• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    A couple of us are planning a hiking trip tomorrow through Turkey Run. I know the laws have just changed regarding firearms in state parks (making it now legal) but this makes it confusing:

The Indiana Law Blog: Ind. Law - DNR lifts ban on handguns in state parks
    Yesterday a number of Indiana papers reported that handguns will no longer be banned in state parks. Here is the Indianapolis Star report, written by Will Higgins. Some quotes: It's now legal to carry a handgun in Indiana's state parks, a move seen as the latest victory for the gun lobby in Indiana. In the past, you had to keep your piece locked in your car. But under a provisional rule change, announced Thursday by the Department of Natural Resources, licensed handgun owners can pack while birding, hiking, picnicking -- whatever.
    but...

Indiana's Turkey Run State Park - Rules

2. Firearms are prohibited at all times. Any firearm, BB gun, air gun, CO2 gun, bow and arrow, or spear gun in possession in a state park must be unloaded or un-nocked and stored in a case or locked within a vehicle except when participating in an activity authorized by written permit.
    I know there will be at least 5 of you that will say "why don't you CC and not worry about it" but I don't have a holster to CC the G23 and find it more comfortable to OC. So is the Turkey Run rules just not updated or what?

HollidaySlim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Carrying of firearms in states parks is GTG. I carry at Potato Creek all the time. Gov. Daniels made an Executive Order ( I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong here) in '06 or '07.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This is akin to police departments deliberately misinforming the public as to gun laws for the reason that the police (or the Sheriff or Chief) do not like the law.

There is a sizeable backlash to the policy change as some at DNR flagpole dislike allowing the serfs the same privileges as the knights.

As well, some in DNR do not want to give the new policy any press as they fear it will scare off out-of-staters and Hoosiers who are scared of guns.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Here you go:
    http://www.in.gov/legislative/iac/T03120/A00080.PDF

Look for:
    312 IAC 8-2-3 Sec. 3 (a) (4)
    Which is on the bottom of page 3 and the top of page 4.

312 IAC 8-2-3 Firearms, hunting, and trapping Version a
    Authority: IC 14-10-2-4; IC 14-11-2-1; IC 14-22-2-6
    Affected: IC 14-22-11-1; IC 35-47-2
    NOTE: This version of section effective until January 1, 2011. See also following version of section, effective January 1, 2011.
    Sec. 3. (a) A person must not possess a firearm or bow and arrows on a DNR property unless one (1) of the following
    conditions apply:
    <snip>......
    (4) The person possesses a handgun on a DNR property other than a reservoir owned by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
    or Falls of the Ohio State Park:
    (A) with a valid unlimited license to carry a handgun:
    (i) issued under IC 35-47-2-3; or
    (ii) recognized under IC 35-47-2-21(b); or
    (B) pursuant to an exemption to handgun licensure requirements as authorized under IC 35-47-2-2.

We will be getting a "park pass" this year, and try to hit most of the State Parks before next winter. I will be semi-OC, and likely wearing my INGO hat!

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    A couple of us are planning a hiking trip tomorrow through Turkey Run. I know the laws have just changed regarding firearms in state parks (making it now legal) but this makes it confusing:

The Indiana Law Blog: Ind. Law - DNR lifts ban on handguns in state parks

but...

Indiana's Turkey Run State Park - Rules

I know there will be at least 5 of you that will say "why don't you CC and not worry about it" but I don't have a holster to CC the G23 and find it more comfortable to OC. So is the Turkey Run rules just not updated or what?
    If you get a chance head over to Marshall which is just a few miles from Turkey Run. There is a nice little gun shop there.

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    We camped there last year for our anniversary and will again this year in May. The website says no but the pamphlet you get when you enter at the gate says yes. I don't have it in front of me but it says something to the effect of ....fireams locked in cars ...unless you have a valid license. I carried there no problems.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Was just at Turkey Run 2 weekends ago OC'ing everywhere, trails, office, game room, cabins, etc. All was well. There park handouts even mention no firearms unless with legal permit!!!

God Bless America!

Top Bottom