• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    a secure / private web based service would be better. If someone steals guns from your home, your computer is probably gone as well.

Thanks for the idea though, I am heading over to google docs now to make a spreadsheet of my assets :)

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    a secure / private web based service would be better. If someone steals guns from your home, your computer is probably gone as well.

Thanks for the idea though, I am heading over to google docs now to make a spreadsheet of my assets :)

There is NO WAY I'd trust a "secure" web based service for this info let alone backing up my files. That's what they make CD's/DVD's for. Nothing over the internet is 100% secure.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    Its only serial numbers, i would be happy to post any / all of mine on the net. I just don't understand the issue really. same with people blurring their license plate before posting to the net.

I could go to any gun shop and write down all the serial numbers that I want, or drive down the street tying license plates to makes/models of car and driver by following them home if I wanted to.

evernote.com is another good note archiving software, and it has an iphone / blackberry interface :)
    just 2cents

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    There is NO WAY I'd trust a "secure" web based service for this info let alone backing up my files. That's what they make CD's/DVD's for. Nothing over the internet is 100% secure.

Not true...
    Here is a way to keep your file in the cloud and secure.
    All of these software are FREE BTW.

https://www.steganos.com/us/products/for-free/locknote/overview/
    1a) Think of it as NOTEPAD but it will encrypt the file once you are done.

or
    1b) Use excel, word, etc.. whatever you want to keep your data in then use Hide In Picture (Hide In Picture | Get Hide In Picture at SourceForge.net)

Basically you take a .BMP image of whatever you want open it with Hide In Picture and then upload your file into the image. The image will continue to look like an image file and will open as an image in any image editor but inside that image file your "data file" will be encrypted with the password of your choice.

Now take 1a or 1b and open a free DropBox account (https://www.getdropbox.com/) I think they are giving 2 GB of free space right now. Upload your "image" or "encrypted" .txt file and it's now in the cloud encrypted.

Of it you are really, really paranoid do a DOUBLE encrypted file using TrueCrypt (TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux). Basically you create a container where you store your data encrypted. Then you place that encrypted data INSIDE another encrypted data container in TrueCrypt. The software does it all for you and you end up with 2 passwords. You then upload this file to the cloud. So even if someone finds the file and puts a gun to your head and demands the password you can give them the "fake" password which will decrypt the container but only show the "dummy" portion where you will have some bogus data. Even if an IT techy looks at the data they won't know that their is a second "encrypt" partition in the file. :D

So hide all your stuff worry free from anyone. Make sure after you hide your stuff to zero-wipe your hard drive of any info as well.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Not true...

or
    1b) Use excel, word, etc.. whatever you want to keep your data in then use Hide In Picture (Hide In Picture | Get Hide In Picture at SourceForge.net)

Basically you take a .BMP image of whatever you want open it with Hide In Picture and then upload your file into the image. The image will continue to look like an image file and will open as an image in any image editor but inside that image file your "data file" will be encrypted with the password of your choice.

Now take 1a or 1b and open a free DropBox account (https://www.getdropbox.com/) I think they are giving 2 GB of free space right now. Upload your "image" or "encrypted" .txt file and it's now in the cloud encrypted.

Of it you are really, really paranoid do a DOUBLE encrypted file using TrueCrypt (TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux). Basically you create a container where you store your data encrypted. Then you place that encrypted data INSIDE another encrypted data container in TrueCrypt. The software does it all for you and you end up with 2 passwords. You then upload this file to the cloud. So even if someone finds the file and puts a gun to your head and demands the password you can give them the "fake" password which will decrypt the container but only show the "dummy" portion where you will have some bogus data. Even if an IT techy looks at the data they won't know that their is a second "encrypt" partition in the file. :D

So hide all your stuff worry free from anyone. Make sure after you hide your stuff to zero-wipe your hard drive of any info as well.

Meh, I'm too paranoid for all that encryption. After watching a friend of mine crack steganos in 96 seconds I quit using it. :): Like I said, NOTHING over the net is secure. Encrypt all you want, but if "they" (whoever you want "they" to be) want it bad enough, they'll crack it. I'll stick with stand alone's or just paper when it comes to most my stuff. :thumbsup:

Now if you have some nifty Ballistics and Trajectory freeware I'd be all over that! :):

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Not true...

or

Good points on TrueCrypt - with a good password, it is ALMOST invulnerable to attack, but it does have one not-so-obvious but easily-done defeat: compressed air and switched RAM.

Center for Information Technology Policy Lest We Remember: Cold Boot Attacks on Encryption Keys

But as for non-physical access, it's probably the most secure product out there, but I've also heard things about Windows' new scheme, BitLocker.

I just use the old standard Windows Encryption Scheme (EFS).

I once encrypted all files on my old machine, went to upgrade OS, did NOT copy the private key beforehand, overwrote the private key with the re-install, and despite multiple attempts with the only known piece of software able to recover private keys and thereby decrypt EFS, AEFSDR by Elcomsoft,

Advanced EFS Data Recovery : Decrypt and recover files protected with the Encrypting File System (EFS)

I still am locked out of my own files... and it'd take something like fifty years running a terahertz machine to brute-force it, as I'm pretty sure EFS uses something like RSA-4096, which is, using today's methods of cryptography, almost unbreakable by brute-force. So, that was the biggest re-start of my life, and I learned my lesson... Continue? (Y/N) 10... 9... 8... 7... (sigh)

Then again, a product like TrueCrypt, BitLocker, EFS, or the like have one advantage: they're invulnerable against rubber-hose cryptography (e.g.; someone beating you with a rubber hose for the password). I like to take myself out of the equation whenever possible. For instance, I use Firefox and have it remember all saved passwords, protected by one master password - I type in a random phrase, copy it to Notepad, and for passwords required by a site, copy it, let FF do the work of remembering it, and I also use another program to set my master password based on a word that I input (it does something to it algorithmically or something to change it), and without looking at it, I copy-paste it into FF. And I don't even have anything on here of value save some music and old photos and a few movies. But if there were anything valuable, even if someone were to rip my fingernails out, I literally have nothing of value to them as I do not know the password,, so they'd probably have to kill me.... and that means they're never getting the supposed information which they're after.

Meh, I'm too paranoid for all that encryption. After watching a friend of mine crack steganos in 96 seconds I quit using it. :): Like I said, NOTHING over the net is secure. Encrypt all you want, but if "they" (whoever you want "they" to be) want it bad enough, they'll crack it. I'll stick with stand alone's or just paper when it comes to most my stuff. :thumbsup:

Now if you have some nifty Ballistics and Trajectory freeware I'd be all over that! :):

Another program worth noting is Camera/Shy,

CameraShy | Get CameraShy at SourceForge.net

an IE-based web-browser released by the cDc which automatically scans for steganographically-encrypted images (ONLY in .gif, though, which is seeing less and less usage these days with the effective overhaul provided by other formats such as .tiff or .png), and allows for the re-encryption of messages into images.... this ONLY allows text, due to nefarious people sometimes using steganography for illegal/immoral purposes. Say you want to let everyone but Bob know to attend the party this weekend, as you don't want him there because he's a jerk. Send an image file invite listing time, place, etc., all false-flagged (Buffalo Wild Wings at 7:00p.m. on Thursday), but put the real invite "inside" the note via text steganography (Bob's bar, Thursday, 6:00 p.m.) Bob would show up at BBW on Thurs. at 7, whereas everyone else you want to come will be at Bob's Bar at 6:00 by opening the image in their browser. The point isn't that it's uncrackable, steganography is EASILY broken via many different methods of attack, it's that the adversary isn't likely to be looking heavily into what's written, basically a purloined letter, secrets out in the open. A nifty tool for all but the most sensitive data. Chinese dissidents sometimes use this for publishing information/anti-propaganda/General Tsao's Chicken recipes to the world outside of the 'Great Firewall.'

But I agree, for keeping information about firearms, all of that seems like overkill. Pencil and paper have not yet outlived their usefulness.

Oh, and while I haven't tried any of these programs, and so cannot vouch for them, this page seems like a good start for Ballistics/Trajectory Software:

Ballistics Software

:ar15:

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom