• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Well, after months of waiting for a G20 gen 4 to show at my favorite LGS, a gen 3 arrives and I have to decided whether to take it or wait (even longer) for a gen 4.

I took it.

Some interesting comparisons to my G22 Gen 4. The 10mm isn't that much bigger, really. In terms of length height, etc, it really doesn't look much different than a G22.

Instead, it's the thickness that you notice. This would def be a lot trickier to carry as a full size CC.

The main difference-- and it's a big one-- is weight. Good Lord this thing feels rather porky compared to a G22. Still lighter than any std 1911, but no doubt that it is less responsive and less agile in a tactical situation. Enough to matter? Hard to say.

There is an upside to that weight. I'm sure it helps a lot to tame some of the hotter loads in 10mm. It also makes the .357 or .40 conversions pretty mild shooters.

Anyway, the brief but great experience with my G22 is coming to an end. More to come as I get some accessories going on for the new G20.

First, I have to get it shootable, since I accidentally let one of the striker spring cups go flying across my garage when I had it down for part polishing, so I'm waiting on parts.

:D

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Good on you for getting one.

Bad on you for playing with it before taking it out and shooting it.

Maybe so. I had such good results polishing the stock parts on my G22. Then I got the G20 and the trigger was nowhere near as good in dry firing practice.

Hence, I decided to go ahead and polish a couple key parts. I haven't replaced anything with aftermarket parts. I'm expecting not to replace any trigger parts, just polish the stock setup and reassemble.

I'm anxious to get it out and get it broken in, as this is going to be a gun I will have for a LOOOOONG time.

Glocks with really high round counts tend to have pretty nice triggers, and I suspect that the success of the polish jobs relates to speeding up what nature would do after a couple thousand rounds.

H

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

edit

Last edited:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    You are not going to feel / notice a difference between shooting a 10mm and .40 unless you get a hold of some full power 10mm ammo. Otherwise shooting commercial 10mm is the same thing as shooting .40.

XDmShootr21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    Brazil, Indiana
    I've been lookin at a 4th gen G20 on glock store for a while now, I'm weighing my options on purchasing this or using the money as a down payment on my first AR platform rifle.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    You are not going to feel / notice a difference between shooting a 10mm and .40 unless you get a hold of some full power 10mm ammo. Otherwise shooting commercial 10mm is the same thing as shooting .40.

Only one company that I purchase 10mm ammo from is Underwood. They load THE hottest 10mm and their advertised velocities are accurate (unlike Double Tap). If you like the Underwood Ammo page on Facebook you will know right away when their stuff is back on the shelves (their 10mm stuff goes very fast).

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

Indeed. Part of the appeal of the 10mm is that you have anything from full house 10mm to milder 40SW-strength loads available.

Never mind the huge versatility with all the caliber converstion options you can use.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Indeed. Part of the appeal of the 10mm is that you have anything from full house 10mm to milder 40SW-strength loads available.

Never mind the huge versatility with all the caliber converstion options you can use.

Don't forget putting a 6 or 6.6" threaded LWD bbl in it, or building the Long Slide like I did :D

Back to your parts issue- I damaged a set building my long-slide so when I ordered replacements I got several since it seemed silly to have the gun out of commission for a half-cent's worth of plastic.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    heh. I did the same thing last night, launching a spring cup into the dark recesses of the garage.

I managed to get a free replacement and a spare set this morning at a GSSF match.

Those little plastic bastards are a must for a spares kit.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Don't forget putting a 6 or 6.6" threaded LWD bbl in it, or building the Long Slide like I did :D

Back to your parts issue- I damaged a set building my long-slide so when I ordered replacements I got several since it seemed silly to have the gun out of commission for a half-cent's worth of plastic.

Once I get the gun up and running, I have a rough plan of upgrades and enhancements/accessories planned:

-- .40SW conversion bbl to shoot .40.
    -- Longer 10mm bbl (6.6 threaded LWD is highest on list at present)
    -- Additional mags. For now, 30rds of 10mm is plenty.
    -- Better sights. I like ghost rings, but am also looking at Big Dots and regular 3-dots from the usual suspects.
    -- Mech Tech CCU. A Red dot on this guy seems like pretty good home defense rifle with hotter 10mm ammo. (Hey, until could score an MP5/10, this will have to do).
    -- maybe a .357 sig or 9x25 conversion just to explore those options.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    When you do get the .40 S&W conversion be sure to let us know how it works. I asked a question concerning the mags when doing that and if anyone had any feeding issues when using the shorter .40 in the the G20 mags.

Top Bottom