottom