• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    I just came across this program on another forum. It keeps track of serial numbers, accessories, caliber, condition, maintenance dates, current pictures, purchase/sales info, and a lot more. The best part is that it's free :rockwoot:

GunSafe - Firearms Collection Software

The only downside is that it is only for PC.

It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but it functions.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I just came across this program on another forum. It keeps track of serial numbers, accessories, caliber, condition, maintenance dates, current pictures, purchase/sales info, and a lot more. The best part is that it's free :rockwoot:

GunSafe - Firearms Collection Software

The only downside is that it is only for PC.

It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but it functions.

Pencil and paper have not yet lost their usefulness.

If there's an electro-magnetic pulse or for some reason I need to wipe my computer, I like knowing that sitting in the safe is my log.:n00b:

This would be a nice back-up, but I wouldn't rely on anything I can't touch or flip through in the event of some serious SHTF.

Still, thanks for the heads up.

D/L'd.

:yesway::yesway:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Pencil and paper have not yet lost their usefulness.

If there's an electro-magnetic pulse or for some reason I need to wipe my computer, I like knowing that sitting in the safe is my log.:n00b:

This would be a nice back-up, but I wouldn't rely on anything I can't touch or flip through in the event of some serious SHTF.

Still, thanks for the heads up.

D/L'd.

:yesway::yesway:
    So why don't you use the program, then print it out? Then you have your hard copy and your backup all right there and you're not trying to keep 2 separate logs. I use gun-safe and keep digital copies elsewhere, off-site so that in the event of a housefire, or emergency etc. I may still have access to these things.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I made up an excel spreadsheet for all that data. It keeps track of total value, plud individual data on each firearm. I print it out, for the safe, and keep a CD backup n the safe deposit box. Infinately customizeable, and also free.....

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I made up an excel spreadsheet for all that data. It keeps track of total value, plud individual data on each firearm. I print it out, for the safe, and keep a CD backup n the safe deposit box. Infinately customizeable, and also free.....

That's what I'm using, too, but a relational database works a lot better for something like this. I haven't been bothered to make one yet, but this looks like it'll fit the bill. It's no longer under development, though, so if you use it make sure you can export the data into a usable format or you may be screwed in a year or two years or five years when you upgrade your OS and the software doesn't run on it. I would recommend exporting to a common format (like a spreadsheet or plain text) on a regular basis and saving on durable media (like a CD) and/or printing a hard copy to put in the safe.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Ok, I understand recording the make/model and serial number, but why on earth would you want to put that info on your computer?

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Ok, I understand recording the make/model and serial number, but why on earth would you want to put that info on your computer?

I use the excel program, that resides on my computer. The spreadsheet itself and it's datafiles, are kept on a thumb drive. Insert into a USB port, manipulate data, save to thumb drive, pull thumb drive out of USB port, secure thumb drive....... good to go. :yesway:

ps.....read/write access to the thumb drive, and its data, are PGP encrypted.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I use the excel program, that resides on my computer. The spreadsheet itself and it's datafiles, are kept on a thumb drive. Insert into a USB port, manipulate data, save to thumb drive, pull thumb drive out of USB port, secure thumb drive....... good to go. :yesway:

Gotcha. There's just no way I'd keep that info on my computer.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Gotcha. There's just no way I'd keep that info on my computer.

The really nice part (hope I never have to use it) is that if the guns were ever to get stolen, I have ALL the #'s, and pics of distinguishing marks, to simply print, or email to an insurance company, or local gun shops, or wherever.....

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN

I have done the same but I also linked pictures to the name of the firearm so that you can click on a link and see the item in question

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I've got detailed pics and all my serial numbers, but the Serial's and accessories and etc aren't something I'd want on my computer. Keeping them on a thumb drive wouldn't be too bad I guess.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I just did a inventory on all my ammo last week this is exactly what I was looking for to do my guns,mags,scopes,eotec's, holsters and such, thanks for the link,

17Chap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I believe the "Lee Shooter" program has an inventory or records feature as well as loading data. I think Midway has it on sale this month.

Chap

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I can't get to it from work, but I'll post it and send you a sample file later this afternoon.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I've got detailed pics and all my serial numbers, but the Serial's and accessories and etc aren't something I'd want on my computer. Keeping them on a thumb drive wouldn't be too bad I guess.

Make sure you password/encrypt the drive, then.

No need for the whole neighborhood to know what's in your armory just because you left it at the library...

Definitely good ideas.

I'm trying to come up with a Microsoft Access database-type setup so I can just plug-and-chug, as this Gun Safe thing looks pretty simple - and very decent - but it leaves out a few fields which I would like (distinguishing physical marks; worn ejector port, scratches, etc...)

CountryBoy619 - You are absolutely right, and from now on, I think this is what I will do, once I can get this all setup.

So far, these are the fields I've got:

Type of Weapon: (handgun, long gun, NFA, AOW, other)
    Name of Manufacturer:
    Location of Manufacturer:
    Date of purchase/acquisition:
    Name of Location/Dealer purchased from:
    Model of Weapon:
    Caliber of Weapon: (just for thoroughness' sake)
    Serial # of Weapon:
    Color/finish of Weapon:
    Rounds of Ammunition currently on-hand for Weapon:
    Number of Magazines for said Weapon:
    Location of Weapon: (Safe, Gun rack, gunsmith's shop)
    Condition of Weapon:
    Person to whom Weapon shall be issued upon my demise: (this will help in planning one's Estate, too)
    Purchase price of Weapon: (helpful when needing to know profit/loss margins in trades, sales, etc.)

Definitely wouldn't want to leave any of this info on an un-encrypted, un-firewalled machine, or laying out, but in case of fire, theft, sale, or your death if the S.W.A.T. team pulls another Ruby Ridge/Waco on you, this is all very helpful.

Paper is best, but I don't see why I can't enter it all in electronically... makes for easier updates.

:popcorn:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom